Google+ Discussion

• Posted: 10 July 2011 07:06 PM

Do you have access to Google+? What do you think of it? Do you use other social networks such as Facebook or Twtiter? If so, how do you feel they stack up? Do you envision using Google+ personally, and do you think it has staying power?

[ Edited: 10 July 2011 07:10 PM by David Nelson ]      

Posted: 11 July 2011 11:21 AM #1

So far I’m finding Google + to be easy to use, and Facebook-like, but with a cleaner interface. I’m a Twitter and Facebook user, too, and I set up my accounts so my tweets post on FB. My biggest issue with Google + right now is that I have to monitor it independently of Facebook and Twitter which means I have to spend even more time watching my social networks.

I think Google + will stick around, but I don’t see it replacing Facebook because so many people have already invested their time in Zuck’s little world. I also think this is an either/or scenario. You aren’t going to find many people that want to participate in Facebook and Google + at the same time.

• Posted: 11 July 2011 11:31 AM #2

I’m not even going to bother. One time vacuum is enough please.

Posted: 11 July 2011 11:36 AM #3

I agree with Jeff on all accounts.  It’s clean, but it’s also new. I think over time it will get just as messy as facebook is currently with all the questions and silly games - which is why I enjoy G+ right now.

I need the right friends to move over, otherwise its not worth it.

Signature

Tron is cool

Posted: 11 July 2011 12:01 PM #4

How do the account and security settings compare? Are they just as confusing and clunky as Facebook’s?

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 11 July 2011 12:28 PM #5

Sir Harry Flashman - 11 July 2011 03:01 PM

How do the account and security settings compare? Are they just as confusing and clunky as Facebook’s?

There is something to be said for this cartoon, particularly as FB is now one of the 10 most hated companies in the US. I am surprised that it took this long to be noted.

I use both Twitter and FB, but use the latter primarily to keep track of my kids, and secondarily with friends/other family with whom I usually skype or email on a regular basis. FB has always struck me as gimmicky social watering hole riddled with booby traps - not unlike a brothel posing as a coffee house, where the coffee house offers only nutrient poor junk food. Twitter, on the other hand, has proved far more professionally useful and personally entertaining.

That said, I have not tried Google+ primarily because it has been marketed (deliberately or not) as a FB alternative; to which I respond, ‘Thank you, no’. If my kids were to migrate to it, then I probably would, but currently have zero interest in doing so.

Signature

wab95

• Posted: 11 July 2011 02:10 PM #6

Personally I like Google+ insofar as it offers similar functionality to Facebook with a cleaner UI.

I am really looking forward to the iOS apps because those will probably have the greatest impact on how I use it. I don’t spend a lot of time doing social networking from my computer but I am frequently checking it and replying to comments (thanks to push notifications) from my iPhone.