100,000 iPad apps and counting…

• Posted: 30 June 2011 08:36 AM

Those with an iPad should check out the app store and see the number of iPad apps just crossed 100k (100,157 to be exact).

If the wires pick this up, it should be a good opportunity to compare the milestone to the pathetic number of tablet apps at Apple’s competitors.

• Posted: 30 June 2011 10:13 AM #1

mcharliem - 30 June 2011 11:36 AM

Those with an iPad should check out the app store and see the number of iPad apps just crossed 100k (100,157 to be exact).

If the wires pick this up, it should be a good opportunity to compare the milestone to the pathetic number of tablet apps at Apple’s competitors.

It’s not about the number of apps, or so the people who own competing products keep telling me. raspberry

Signature

Posted: 30 June 2011 02:24 PM #2

Heck, I just used appmakr.com to build an iPhone app in about an hour. Most of that time was spent trying to get my developer account linked to their automated scripts. The experience has reenergized my drive to dive deeper back into coding. The tide has shifted, and the current is picking up. Huge momentum in the mobile space, and iOS is in the center of the stream. Exciting times.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

Posted: 30 June 2011 03:02 PM #3

Just as important is the quality of iPad apps. There are truly some innovative & creative things being done that greatly expand what can be done with a personal computing device.

Posted: 30 June 2011 03:08 PM #4

mcharliem - 30 June 2011 11:36 AM

We’ll see if PED gets picked up by the wires.

Apple iPad apps: 100,000+. Android tablet apps: 1,300+

Sometime this week, the number of apps written or adapted for Apple’s iPad hit the 100,000 mark.

And how are the iPad’s competitors doing? That’s even harder to say. A search of Google’s (GOOG) Android Market Thursday turned up about 1,200 free Android tablet apps and 145 paid, or roughly 1/75th as many as the iPad.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/06/30/apple-ipad-apps-100000-android-tablet-apps-1300/?source=yahoo_quote

Posted: 30 June 2011 03:12 PM #5

But just you wait!  Soon, Android will have 13,500 tablet apps!  1,000% growth!  And another Distimo report!  Try to beat that, Apple!

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 30 June 2011 08:56 PM #6

Mav - 30 June 2011 06:12 PM

But just you wait!  Soon, Android will have 13,500 tablet apps!  1,000% growth!  And another Distimo report!  Try to beat that, Apple!

The fact that there is no clear “second choice” for developers is going to make Apple’s lead all the more insurmountable.  At this point, I don’t think Honeycomb is any better or worse a choice than WebOS or Playbook if a developer wanted to port an iPad app to a second OS.  As a result, I think they’re liable to say “screw it” and not even bother.  I think we’re seeing evidence of that already.