AAPL: The Coiled Spring

• Posted: 09 July 2011 02:16 PM #31

mstrmac - 09 July 2011 04:34 PM

The upcoming “Ice Cream Sandwich” release of Android will fix the long-standing problem of fragmentation on the platform, which has forced application builders to write their programs differently for the multiple versions of the OS in circulation.”

pcworld topic

What long-standing fragmentation problems? Android is perfect. Ice Cream Sandwich will only make it more perfect. Open always wins. There are no missing Apps. The Apps in the Apple App Store are not the Apps you were looking for. Move along, move along…and may the Force of “open” be with you.

• Posted: 09 July 2011 02:43 PM #32

Mercel - 09 July 2011 05:15 PM

Mr. Ballmer is visiting my Starbucks as I type and shot me a glare: Must have been the 8-to-2 news that’s eating him from the inside out.  Then again, my Apple logo on the back of my MBP was smiling at him, too.

Did you get on the table and start chanting: “Developers, developers, developers, developers!”? No?

Perhaps you would have gotten more than a nasty stare if you had started chanting: “App developers, App developers, App developers, App developers. Your very life may have been at risk.

• Posted: 09 July 2011 03:00 PM #33

FalKirk - 09 July 2011 05:43 PM

Mr. Ballmer is visiting my Starbucks as I type and shot me a glare: Must have been the 8-to-2 news that’s eating him from the inside out.  Then again, my Apple logo on the back of my MBP was smiling at him, too.

Did you get on the table and start chanting: “Developers, developers, developers, developers!”? No?

Perhaps you would have gotten more than a nasty stare if you had started chanting: “App developers, App developers, App developers, App developers. Your very life may have been at risk.

I’ll remember that the next time.  LOL  You shouldn’t be feeding me such ideas, as I might be tempted.

I missed the recent Rotary presentation in which Steve was asked his response to pleas that he resign.  His response was pure Ballmer:  “Do I LOOK like I’m not committed…”  or something along those lines. 

He always looks committed.  But to the dismay of MSFT shareholders, it’s usually to the wrong products and strategy.

• Posted: 09 July 2011 03:06 PM #34

It is not commitment he is lacking, just aptitude.

Amazing how Jobs makes so many people look incompetent.

• Posted: 09 July 2011 03:31 PM #35

No table dances needed. Just clap off rhythm.  LOL

All joking aside, I give the man credit for his passion and his commitment. But letting go of a monopolist’s mindset is the first step toward new success. Let’s not forget the man is a multi-billionaire and Microsoft remains a highly profitable company.

Posted: 09 July 2011 03:53 PM #36

adamthompson3232 - 09 July 2011 06:41 PM

I am pretty confident that I would have had the courage, audacity, and adolescent wit to make my way toward him and quickly mention that “SJ, iPad, and Apple are kicking your butt.”

I would have just pointed to the Apple logo and flipped him the bird. tongue laugh Of course that would have been when I was younger, now that I am 47+++++++++++, I would never do such a childish thing. :-D

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 09 July 2011 04:01 PM #37

adamthompson3232 - 09 July 2011 06:55 PM
    mbeauch - 09 July 2011 06:53 PM
    adamthompson3232 - 09 July 2011 06:41 PM

I am pretty confident that I would have had the courage, audacity, and adolescent wit to make my way toward him and quickly mention that “SJ, iPad, and Apple are kicking your butt.”

I would have just pointed to the Apple logo and flipped him the bird. tongue laugh Of course that would have been when I was younger, now that I am 47+++++++++++, I would never do such a childish thing. :-D

Back when I was 30 I would have done that. Now that I’m 31 I’d go with my aforementioned strategy:)

Makes sense to me. :-D You and I do tend to think along the same lines on a lot of things. Now, can someone get Charlie Sheens phone number for JD. LOL

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 09 July 2011 04:07 PM #38

FalKirk - 09 July 2011 05:16 PM
    mstrmac - 09 July 2011 04:34 PM

The upcoming “Ice Cream Sandwich” release of Android will fix the long-standing problem of fragmentation on the platform, which has forced application builders to write their programs differently for the multiple versions of the OS in circulation.”

pcworld topic

What long-standing fragmentation problems? Android is perfect. Ice Cream Sandwich will only make it more perfect. Open always wins. There are no missing Apps. The Apps in the Apple App Store are not the Apps you were looking for. Move along, move along…and may the Force of “open” be with you.

the mans got to know his limitations

Posted: 09 July 2011 04:13 PM #39

WRT Ballmer, I really don’t consider MS a threat anymore, so why bully the kid on the short bus? I mean, Ballmer couldn’t poor water out of a boot if the instructions were written on the sole.

I’d much rather taunt those we have yet to vanquish, like those nerds at Google.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 09 July 2011 04:13 PM #40

DawnTreader - 09 July 2011 06:31 PM

All joking aside, I give the man credit for his passion and his commitment. But letting go of a monopolist’s mindset is the first step toward new success. Let’s not forget the man is a multi-billionaire and Microsoft remains a highly profitable company.

I’m sure Ballmer is a bright and extremely competent man. However, he’s heading one of the most powerful companies in the world. It’s quite possible that the Peter Principle is at work here and he’s simply out of his depth.

Or it could be just a matter of bad timing. As Libranca, so eloquently put it:

libranca - 09 July 2011 06:06 PM

Amazing how Jobs makes so many people look incompetent.

Perhaps Ballmer’s just a very competent general living in the age of Napoleon. Only this Napoleon returned from exile and conquered the known world.

It ain’t fair for the competent to have to go up against the Napoleon of tech. It just ain’t fair.

Posted: 09 July 2011 04:17 PM #41

Can you imagine the look on Steve Jobs’ face the first time he saw that video?

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 09 July 2011 04:40 PM #42

Back on topic…is the spring uncoiling to take AAPL past 360 next week?  Or will AAPL kinda settle around the 350-360 range until earnings?

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 09 July 2011 05:32 PM #43

Mav - 09 July 2011 07:40 PM

Back on topic…is the spring uncoiling to take AAPL past 360 next week?  Or will AAPL kinda settle around the 350-360 range until earnings?

AAPL has to go up like an uncoiled spring sometime this year as stated earlier.
    At this moment I am thinking that next week it may stay below 360 or lower due to monthly OE.

I have had many losses since past Feb in Calls that went well below my expectations and for most on this board. Last three weeks AAPL has had a great run up. So I think some cooling off may happen. I plan to use that time to load up on Aug/Oct options.

• Posted: 09 July 2011 05:42 PM #44

We have a LONG way to go, as of Friday’s close (see updated chart below).  I think AAPL heads higher next week.

Posted: 09 July 2011 05:51 PM #45

Mav - 09 July 2011 07:40 PM

At $360, and if AAPL makes roughly ~$6.80 this past quarter, the stock will be at a P/E of 15 again… which we were at not 3 weeks ago.  Hopefully, it will at least stay above 16, which is roughly $390. 

I can see AAPL going into the 17-18 P/E area sometime between October and January, but not before.  At that point, P/E of 17 will be, assuming $29 TTM EPS, about $490.