A Respectful Conversation Regarding The iPhone Nano

Posted: 28 June 2011 08:02 PM #46

Just go with it Fal, its like peeing down wind, its just the right thing to do. tongue laugh

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 28 June 2011 08:11 PM #47

FalKirk - 28 June 2011 10:17 PM
    mbeauch - 28 June 2011 09:35 PM

BTW, shame on you Fal, just stirring the pot I guess.

I truly want to understand. Sadly, I still don’t. Like the iPhone, iPad, iCloud and a host of other items, I think that Apple has all the cards and they’re not giving any of us a peak.

I guess we’ll just have to wait until Apple shows their hand.

How different is it from apple having the iphone 3GS? If apple is selling the iphone 4 for $649 unlocked in the US, then its likely only getting $499 for each iphone 3GS sold through AT&T.

If apple was to replace the iphone 3GS with an iphone Air at the same $499 price point - what is so unbelieveable about that? and if there is nothing remarkable about that, then how unthinkable is it that apple lowers that price by another $100 so it can start to sell to the huge 3 billion user prepaid market around the world?

The difference would be the iPhone Air would be a brand new attractive device updated in its own right each year, instead of the current “year old phone sells at a discount” model apple currently uses.

Apple already has two differnt iphones being produced (3 if you count the cdma iphone 4 as well) - if the iPhone Air simply replaces one of the other lines - wheres the drama?

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

• Posted: 28 June 2011 08:29 PM #48

It’s not drama at all, it’s 10’s of millions of units at $200 off. Not drama, tragedy.

Posted: 28 June 2011 08:37 PM #49

Personally I will NEVER own an iPhone at current price/subscription points/paradigms. It’s only a phone. Millions of people might agree with me. So, you can’t cannibalize sales from a customer base that you don’t have! I would love a pay-as-you-go iPhone nano.

Signature

-I’m sorry, apparently my Karma has run over your Dogma -

Posted: 28 June 2011 08:44 PM #50

danthemason - 28 June 2011 11:29 PM

It’s not drama at all, it’s 10’s of millions of units at $200 off. Not drama, tragedy.

Your complaining about the possibility of 10s of millions of NEW unit sales at $399 - still with a 40-50% margin on the devices?

if thats a tradgedy, then i’m hoping for an apocalypse.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

Posted: 28 June 2011 09:00 PM #51

CudaBoy - 28 June 2011 11:37 PM

Personally I will NEVER own an iPhone at current price/subscription points/paradigms. It’s only a phone. Millions of people might agree with me. So, you can’t cannibalize sales from a customer base that you don’t have! I would love a pay-as-you-go iPhone nano.

Good for you. BTW, it is not “only a phone”. Since that is all you need then a state of the art phone is much more than you need. :bugeyed:

Signature

• Posted: 28 June 2011 09:23 PM #52

mbeauch - 28 June 2011 11:02 PM

Just go with it Fal, its like peeing down wind, its just the right thing to do. tongue laugh

Thank you for that homey, yet somewhat earthy, advice. I shall treasure it always.

• Posted: 28 June 2011 09:25 PM #53

iOSWeekly - 28 June 2011 11:11 PM

How different is it from apple having the iphone 3GS?

Worlds apart.

Posted: 28 June 2011 09:41 PM #54

FalKirk - 29 June 2011 12:25 AM
    iOSWeekly - 28 June 2011 11:11 PM

How different is it from apple having the iphone 3GS?

Worlds apart.

In what way from a production standpoint? genuine question. If it has the same production cost and similar margin amounts, what negatives are there?

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

Posted: 28 June 2011 09:55 PM #55

IOS, you actually make the point with the 3gs. AT&T sells it for $49. What else could you ask for? When the 5 comes out the 4 will take the budget phone slot.  :innocent:

Signature

Posted: 28 June 2011 10:04 PM #56

mbeauch - 29 June 2011 12:55 AM

IOS, you actually make the point with the 3gs. AT&T sells it for $49. What else could you ask for? When the 5 comes out the 4 will take the budget phone slot.  :innocent:

Just a reminder that the unsubsidized price is $449. That’s what the 3GS is selling for in India and, I assume, in other pre-paid markets.
    http://www.itpro.in/626167/apple-re-launches-iphone-3gs-in-india

I know the 3GS has been at $49 for some time, but didn’t it start at $99 subsidized? I would assume that’s where the iPhone 4 would drop to at first.

Posted: 28 June 2011 10:08 PM #57

It sells for $49 sudsidised tied to a 2 year $2000 contract on one network.

Selling a new phone for $399 - $499 unsubsidised that can work on any carrier is a different kettle of fish.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

Posted: 28 June 2011 10:16 PM #58

Drew Bear - 29 June 2011 01:04 AM

Just a reminder that the unsubsidized price is $449. That’s what the 3GS is selling for in India and, I assume, in other pre-paid markets.
    http://www.itpro.in/626167/apple-re-launches-iphone-3gs-in-india

I know the 3GS has been at $49 for some time, but didn’t it start at $99 subsidized? I would assume that’s where the iPhone 4 would drop to at first.

Thats HUGE news Drew! (just announced yesterday? missed that one)

So apple is now selling an unlocked iphone for $449!!! isn’t this exactly what this whole thread has been about?!?

I’m ecstatic!!!

To give you an idea of what this means - apple currently sells the iphone 3GS unlocked down under for around $700 USD (yes thats right, more than iphone 4 sells for unlocked in the US)

My take is that apople should do this globally with a new iPhone Air at the same price - but if the iphone 4 was to take the place of the $449 3GS at the same pricepoint - I would be happy enough with that.

This BIG news really deserves it own new thread.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

Posted: 28 June 2011 11:32 PM #59

IOS, isn’t that price down under related to taxes?

Another thing to talk about is the fact that the contract total cost is not against zero. There is a pay-as-you-go cost. Plus data charges. People don’t change networks that often. I will be changing to VZ when my contract expires because Tammy gets a discount through her work.

Signature

Posted: 29 June 2011 12:45 AM #60

mbeauch - 29 June 2011 02:32 AM

IOS, isn’t that price down under related to taxes?

Another thing to talk about is the fact that the contract total cost is not against zero. There is a pay-as-you-go cost. Plus data charges. People don’t change networks that often. I will be changing to VZ when my contract expires because Tammy gets a discount through her work.

Our sales tax is 15%, that is true.

Also true that the contract total cost is not vs zero cost for prepaid service. But the costs outside US are a lot less, even in developed countries you can get data only prepaid blocks of 250mb an upwards for less than $10 USD a month. Plus paying for incoming calls is purely a US phenomenon that encourages the bulk of users to sign up for expensive voice plans also.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple