The Future of RIMM

Posted: 25 June 2012 04:48 PM #196

RIMM is facing a lot of pressure. Their first BB10 phones won’t have keyboards, businesses implementing BB10 will have to put in a new infrastructure, in addtion to the current BES infrastructure. Most recently, there have been talks of RIM breaking up into two smaller (and easier to sell) pieces.

RIMM is currently around $9.02

• Posted: 28 June 2012 08:44 PM #197

Revenue for the first quarter of fiscal 2013 was $2.8 billion, down 33% from $4.2 billion in the previous quarter and down 43% from $4.9 billion in the same quarter of fiscal 2012. The revenue breakdown for the quarter was approximately 59% for hardware, 36% for service and 5% for software and other revenue. During the quarter, RIM shipped 7.8 million BlackBerry smartphones and approximately 260,000 BlackBerry PlayBook tablets.

Source

?RIM announced that its next mobile operating system, BlackBerry 10, won?t launch until 2013,? Steve Kovach reports for The Business Insider.

Source

Here’s my question: How could one NOT see this coming?

After the iPhone, Palm dumped their old OS almost immediately and created webOS. But they were already too late. A little later, Microsoft did the same thing and despite their extensive business connections and deep pockets, they’ve still been unable to gain any traction with Windows Phone 7 In fact, last week they just re-booted their phone operating system - AGAIN.

RIM was in complete denial until very recently and they STILL haven’t been able to announce a date for their upcoming mobile operating system to ship. Not that it matters. Their new operating system could be powered by unicorn tears and it would still be far too late to make any impact on the market.

Again I ask: How could one NOT see this coming?

• Posted: 28 June 2012 10:49 PM #198

FalKirk - 28 June 2012 11:44 PM

Revenue for the first quarter of fiscal 2013 was $2.8 billion, down 33% from $4.2 billion in the previous quarter and down 43% from $4.9 billion in the same quarter of fiscal 2012. The revenue breakdown for the quarter was approximately 59% for hardware, 36% for service and 5% for software and other revenue. During the quarter, RIM shipped 7.8 million BlackBerry smartphones and approximately 260,000 BlackBerry PlayBook tablets.

Source

?RIM announced that its next mobile operating system, BlackBerry 10, won?t launch until 2013,? Steve Kovach reports for The Business Insider.

Source

Here’s my question: How could one NOT see this coming?

After the iPhone, Palm dumped their old OS almost immediately and created webOS. But they were already too late. A little later, Microsoft did the same thing and despite their extensive business connections and deep pockets, they’ve still been unable to gain any traction with Windows Phone 7 In fact, last week they just re-booted their phone operating system - AGAIN.

RIM was in complete denial until very recently and they STILL haven’t been able to announce a date for their upcoming mobile operating system to ship. Not that it matters. Their new operating system could be powered by unicorn tears and it would still be far too late to make any impact on the market.

Again I ask: How could one NOT see this coming?

Only the retarded (unable to see the genesis of a paradigm shift) missed what iOS meant to mobile computing.  The only ones that got it was Palm. Of course their effort was fueled by former Apple people. 

If Palm had the unfettered backing of a MSFT this would be a two horse race.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 17 August 2012 08:49 PM #199

Just a little thread bump for my favorite phone company, those mindless geeks at RIMM….Hello, hello?  Anyone out there…

http://www.bgr.com/2012/08/16/blackberry-market-share-us-2012-usage/

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 17 August 2012 10:32 PM #200

Red Shirted Ensign - 17 August 2012 11:49 PM

Just a little thread bump for my favorite phone company, those mindless geeks at RIMM….Hello, hello?  Anyone out there…

http://www.bgr.com/2012/08/16/blackberry-market-share-us-2012-usage/

What’s to say? They’re dead men walking, they just don’t know it yet.

The idea that they can jump into this market with a product that isn’t going to come out until after Christmas is ludicrous. Microsoft was the largest company in the world when they initiated Windows Phone 7 and they had the greatest network of manufacturing partners and distributors and business connections in the world and they had a seemingly bottomless war chest…

...and their phone has gone exactly nowhere.

RIM has none of those advantages. They have no product. They have no developers. They have no war chest. People have lost confidence in them. Their proposed product has no earth shattering features. They have no time. They have no chance.

Sorry to be so wishy washy.

Posted: 17 August 2012 10:35 PM #201

A song comes to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiKcd7yPLdU

Sad.  RIM was a good company, just like SJ said it was, and I’m sure he meant it.  But they couldn’t navigate the disruptive wave…

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 17 August 2012 10:42 PM #202

Mav - 18 August 2012 01:35 AM

A song comes to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiKcd7yPLdU.

No. No it doesn’t.

LOL

Posted: 17 August 2012 10:48 PM #203

Fine.  Pick your own song.  It’s not my fault they didn’t say one _percent_…

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 17 August 2012 10:56 PM #204

Mav - 18 August 2012 01:48 AM

Fine.  Pick your own song.  It’s not my fault they didn’t say one _percent_…

“One percent is the loneliest number that you’ll ever know…”

Catchy, I’d buy the single.

• Posted: 24 August 2012 11:00 PM #205

The Samsung verdict has to be scary to all the Android phone makers.  Here we have RIM plugging away on their own OS, and still selling a decent amount of product.

This has me thinking about a speculative play on RIMM now.  Comments?

Posted: 24 August 2012 11:04 PM #206

I wouldn’t know about DECENT, but there’s an indirect boost to BlackBerry, if they have enough gas in the tank and leadership in the helm to grasp this opportunity.

To use a maybe-bad analogy, it’s like Sprint.  Fate uncertain anyway, but you gotta try.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 24 August 2012 11:34 PM #207

Lstream - 25 August 2012 02:00 AM

This has me thinking about a speculative play on RIMM now.  Comments?

Really? I wouldn’t dream of advising you on how to invest your money, but RIMM? In my opinion, they are as dead as a door knob. And less useful to boot.

Their QNX alternative will come to market five and a half years late. It will miss the holiday season. It has all the disadvantages of Windows Phone 7 and none of Microsoft’s advantages in resources and connections.

It’s like trying to volunteering to be Hitler’s body guard in the sumer of 1945. There’s no future in it.

• Posted: 24 August 2012 11:52 PM #208

As an independent, they are very likely dead.  Agree with that.

BUT, their market cap is $3.9B.  My thought is a speculative play.  They have patents, an OS that is at least a starting point, and various other assets.  Google paid $12B for MMI.  Who is to say that a large player like Samsung wouldn’t see enough value in RIM to pay quite a bit more than the current market cap?  Especially in that aftermath of today’s decision, that has to send shockwaves through the entire Android ecosystem.  Sammie may decide that the patents alone are worth more than the current market cap.

• Posted: 25 August 2012 12:01 AM #209

Mav - 18 August 2012 01:35 AM

A song comes to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiKcd7yPLdU

Sad.  RIM was a good company, just like SJ said it was, and I’m sure he meant it.  But they couldn’t navigate the disruptive wave…

Samsung lawyers caught in a bar at the karaoke machine singing this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTGk39b8csY&feature=related

• Posted: 25 August 2012 12:25 AM #210

Lstream - 25 August 2012 02:52 AM

As an independent, they are very likely dead.  Agree with that.

BUT, their market cap is $3.9B.  My thought is a speculative play.

Right. Rimm is going to lose their independence. But there’s probably lots of money to be made between now and then.