Week 26: F.U.D. of the Week

• Posted: 27 June 2011 08:04 AM

NOMINATIONS are now open for F.U.D. (Fouled Up Dope) of week #26.

DEFINITION: F.U.D. of the Week is given to the most deserving reporter, pundit or analyst who shows us the way not to go, the path not to take, the road not to travel. These zeroes sacrifice their integrity, their honor, their objectivity and our sanity in a pathetic attempt to spread Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt across the interwebs and give us a worserer understanding of the world in which we live in. Extra credit is awarded to them what ought to know better.

RULES:
    1) Post a link to the nominee?s Fouled Up material, along with the date of the source material. Including Fouled Up Dopey quotes is optional but highly encouraged.
    2) Only Fouled Up Dopey material posted during the pertinent week will be considered.
    3) AFB members get three votes each which they may bestow upon one or more lucky nominees as they will.
    4) Griping, moaning, whining and general pettiness is both condoned and expected.
    5) Voting will close each Saturday and be tabulated and announced each Sunday?if we feel like it.

Posted: 27 June 2011 11:18 AM #1

I don’t have a link to post but I will go on record as being VERY worried about the brewing FCP X release fiasco. I think this issue is MUCH more serious than any of the previous BS issues (antenneagate, etc.).

This botched release is only made worse by the fact that Apple has terminated support/sales of FCS. This is beyond pale and beyond bonehead. IMO!  I think the repercussions of this botched release will have deep and long lasting implications for Apple. This may signal the beginning of the end as far as Apple being a cool company!  :-o

again .........  JMO
        JohnG

• Posted: 27 June 2011 11:57 AM #2

johnG - 27 June 2011 02:18 PM

I don’t have a link to post but I will go on record as being VERY worried about the brewing FCP X release fiasco.

First, I don’t wish to defend Apple’s actions in any way. I have no problem with their bringing out the product that they did, but they absolutely should have named it something else. I believe that the same quality that allows Apple to turn a deaf ear to their critics and produce great products also makes them deaf to legitimate criticisms. When I see things like this, I just sigh and think: “This is the price we pay for Apple being Apple.”

Second, having said that, I think this is a tempest in a teapot*. As someone put it, Apple has ticked off 5,000 Final Cut users and gained 5 million Final Cut X users. Read Pogues review and his follow up to the nuttiness of the reaction. (No citations because I’m lazy.)

This too shall pass like a warm breeze on a summer’s night. Or perhaps, it would be more accurate to say that it will hang in the air like some odiforous flatulent emission…

...that will eventually pass into the night.

Posted: 27 June 2011 12:29 PM #3

FalKirk - 27 June 2011 02:57 PM
    johnG - 27 June 2011 02:18 PM

I don’t have a link to post but I will go on record as being VERY worried about the brewing FCP X release fiasco.

First, I don’t wish to defend Apple’s actions in any way. I have no problem with their bringing out the product that they did, but they absolutely should have named it something else. I believe that the same quality that allows Apple to turn a deaf ear to their critics and produce great products also makes them deaf to legitimate criticisms. When I see things like this, I just sigh and think: “This is the price we pay for Apple being Apple.”

Second, having said that, I think this is a tempest in a teapot*. As someone put it, Apple has ticked off 5,000 Final Cut users and gained 5 million Final Cut X users. Read Pogues review and his follow up to the nuttiness of the reaction. (No citations because I’m lazy.)

This too shall pass like a warm breeze on a summer’s night. Or perhaps, it would be more accurate to say that it will hang in the air like some odiforous flatulent emission…

...that will eventually pass into the night.

Keep in mind Apple has cheesed-off a VERY influential group. There is a LOT more at stake here than 5K FCS users (I think the # is MUCH higher). These users are the movers/shakers in the film industry. Who do you think puts Apple front and square in product placements? The bad PR and lost product placement is worth billions!

JohnG

• Posted: 27 June 2011 12:30 PM #4

We’re off topic, but I don’t mind if you don’t mind.

In Defense of Final Cut Pro X

?When you open Final Cut Pro X, frankly very little of it operates the same way as Final Cut in terms of being able to jump in right away and start on a project. This is new software. That means things are different.?

Re-thinking things from the ground up. This is Apples gift - and their curse.

