HP TouchPad reviews

Posted: 03 July 2011 02:24 PM #46

incorrigible - 03 July 2011 05:13 PM
    capablanca - 03 July 2011 05:09 AM

Richard Kerris needs to look up the definition of ignorant.  “I don’t think it means what [he] thinks it means.”

+1 for Princess Bride reference smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIP6EwqMEoE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

+2.

The great Wallace Shawn.

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 03 July 2011 03:00 PM #47

HP using Russel Brand to sel the touchpad

http://9to5mac.com/2011/07/03/russel-brand-slangs-hp-touchpads/

Doesn’t work for me

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 03 July 2011 03:13 PM #48

Red shirted ensign - 03 July 2011 06:00 PM

HP using Russel Brand to sel the touchpad

http://9to5mac.com/2011/07/03/russel-brand-slangs-hp-touchpads/

Very funny. Very well done. A pity that the commercials are of higher quality than the product.

Posted: 03 July 2011 09:49 PM #49

Red shirted ensign - 03 July 2011 06:00 PM

HP using Russel Brand to sel the touchpad…Doesn’t work for me

Ditto…especially since I have no idea who the Brit with bad teeth is. He never mentions the name, TouchPad. It flashes for 2 sec. at the end as part of a URL. HP is assuming the average consumer knows what that device is. Bad assumption.

Even Apple, who can get away with not mentioning the name, flashes “iPad 2” in big bold letters at the end.

HP takes 30 sec. to highlight a single feature that many people will scratch their heads about. Each commercial focuses more on the Brit than on the product.

Apple uses 30 sec. to highlight 7 features that everyone understands. Complete focus on the iPad and what it can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFFkK2SmPg4

• Posted: 04 July 2011 01:00 PM #50

Good interview with HP’s Leo Apotheker.  He sounds like he took Eric Schmidt’s seat on Apple’s Board of Directors.  Either that or he is actually being tutored by Jon Rubenstein.

He is saying the right words, but it remains to be seen if HP can sing them.

http://allthingsd.com/20110701/hps-leo-apotheker-talks-webos-touchpad-and-more-the-full-d9-interview-video/

• Posted: 04 July 2011 01:15 PM #51

In the HP interview. Leo is adamant about one thing:  HP will not release a product unless it is “perfect.”  This interview was posted on July 1, 2011.  He must have embargoed reviews of the Touchpad.  Sadly, no follow up by Walt “I just want Love” Mossberg.

Posted: 04 July 2011 02:02 PM #52

allthingsD is posting the complete D9 videos now, but the interviews took place over a month ago.

Posted: 04 July 2011 04:39 PM #53

Mercel - 04 July 2011 04:15 PM

In the HP interview. Leo is adamant about one thing:  HP will not release a product unless it is “perfect.”  This interview was posted on July 1, 2011.  He must have embargoed reviews of the Touchpad.  Sadly, no follow up by Walt “I just want Love” Mossberg.

Saying and doing, two different things.

The TouchPad is an obvious sign that HP cannot walk the walk.  Even one more month of testing and bug-fixing could’ve have done so much more for its fortunes.  Instead you’re sending out HP employees to Best Buys who will almost certainly give off a desperate vibe and try to cover up for the TouchPad’s shortcomings, at least until that OTA update comes around…whenever that is.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 04 July 2011 04:58 PM #54

Multitasking ad:

First, iOS 5’s “cards” will be full-size (I can’t wait to see how the public reacts to multi-touch chord instant app switching).  Second, all he did was browse…big deal.  Third, the “swipe” to close offers ZERO user feedback, at least in the commercial.  You have to “flick” before anything happens.  Seriously, an intermediate “leap of faith” UI modality, in this day and age?  Please tell me this simulated screen wasn’t for real.

Just Type ad:

Quick actions sound great in theory…so why the heck aren’t they demoed?  Unless the whole notepad app spiel on sticker albums was the demo.

Full Web ad: 

You…didn’t…even…show…the screen!  WHAT!?!

Synergy ad:

Again!  No actual demo!  Just…mock nibbling (“do not eat TouchPad”)  Russell Brandware!  Can’t you at least show the damn contact/status update on the damn screen?!

Smart notifications ad:

Well, at least we see how it’s done.  One point for HP, finally, for having something iOS doesn’t - a gesture action for ignoring stuff.

Entertainment everywhere ad:

Wow, that was weak.  In HP’s defense, it probably has to do with a content deficit.

Touch to Share ad:

Point for HP!  ...as long as Russell Brand’s viciously long monologue and “virus” comments don’t distort the message.  Also, wow fingerprints.

Touchstone ad:

This is what happens when you get a celebrity endorser who won’t demo the feature.  Oh…oh no.

The scorecard:  Do you really need to ask?

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 05 July 2011 07:41 AM #55

One more bad review: HP TouchPad Is No Match for Apple’s iPad 2

Bottom-Line

The HP TouchPad simply cannot compete with Apple?s iPad 2. The rule of thumb is don’t compete with an established product like the iPad, unless your device is significantly better. The HP TouchPad is in no respect a better device.

Posted: 15 July 2011 03:02 AM #56

Not a review…but there is a solicitation to have re-reviews!

Let me be blunt - what the HELL is going on at Team webOS.

Josh Topolsky interviews present and former webOS chiefs Stephen DeWitt and Jon Rubenstein:
    http://thisismynext.com/2011/07/14/dewitt-rubinstein-interview-exclusive/

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 15 July 2011 03:34 AM #57

Let me be clear (to anyone who may be reading this topic for the first time):  I want competition to do well, to actually compete.  When everyone is on their A game in business, everyone else keeps improving at a rapid clip and the consumers all win.  So maybe part of me is happy for Apple because HP hasn’t gotten the memo despite being so late to the party, but a part of me is also very frustrated by this display of ineptitude and I-just-don’t-get-it-ness in the webOS unit.

I had a lot of respect for HP back in the day.  I don’t know what’s going on over there now.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 15 July 2011 03:41 PM #58

I couldn’t finish the Topolsky interview yesterday. Gruber had warned it was chock full of BS in the beginning. It got a bit tense there when Topolsky kept on asking about the bump in CPU specs for the 4G version. I get the feeling he won’t be enjoying the same access in future.

Rubenstein said something interesting about the difference between WebOS for phones and tablets.

I wouldn?t say it?s an older OS. It?s certainly a different OS. We didn?t want to do a tablet where we just took the phone OS and scaled it up. We talked about this before. We went back to the drawing board and said ?how do we take webOS and deliver that elegant experience but optimize for the larger form factor,? and because of that we had to split the effort. You can assume that sometime in the future will converge again, but not anytime soon. So you?re right, the Pre 3 has a different version of the OS. It runs phone optimized applications, it?s not going to run the tablet apps.

When pressed about the “convergence” timeline, Rubenstein hedged even more.

I chose my words very carefully. Sometime in the future we will re-converge these, but right now that?s not the plan.

Seems to me HP is even more flustered than Microsoft. The overarching strategy is to incorporate WebOS into the huge HP commercial/enterprise infrastructure, but there are no details on how that will be done. What they have started with the Veer and TouchPad provide no clues.

The two HP execs are very good at BSing the grand strategy picture, but really got defensive when questioned about specific product execution. This is common with execs from Microsoft, RIM and Google.

Posted: 15 July 2011 04:41 PM #59

How hard is it to delay the TouchPad until the OTA update that will magically fix everything…uh…can actually just get preloaded to the TouchPad in the first place.

It’s maddening stupidity.  Is HP that desperate?  Do they think every second counts when really, the clock started ticking down in January 2010?  You don’t have to be a genius rockstar CEO to know that you polish the product even if it takes an extra few weeks.  But it is interesting how that OTA update may need a lot more time to get here, huh.

This is no way to compete.  I swear, if any part of the Xoom/TouchPad/etc. launches are attributable to straight-up fear from that aura/halo radiating from Apple, that’s one heck of a powerful advantage Apple enjoys.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 15 July 2011 06:05 PM #60

Drew Bear - 15 July 2011 06:41 PM

I couldn’t finish the Topolsky interview yesterday. Gruber had warned it was chock full of BS in the beginning.

I too had difficulty reading this interview. As an attorney, I usually take pride in my ability to plow through dense material. I struggled here and finally gave up. My impressions were three-fold:

1) They didn’t have a clear message.

2) They were hiding stuff. That’s why the interview felt so dense and heavy. Rather than using words to explain, they were using words to explain away Rubensein’s recent demotion. They were using words to hide rather than reveal the truth.

3) They were woefully unprepared to answer some of Topolsky’s more pointed questions. The interview felt awkward because they were intentionally not answering his question. But even worse, the interview felt awkward because one was left with the impression that they simply had no answers to give.