How do I get ahold of the forum Admin?

Posted: 21 June 2011 07:38 PM #16

Intruder - 21 June 2011 05:35 PM

Send a message to Adam Christianson. He is the web guy. I’ve brought it up but have had not much of a response.

I would like to respond to this if I may. I was contacted on 6/9 and I happened to be out of town on vacation. I was checking email, but was going to be back on the 13th, so I figured I could respond then. I replied in PM on the 13th to get some more details and clarification on where the issue was cropping up. I applied some fixes to the forum templates and I thought the issues were resolved. I had not heard of any other issues until today and I am currently looking into those.

For the record, 4 days is not a typical response time for me, but this was an unusual situation as I was out of town. I’m not sure I personally feel taking few days longer than normal to respond and then addressing the issue deserves being labeled “not much of a response”.

Posted: 21 June 2011 07:40 PM #17

$Billyall - 21 June 2011 09:54 PM

If some users have a very long username it can (or did in some cases) push the contents of their post and subsequent posters posts beyond the edge and underneath the advertisements on the right side. Making parts of the contents unreadable.

Thanks for the additional info. Do you happen to have a link to an example I can take a look at? I clicking around the forums and having a hard time locating one.

Posted: 21 June 2011 07:42 PM #18

Adam Christianson - 21 June 2011 10:40 PM

Thanks for the additional info. Do you happen to have a link to an example I can take a look at? I clicking around the forums and having a hard time locating one.

NM. I think I found one here:
    http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/forums/viewthread/80919/P150/

Thanks

Posted: 21 June 2011 09:44 PM #19

Nice to meet you, Adam.

To you and Dave -

Do you happen to have iPhone 4s to test against?  Because it really seems like lately, doing anything other than reading the forum on an iPhone 4 is torture.  IF you can get past all the loading that seems to go on in the background and IF there’s not a lot of text on the screen, then posting is kind of acceptable.  Otherwise, it’s like running the IE Speed Reading demo on anything that isn’t IE, which is to say unbelievably slow.  It wasn’t anywhere near this bad last year. 

Thanks in advance for seeing if there might be something weighing the forums down.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 21 June 2011 09:56 PM #20

Testing a post from my iPhone 4. Seems fine to me, and I’m not experiencing any slowness. I’m on a wifi connection, though. Is that making a difference for any of you?

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

Posted: 21 June 2011 11:18 PM #21

Not sure.  Fast Reply is anything but fast on 3G.  It could be loading related.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 22 June 2011 12:17 AM #22

Adam Christianson - 21 June 2011 10:38 PM
    Intruder - 21 June 2011 05:35 PM

Send a message to Adam Christianson. He is the web guy. I’ve brought it up but have had not much of a response.

I would like to respond to this if I may. I was contacted on 6/9 and I happened to be out of town on vacation. I was checking email, but was going to be back on the 13th, so I figured I could respond then. I replied in PM on the 13th to get some more details and clarification on where the issue was cropping up. I applied some fixes to the forum templates and I thought the issues were resolved. I had not heard of any other issues until today and I am currently looking into those.

For the record, 4 days is not a typical response time for me, but this was an unusual situation as I was out of town. I’m not sure I personally feel taking few days longer than normal to respond and then addressing the issue deserves being labeled “not much of a response”.

Adam:

Please don’t take comments personally. This is both a rowdy and exacting crowd and speaking for all of the members we appreciate your hard work.

In the past I’ve moved these topics to the admin forum that the members don’t access in an effort to get issues addressed quickly. One outcome of that is the members would not be aware of your responses and your good work behind the scenes might go unnoticed. This time I left the topic in the AFB to solicit as much input as possible.

Now that you’ve had your AFB “initiation” welcome to the best AAPL-related discussion group on the Internet.

One more request: Please post more often in the AFB about the good work you are doing in keeping the forum in working order. Your presence in the AFB would be appreciated and as the person dealing with the technical issues and challenges you’re already an integral part of this community and its continuing success.

We know the issues will be resolved quickly. I do access the AFB just about 24/7 from a variety of devices and operating systems. At times the boxes on the right do bleed into the content sections of the forum.  It happens most often when I access the AFB from a Wintel box.

Again, welcome to the AFB. It’s good to have you with us. Eventually we’ll kind of grow on you. It’s part of the AFB’s undeniable “charm.”  LOL

Dave and Adam:

Thanks again for keep the bleeping, blinking “You’ve won!” ads out of the environment.

Posted: 22 June 2011 12:24 AM #23

Adam,
    Tried to send a pm from my iPad but the system says the pm address is invalid. It will send to Bryan but not to you.

Just FYI.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 22 June 2011 06:15 AM #24

DawnTreader - 22 June 2011 03:17 AM

We know the issues will be resolved quickly. I do access the AFB just about 24/7 from a variety of devices and operating systems. At times the boxes on the right do bleed into the content sections of the forum.  It happens most often when I access the AFB from a Wintel box.

Hi Adam,

thanks for your work and responses.

But I also do have often the above problem when reading AFB on my iPhone (3GS) and sometimes on the iPad too. The boxes from the right do overlap the right part of the content and there is no way to make it visible (landscape mode does not help)! I think this problem started as soon as you switched to a fixed size.
    I do understand the wish to limit the width on a big screen, but could you not use only a maximum width instead of a fixed width?

Currently reading AFB on an iPhone is no fun - and this is certainly not good for an Apple oriented site!

Posted: 22 June 2011 11:10 AM #25

This is a screen shot the forum formatting in the latest version of Safari with the latest version of OSX without an ad blocker installed.

This is a screenshot of the text getting cut off.

Moreover, image sizes are truncated making it difficult to charts relevant to investing and trading.

And while we’re at it updating the smilies and allowing video embedding would be nice.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 22 June 2011 12:18 PM #26

Eric,
    Thanks for the screenshots. I’ve seen the issue a couple places and have been making changes whenever I run across it. It seems to be different for different environments and platforms. If you could provide links to the posts where you see it and mention which platform, browser, and version you’re using. I made some more adjustments yesterday, so let me know if you are still seeing issues (be sure to try clearing cache and cookies).

I’m currently looking into the performance issues on iOS.

Posted: 22 June 2011 02:45 PM #27

Thanks, Robert. I appreciate you taking the time to chime in! smile There was one thing I wanted to quickly address:

DawnTreader - 22 June 2011 03:17 AM

One more request: Please post more often in the AFB about the good work you are doing in keeping the forum in working order.

It’s actually better if these comments stay in the “Announcements & Suggestions” forum since they impact things system-wide. I’d hate to clutter up AFB with more discussions like this one, and other non-AFB users may miss them, too, including our great Mac Geek Gab Crew community.

Thanks!
    -Dave

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.