• Posted: 27 June 2011 04:07 PM #5

Adam Fischbaum at Street Authority in his article entitled “Forget Apple, Buy This Stock Instead” tries to sell us Nokia using the same kind of reasoning he might use to try to sell you a used car.  His conclusions are so far out in left field that I don’t even know where to begin.

I can’t supply a link because AFB has this site blacklisted.

• Posted: 27 June 2011 04:24 PM #6

Zeke - 27 June 2011 07:07 PM

Adam Fischbaum at Street Authority in his article entitled “Forget Apple, Buy This Stock Instead” tries to sell us Nokia using the same kind of reasoning he might use to try to sell you a used car.  His conclusions are so far out in left field that I don’t even know where to begin.

He’s saying that Nokia is a better buy than Apple? Really?

• Posted: 27 June 2011 04:32 PM #7

Agreed!  I read that same article and I laughed when it mentioned that Nokia should be selling at a P/E ratio of at least 15!  In that case, what should Apple be selling at?!

Posted: 27 June 2011 04:46 PM #8

The blacklisting on AFB is not site based, it seems to just look for certain words in the link address. Here “buy” has been the offending word. I just replaced the adjecant “-” by its escape sequence “%2D” - et voil?, the URL does works:
    Forget Apple, Buy This Stock Instead

Edited: I do support this vote!

[ Edited: 27 June 2011 05:03 PM by Elmar ]      

Posted: 27 June 2011 07:57 PM #9

Comment on analysts from another site, though you all might enjoy it.

A friend of mine wants to get a job as an ‘analyst’ here’s his resume:

I’m breathing and can walk.

smile

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 27 June 2011 11:28 PM #10

TanToday - 27 June 2011 10:57 PM

Comment on analysts from another site, though you all might enjoy it.

A friend of mine wants to get a job as an ‘analyst’ here’s his resume:

I’m breathing and can walk.

smile

You’re right. I enjoyed it immensely.

Posted: 28 June 2011 01:44 AM #11

My nomination is the ENTIRE July 4 2011 edition of Fortune magazine.

There is so much pro-Android clutter in this edition it made my blood curl. One article is entitled “100 million Android users can’t be wrong”. The opening editorial by managing editor Andy Serwer is titled “Android Calling” and gushes about how Android is winning the “Smartphone smack down.”

Then we get an article on Motorola Mobility and it’s brave uphill fight. The article lauds the company’s determination to return to power in the mobile world by adopting…...wait for it…....the Android operating system.

But wait, there’s more! The article says the Xoom was launched to ‘favorable reviews’, and when prompted the CEO of MM says that Apple is in danger of beginning to slide as the middle managers try to protect market share and fail to innovate.

I AM NOT KIDDING ABOUT ANY OF THIS.

In this edition of Fortune there is NO mention of profit. No mention of Apple’s path to success. There is mention of Flash and how Apple devices don’t run it…..everything the Android or Motorola Mobility crowd says is just taken as proven fact. Period!

Don’t buy this waste of paper. (how can PED work for the same outfit?). Just give me the award RIGHT NOW Falkirk, or I am gonna have a cerebral hemorrhage thinking about this..

aaaaarrrggghhh. :devil:  :-x

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 28 June 2011 10:41 AM #12

I particularly love this tidbit he mentioned in the article but failed to inform us how LITTLE $$ Nokia makes on these “dumb phones”.

Action To Take—> This is a huge company ($23 billion-plus market cap) that sells one third of all cell phones on the planet. They make money. Good things should happen.

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

• Posted: 28 June 2011 10:46 AM #13

Think Mr H Blodget hit a home run here…

Google Android Activations Hit Spectacular 500,000 A Day, Leaving Apple In Dust

Doesn’t provide a shred of evidence, save Android activation figures to support his argument.

Signature

Posted: 28 June 2011 11:34 AM #14

rattyuk - 28 June 2011 01:46 PM

Think Mr H Blodget hit a home run here…

Google Android Activations Hit Spectacular 500,000 A Day, Leaving Apple In Dust

Doesn’t provide a shred of evidence, save Android activation figures to support his argument.

First half of the article reads very differently from the second half. He could have written it in reverse order with a very different title.

• Posted: 28 June 2011 11:36 AM #15

K447 - 28 June 2011 02:34 PM

First half of the article reads very differently from the second half. He could have written it in reverse order with a very different title.

TBH Henry is doing what Henry does… Anything for the page hit.

Signature