HP TouchPad reviews

• Posted: 02 July 2011 01:50 AM #31

So here’s the new line coming out of HP:

It’s Kind Of Funny How Fast HP Is Backing Away From The TouchPad As An iPad Beater

Matt Rosoff

Developer relations head Richard Kerris told The Loop yesterday that the TouchPad is really an enterprise play: ?We think there?s a better opportunity for us to go after the enterprise space and those consumers that use PCs….It would be ignorant for us to say that we are going to take it away from Apple.?

Dear Mr. Kerris. Here’s the thing. There is no enterprise space for tablets. There are no consumers craving some sort of PC tablet. There is no tablet market at all. There’s only an iPad market.

Posted: 02 July 2011 01:57 AM #32

I can’t find the link, but someone pointed out that one very basic component of a tablet that is rarely reviewed is the touchscreen. Touch an element on the iPad and it moves as if it were a physical object. The responsiveness is real-time. That is not always true of Android tablets or the TouchPad. Laggy, unresponsive, unreliable, unpredictable…for a “feature” that you use every single time you touch the device.

Likewise with the lack of apps on non-iOS platforms. The reviewers acknowledge the iPad’s app superiority in a glancing way, but this fundamental lack needs to be given much more attention. It’s like saying a 5 blade imitation Swiss army knife doesn’t have the same capability as a thousand piece professional mechanic’s tool set. Who in their right mind would pay the same price for those two options?

I guess it seems boring for the reviewers to emphasize such obvious (to them) differences between the iPad and the herd. But I suspect many readers have not used an iPad and do not understand the significance of such “basic” differences.

Posted: 02 July 2011 02:16 AM #33

?We think there?s a better opportunity for us to go after the enterprise space and those consumers that use PCs…

That sounds like they’re only excluding consumers who use Macs. Besides, if they’re focusing on the enterprise market, why sell the TouchPad at Walmart, Amazon & Best Buy? Or even Staples & Office Depot? Is that where Fortune 500 companies go shopping to buy enterprise solutions? Doesn’t HP have a dedicated sales force for enterprise customers?

They’re backpedaling because they know they have not delivered a product that is “perfect”, as promised by their CEO. It will be interesting to see what sales/shipping guidance numbers they reveal during their next earnings call. I’m sure analysts will ask the question.

• Posted: 02 July 2011 02:38 AM #34

Drew Bear - 02 July 2011 04:57 AM

...one very basic component of a tablet that is rarely reviewed is the touchscreen. Touch an element on the iPad and it moves as if it were a physical object. The responsiveness is real-time. That is not always true of Android tablets or the TouchPad.

Toplosky was talking about this in the ThisIsMyNext Podcast. He said that he returned his original iPhone because he was a big Treo fan (remember the Treo?). He eventually returned and he said one of the things that sold him was the alarm clock function. He talked about how the numbers moved with your finger and gave you the psychological, subconscious belief that you actually WERE touching and manipulating something real and solid with the touch of your finger.

It’s been 4 years since the iPhone’s debut and competitors still have caught up to Apple’s touchscreen technology.

• Posted: 02 July 2011 08:52 AM #35

So I’m (still) listening to ThisIsMyNext Podcast and they’re talking about HP licensing their OS and I’m going absolutely nuts. Aside from the inherent conflict in licensing an OS that you are using in your own competing devices, WHAT HAPPENED TO HARDWARE/SOFTWARE INTEGRATION? Wasn’t that the whole point of this deal?

No matter how talented their staff, no matter how great their engineering, no matter how good their hardware is, the TouchPad is doomed because HP does not get it,HP does not get it, HP does not get it, HP does not get it, HP does not get it, HP does not get it, HP does not get it.

They just don’t get it.

Posted: 02 July 2011 01:40 PM #36

FalKirk - 02 July 2011 05:38 AM
    Drew Bear - 02 July 2011 04:57 AM

...one very basic component of a tablet that is rarely reviewed is the touchscreen. Touch an element on the iPad and it moves as if it were a physical object. The responsiveness is real-time. That is not always true of Android tablets or the TouchPad.

