When Are You Upgrading to Lion?

Poll: Apple is releasing OS X Lion in July. Are you planning on upgrading to the new OS, or are you holding out?
Total Votes: 93
I’m already running the Lion beta.
9
I’m upgrading on launch day.
46
I’m holding out for the first update.
11
I’m giving Apple 6 months to work out the bugs.
15
No upgrade for me because my Mac isn’t compatible.
6
Why upgrade? I’m happy with the version of OS X I already have.
6
  • Avatar

    Posted: 22 June 2011 01:00 AM #16

    KitsuneStudios - 21 June 2011 10:37 PM

    The scanner may have a workaround

    I take that back. Epson did, in fact, release drivers for the Image Capture app added by Apple in 10.6. They should be compatible with Lion. I won’t need to pay $40 for the workaround (VueScan, which is an excellent program, but overkill for my needs)

    And while Flash MX still has a superior vector brush to Flash CS3, I can cope with CS3 o a much faster computer while saving up for the far superior brush tools in Toon Boom Studio or Animate.

    Signature

    -Jon Roth

    Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

         
  • Posted: 22 June 2011 03:37 AM #17

    I expect I will be required to upgrade at work shortly after launch in order to use development tools for iOS 5. I’m looking forward to having an option to try out the OS before committing to it at home where I run lots of old software.

    Up until very recently I was planning to move to Lion at home with the purchase of a 2012 iMac, but Intel is delaying their Ivy Bridge processors until March/April of 2012 which means an Ivy Bridge based iMac is unlikely to appear until next summer.

    My credit is stretched to the limit right now or I’d buy a new iMac today and keep running Snow Leopard until I’ve replaced all my Rosetta dependent software.

    The cheapest route might be to get an old G5 to run the PowerPC software and network it to my current Mac running Lion. I don’t like the idea though. Running multiple machines is a pain in the neck that I have too many years of experience with.

    There is one other option. Snow Leopard Server runs inside a virtual machine. If, when Lion is released, Apple would permit the standard Snow Leopard to be virtualized then I could use the VM to run PowerPC apps. I know I’m probably dreaming, but it would be a really good solution for many of us with older applications.

         
  • Posted: 22 June 2011 10:47 AM #18

    I ticked upgrade on launch day, but that will probably be on only one of my 3 macs..

    Still unclear about whether or not I’ll need to download 4GB three times or not, and I’m unsure whether my early MB AIR will go slower, i.e. whether its worth it or not?

    And I just don’t feel excited by this update for some gut reason…

    Mvh

         
  • Posted: 22 June 2011 11:43 AM #19

    With not 1 but 3 internal drives on my MacPro I can run 10.5, 10.6, and 10.7 as I wish. What I do wish is that I could run Classic as a guest OS like DOSBox.

    I’ll also be immideatly upgrading my 10.6 MacMini Server to Lion Server.

         
  • Posted: 22 June 2011 11:44 AM #20

    I will probably upgrade on launch day (my vote), but realistically, it will depend on where I am that day, and what sort of internet access I have.

    More realistically, it may have to wait until my next trip back to the USA or the UK.

    Signature

    wab95

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 22 June 2011 11:57 AM #21

    I like most of what I read about how Lion does things, and its new features, so I’m interested. I do share the concerns about software compatibility and workflow. I’ll want to see how those first few months pan out.

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 22 June 2011 12:17 PM #22

    I’m already testing Lion on an external FW drive on my 17” MBP and 27” i7 iMac.  I’m really loving it and I’m finding very few incompatibility issues.  Most major software titles have already released Lion compatible versions (Pathfinder, Default FolderX, iStat, 1Password, TextExpander, etc).  I highly recommend adding a Magic Trackpad if your Mac isn’t equipped.  Lion is built to be touched.

    Signature

    Joe Kelley: Owner of Kelley Data, Inc. (http://www.kelleydata.com) and managing editor of the MacTexan web site (http://www.mactexan.com).

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 22 June 2011 01:09 PM #23

    FlipFriddle - 21 June 2011 02:37 PM

    I’ll upgrade as soon as I can, but only after I confirm that it won’t hobble any of my main apps, like CS5 or FontExplorer.

    I put immediately but that’s more correct. I have a few apps that I must use so ‘immediately’ is likely to be in the first month once I get verification or replacements.

    Signature

    Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

         
  • Posted: 22 June 2011 01:42 PM #24

    Considering the appallingly numerous (and still unrectified) problems I have had, first with upgrading my 2008 17” Macbook Pro to Snow Leopard (including the DVD no longer being able to burn on any media - still unfixed, though it works fine on Windows Vista through Bootcamp - Oh, the IRONY !! - as well as incessant System hangs and slowdown) and now with constant Wi-Fi issues on my brand new iMac 27” i7 running Snow Leopard (seems not to be hardware as my Windows 7 partition works fine ... once again), for the first time in my life, I will be upgrading straight away rather than awaiting a .3 release (and will do so with fingers crossed).  Unless it wipes all the data off my drives, it really couldn’t be any worse than SL has been ...

         
  • Posted: 22 June 2011 03:29 PM #25

    I’d like to upgrade, but that will have to wait for some substitute for Rosetta, as I have decades of work in Canvas files, and still find Canvas to be the best Mac graphic package for my purposes, but unfortunately OS X Canvas is never going to be updated for Intel. I’m hoping that somebody will hack a way to run a Rosetta capable version of the Mac OS using VMWare or Parallels.

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 22 June 2011 09:27 PM #26

    I’m so less geeky than anyone posting here that I had to click “i will wait 6 months” because my mobile me acct will still be working. Then, I have to make a choice!

    I am traveling in the summer and the last thing I need is a headache from the lap top not working or the desktop not working. I do not own an iphone or ipad or ipod touch so no cool features there will entice me!

    I just want my mail sync a version of i disc, book mark sync and really the caldev calendar to pretty much stay the same.

    I will use my one on one subscription to go to the apple store many times to make them show me lion before I will be enticed (the price is right though!!!)

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 23 June 2011 09:29 AM #27

    I voted for day 1 but a couple of things came out here in these posts that I hadn’t heard.  Among other Macs, I have a late 2006 MacBook Pro core 2 duo.  Will it run Lion?  I have Office 2008. Will it run on Lion?

    Anyone have a link to a list of “stuff” that isn’t compatible?

    Signature

    pbg

         
  • Posted: 23 June 2011 06:07 PM #28

    I don’t like Lion and I especially don’t like the app store. Apple is devaluing software. They can do this because they make their money from hardware sales, but its going to kill innovation in software development except for the consumer space. Look how much they dropped the price of Final Cut X. How are small software companies selling into niche markets supposed to make a buck when everyone expects apps to sell for $5? I thought Microsoft was evil, but at least they understand the need to make money from software sales.

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 23 June 2011 07:30 PM #29

    I’ll be buying a 13” MBA in the fall and will update my iMac then.

    The early 2006 MBP goes into retirement.

    Signature

    Cheers:
    Bob

         
  • Avatar

    Posted: 24 June 2011 02:55 PM #30

    graxspoo - 23 June 2011 09:07 PM

    How are small software companies selling into niche markets supposed to make a buck when everyone expects apps to sell for $5?

    I think you’re barking up the wrong tree here. Open Source projects and Piracy both have been driving down the prices of software long before the App Store, and online distribution of games, like Steam, have been happening for a long time.

    While professionals are still willing to (or at least able to) pay the huge fees for niche software, not every casual consumer is capable of paying more than $50 for software which doesn’t have a direct financial benefit to them in either savings or income.

    Signature

    -Jon Roth

    Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.