When Are You Upgrading to Lion?

Poll: Apple is releasing OS X Lion in July. Are you planning on upgrading to the new OS, or are you holding out?
Total Votes: 93
I’m already running the Lion beta.
I’m upgrading on launch day.
I’m holding out for the first update.
I’m giving Apple 6 months to work out the bugs.
No upgrade for me because my Mac isn’t compatible.
Why upgrade? I’m happy with the version of OS X I already have.

Posted: 21 June 2011 11:10 AM

Apple is releasing OS X Lion in July. Are you planning on upgrading to the new OS, or are you holding out?

• Posted: 21 June 2011 11:37 AM #1

I’ll upgrade as soon as I can, but only after I confirm that it won’t hobble any of my main apps, like CS5 or FontExplorer.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

• Posted: 21 June 2011 11:57 AM #2

I’m having trouble with user “fast switching” where it is locking up my iMac - so I will probably upgrade early on to see if that fixes things.

• Posted: 21 June 2011 12:09 PM #3

I’m actually going to wait a week or two in order to make sure a few important apps work well.  Once I hear that, or don’t hear about problems, then I’ll upgrade.

Signature

Talk to you later
    PAL

Posted: 21 June 2011 12:13 PM #4

Waiting probably to the first update or so, but only because I need to find a replacement for Quicken 2006 and get that all set up with my finance data before I do the X update.

Signature

Dean Lewis
    http://www.offbalance.com
    "Now that you’re dead, your usefulness to me
    has ended! But I’ll keep your shoes. BWAHAHAHA"
    —The Lightning Bug, J-Men Forever (1978)

Posted: 21 June 2011 12:14 PM #5

FlipFriddle - 21 June 2011 02:37 PM

I’ll upgrade as soon as I can, but only after I confirm that it won’t hobble any of my main apps, like CS5 or FontExplorer.

Same here, I don’t want to upgrade from CS4 and Office 2011 unless I have to.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 21 June 2011 12:41 PM #6

I will wait for the pioneers to update first.  As soon as it looks like all is well I will update.

There needs to be an option between;

As soon as it is available

and

6 months.

Andy D

• Posted: 21 June 2011 12:50 PM #7

Apple is headed in the wrong direction.  They should be making iOS more like OS X, instead their making OS X more like the limited iOS devices.  And why in the world would I want my desktop to look like Windows 3.1 with little icons all over the place?

Not looking forward to Lion at all.  If this is really the way Apple is headed, driving OS X down to the lowest common denominator, I can see Linux in my future.  Might take another 5 to 10 years, but Apple will kill the Mac this way.

Signature

3 iMac’s
    15” MacBook Pro
    4 iPods
    3 iPhone 4Ss
    1 iPhone 5
    2 - 64GB WiFi only iPad2s
    it’s a Mac House

• Posted: 21 June 2011 12:57 PM #8

As usual, I’ll upgrade on launch day. Also as usual, I’ll upgrade one machine at a time, starting with my laptop. It’s basically a mirror of my main machine, so I can check app compatibility and keep Her happy that She can still VPN (I still remember the Tiger and Cisco 6 week debacle—I learned a lesson there) and check Her e-mail, etc.

I still have an online game I play that requires Rosetta…but I can play the Windows version in Parallels, so I’ll be making sure Parallels and Bootcamp are still functioning as now.

Posted: 21 June 2011 03:11 PM #9

Partsmutt - 21 June 2011 03:50 PM

Apple is headed in the wrong direction.  They should be making iOS more like OS X, instead their making OS X more like the limited iOS devices.  And why in the world would I want my desktop to look like Windows 3.1 with little icons all over the place?

You seem to have a completely inaccurate idea of what OS X 10.7 Lion is like. OS X is not turning into iOS. Yes, it mixes in some of the simplification and ‘touch’ features of iOS, but (in, at least, my opinion) only where it makes for a more streamline user experience. A lot of the changes make it even more useful for those who use a trackpad - which a pretty hefty majority of Macs come with, nowadays - rather than a mouse. Of course, it is still just usable with a mouse, as it was before, but if you have a trackpad to use it with, you can do some pretty cool stuff that you couldn’t before.

I’m not sure what you’re referring to by ‘desktop look like Windows 3.1 with little icons all over the place’, because OS X 10.7 is no more like that than 10.6, or earlier, were. Maybe you mean Launchpad, for accessing your apps? If so, then 1) You can call it up or dismiss it with a single key, or set a mouse button to do that. Also, it is completely optional! If you prefer to access your apps by drilling into a folder, or having the folder on the Dock and accessing it from there, both of those options still work exactly as they do in 10.6.

Lastly, making iOS much more like OS X would be a bad, bad idea. Apple has made really good choices in what to keep and what to cut, when engineering iOS. Bolting on a bunch of stuff from OS X, just to make it more of a ‘real computer’, would likely ruin it. It is simpler and different from OS X for a lot of good reasons. If you want something very Mac-like that is very light and portable, you can get that in a MacBook Air.

Signature

Just remember one thing….

Posted: 21 June 2011 03:12 PM #10

I wish I were running it now. I am ready to try out iCloud. While I will miss my iDisk and website I have been plagued with sync problems since I added my fourth Mac to mix and keychain sync is killing me. I wish I could run Lion today and jump onto iCloud right after. The iOS 5 beta seems pretty solid so far too. I am ready for the next leap forward in Mac tech. 

Come on Apple Let Lion out of it’s cage!

Signature

Paul “The Mac Guy” Scott

Posted: 21 June 2011 04:39 PM #11

Partsmutt - 21 June 2011 03:50 PM

Not looking forward to Lion at all.  If this is really the way Apple is headed, driving OS X down to the lowest common denominator, I can see Linux in my future.  Might take another 5 to 10 years, but Apple will kill the Mac this way.

Remember that Apple engineers use this software too.  They won’t change it to where it is undesirable to them for their programming and office work.

As MOSiX Man said, LaunchPad is optional and an extra feature. The desktop still works the same way it did.

If they ever do destroy the utility of Mac OS X, I would also move to linux, but I think there’d be an uproar from internal Apple employees first and I don’t think the execs are stupid enough to push out a product that their own employees hate.  Especially since they are so into the “passionate” thing.

• Posted: 21 June 2011 05:06 PM #12

I have to find some replacements for old Power PC apps I still use on occasion.  Don’t know why Rosetta couldn’t have made the cut at least as an optional, unsupported add-on.

• Posted: 21 June 2011 06:23 PM #13

I wouldn’t worry too much, at least not yet.

My thought is that we’re not headed toward Mac OS X being dumbed down, but rather that you’ll have two different options for UI. It would be similar to the new ability to run apps full screen or in a window… but running deeper in the OS.

I think we are headed toward a future where Mac OS X and iOS eventually merge into one OS that runs all the same binary applications. It would have a desktop interface you can use on a full computer, with the option to run a full-screen iOS-like interface. It would not be a choice on mobile devices, but it would be on computers.

Posted: 21 June 2011 07:37 PM #14

Incompatible iMac here. 1st-gen Core Duo. Looking to upgrade to an i7 iMac sometime after Lion hits though.

I also have 2 apps that rely on Rosetta; my scanner and Flash MX. The scanner may have a workaround, Flash MX was needed for a job which I quit. Neither are vital, both are in line to be replaced.

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

• Posted: 21 June 2011 09:25 PM #15

I’d LIKE to use Lion…..BUT

1.  I always wait a few weeks at least—to let bugs get discovered and ironed out.

2.  The big question for me is software compatibility and Rosetta.

If I lose Rosetta, then the change will entail a LOT of WORK, new softwares, and some DIMINISHMENT in features within those new softwares.
    I’d have to replace the functionality of MS Entourage 2008 and Ouicken 2007….and I’m not sure that it can be fully done.
    So the question is IF and WHEN to undertake all that work (in re-creating my current work flows and features.)

Will MS Office 2010 run on Lion?