Toplosky was talking about this in the ThisIsMyNext Podcast. He said that he returned his original iPhone because he was a big Treo fan (remember the Treo?). He eventually returned and he said one of the things that sold him was the alarm clock function. He talked about how the numbers moved with your finger and gave you the psychological, subconscious belief that you actually WERE touching and manipulating something real and solid with the touch of your finger.

I just listened to the first 30 min. of this podcast while walking my dog. Good grief! There’s no way anyone (aside from ABA {anything but Apple} nuts) listening to this would buy the TouchPad. Toplosky actually does spend significant time talking about this touch responsiveness and how nothing else, including Honeycomb & Android tablets, comes close to Apple’s feel. He said Apple has some sort of secret sauce that makes this UI “feel” so much better.

I think many of these reviewers cut HP a lot of slack because Rubenstein actually spent time talking to them individually. Toplosky said he Skype’d with Rubenstein for an hour. Rubenstein actually acknowledges that the TouchPad is still buggy as hell. BUT, software updates in about a month will fix it. Whaaaat?!!

One other thing Topolsky said: as bad as the TouchPad is, he says he likes it better than any of the Honeycomb tablets…and he’s tried them all. Wow!

You said this earlier, FalKirk. If he’s giving something like this a 7.5, then he must be working on a scale of 15 where the iPad 2 scores a 14. Clearly he’s using the traditional 0-10 scale, in which case this thing as released should score 4-5 and previous Android tablets even lower.

• Posted: 02 July 2011 02:03 PM #37

FalKirk - 02 July 2011 11:52 AM

So I’m (still) listening to ThisIsMyNext Podcast and they’re talking about HP licensing their OS and I’m going absolutely nuts. Aside from the inherent conflict in licensing an OS that you are using in your own competing devices, WHAT HAPPENED TO HARDWARE/SOFTWARE INTEGRATION? Wasn’t that the whole point of this deal?

No matter how talented their staff, no matter how great their engineering, no matter how good their hardware is, the TouchPad is doomed because HP does not get it,HP does not get it, HP does not get it, HP does not get it, HP does not get it, HP does not get it, HP does not get it.

They just don’t get it.

HP is trapped by its history and bureaucracy.  It’s not likely to change.  HP’s willingness to explore licensing WebOS is part admission they are very late to the game and they need market share. Too, HP probably knows it can’t compete with Apple on the hardware side of things. 

LIcensing WebOS is not without land mines, as you’ve pointed out.  But with MS starting to show signs of mobile life with Mango, HP sees a window of opportunity that’s closing:  It’s a race for a distant second.  If there’s only room for 3 or 4 players (with vertical solutions) to make economic sense of the tablet market, perhaps HP’s trial balloon makes some sense here.

• Posted: 02 July 2011 03:55 PM #38

Drew Bear - 02 July 2011 04:40 PM

Rubenstein actually acknowledges that the TouchPad is still buggy as hell. BUT, software updates in about a month will fix it. Whaaaat?!!

They’re going to fix the know problems AFTER it’s on the market. Unbelievable. It’s like a restaurant serving your food raw but promising to cook it later.

Drew Bear - 02 July 2011 04:40 PM

One other thing Topolsky said: as bad as the TouchPad is, he says he likes it better than any of the Honeycomb tablets…and he’s tried them all. Wow!

Good point. The iPad’s competition is a dung heap right now. Android has buggy software, the PlayBook just makes no sense, the TouchPad doesn’t have its act together and I’m predicting that Amazon will come out with a Nook, not an iPad, competitor and that Microsoft’s entry into the tablet market will be so out of touch with reality that its implosion will finally bring Ballmer’s reign at Microsoft an end.

I used to wonder if Apple’s iPad market share was going to be like that of the iPhone or the iPod. Now I’m wondering if it’s going to be like that of Windows.

• Posted: 02 July 2011 03:59 PM #39

FalKirk - 02 July 2011 06:55 PM

I used to wonder if Apple’s iPad market share was going to be like that of the iPhone or the iPod. Now I’m wondering if it’s going to be like that of Windows.

Great point.  Realistically, it is probably closer to that of the iPod.  And that alone will do wonders to EPS.

Posted: 02 July 2011 10:16 PM #40

Mercel - 02 July 2011 06:59 PM
    FalKirk - 02 July 2011 06:55 PM

Great point.  Realistically, it is probably closer to that of the iPod.

It depends on what is being counted as a tablet. If the Nook is considered a tablet, then iPad will soon be in the iPod range. If the criteria is a bit more stringent, then it has another year or two in the Windows range. However, I don’t think iPad will be able to hold 90% market share for long.

Either way it’s fantastic for AAPL!

• Posted: 03 July 2011 02:01 AM #41

Paul Goodwin - 01 July 2011 03:52 AM

Sounds like the Packards of the 50s. Too little, too late. Once great machines were left in the dust. Things like this generally happen because of a lack of great leadership. Great engineers don’t create stuff without someone giving them the lead time and money. When the accountants take over a company, leaders begin to squeeze at the expense of product and technology development. And when a technology leader takes over that doesn’t really have the vision of what he wants to accomplish, the engineers flounder. Nearly everybody does what they think their boss wants to see, and can’t afford to make waves and stand up against directions that aren’t sound.
    [...]

Excellent analogy, good post, and welcome to AFB.

• Posted: 03 July 2011 02:09 AM #42

FalKirk - 02 July 2011 04:50 AM

So here’s the new line coming out of HP:

It’s Kind Of Funny How Fast HP Is Backing Away From The TouchPad As An iPad Beater

Matt Rosoff

Developer relations head Richard Kerris told The Loop yesterday that the TouchPad is really an enterprise play: ?We think there?s a better opportunity for us to go after the enterprise space and those consumers that use PCs….It would be ignorant for us to say that we are going to take it away from Apple.?

Dear Mr. Kerris. Here’s the thing. There is no enterprise space for tablets. There are no consumers craving some sort of PC tablet. There is no tablet market at all. There’s only an iPad market.

Richard Kerris needs to look up the definition of ignorant.  “I don’t think it means what [he] thinks it means.”

• Posted: 03 July 2011 02:15 AM #43

Mercel - 02 July 2011 05:03 PM

HP is trapped by its history and bureaucracy.  It’s not likely to change.  HP’s willingness to explore licensing WebOS is part admission they are very late to the game and they need market share. Too, HP probably knows it can’t compete with Apple on the hardware side of things. 

LIcensing WebOS is not without land mines, as you’ve pointed out.  But with MS starting to show signs of mobile life with Mango, HP sees a window of opportunity that’s closing:  It’s a race for a distant second.  If there’s only room for 3 or 4 players (with vertical solutions) to make economic sense of the tablet market, perhaps HP’s trial balloon makes some sense here.

I’d like to buy HPQ in the mid-thirties, but I cannot.

This is a test of Leo.  If heads don’t roll among his top level marketing people, he fails.  I am willing to cut him some slack, but good heavens.  This is not what Hurd had in mind when he bought Palm.  This product should not have been released this year.  Period.

• Posted: 03 July 2011 01:57 PM #44

capablanca - 03 July 2011 05:15 AM
    Mercel - 02 July 2011 05:03 PM

I’d like to buy HPQ in the mid-thirties, but I cannot.

This is a test of Leo.  If heads don’t roll among his top level marketing people, he fails.  I am willing to cut him some slack, but good heavens.  This is not what Hurd had in mind when he bought Palm.  This product should not have been released this year.  Period.

There were low expectations of Leo fixing HP at the time of his hire.  It appears those fears were well founded. 

This ship is the Titanic attempting to outmaneuver a hydroplane (Apple).

Posted: 03 July 2011 02:13 PM #45

capablanca - 03 July 2011 05:09 AM

Richard Kerris needs to look up the definition of ignorant.  “I don’t think it means what [he] thinks it means.”

+1 for Princess Bride reference smile

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix