New ads concentrating on FaceTime and AirPlay

• Posted: 11 July 2011 10:49 AM

Apple put some more ads up over the weekend, this time concentrating on FaceTime and AirPlay…

http://www.apple.com/iphone/gallery/ads.html

FaceTime was going to be open, but it looks like Apple have decided to make it a Unique Selling Point.

Signature

• Posted: 11 July 2011 11:14 AM #1

I like the new close.  “Just one more thing that makes an iPhone an iPhone”.  The previous version was “If you don’t have an iPhone, well…,you don’t have an iPhone.”  It seemed a bit too condescending to me.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 11 July 2011 02:17 PM #2

BillH - 11 July 2011 02:14 PM

I like the new close.  “Just one more thing that makes an iPhone an iPhone”.  The previous version was “If you don’t have an iPhone, well…,you don’t have an iPhone.”  It seemed a bit too condescending to me.

One media critic agrees with you.

“I cringe,” writes Friedman, “when I hear those TV commercials proclaiming that ‘If you don’t have an iPhone, you don’t have an iPhone,’ whatever that means. To me, it represents an elitist view of its customers in the marketplace.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/07/11/dow-jones-media-columnist-tells-apple-to-fix-its-iphone-ads/?source=yahoo_quote

Really, though…why not save the advertising advice for the other companies who are not selling 5-8 million phones per month?

• Posted: 11 July 2011 02:41 PM #3

Drew Bear - 11 July 2011 05:17 PM
    BillH - 11 July 2011 02:14 PM

One media critic agrees with you.

“I cringe,” writes Friedman, “when I hear those TV commercials proclaiming that ‘If you don’t have an iPhone, you don’t have an iPhone,’ whatever that means. To me, it represents an elitist view of its customers in the marketplace.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/07/11/dow-jones-media-columnist-tells-apple-to-fix-its-iphone-ads/?source=yahoo_quote

Really, though…why not save the advertising advice for the other companies who are not selling 5-8 million phones per month?

Similar to other products over the years that have set the standard for a new industry (Frigidaire refrigerators, Apple iPod digital music players, Xerox copy machines, etc.) it’s important to continue to differentiate the product by brand and model otherwise the model becomes a default term for all products in a particular market.

• Posted: 11 July 2011 02:43 PM #4

With the release of the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 4 moving to the entry-level product position (presumably), all iPhones offered for sale will be FaceTime enabled.

• Posted: 13 July 2011 08:28 PM #5

FaceTime has been a disappointment to me. I envisioned big things. But three problems have arisen:

1) FaceTime did not become open source as promised.

2) FaceTime is still tied to WiFi

3) There are now at least three different ways to communicate on using three different types of Apple protocals: FaceTime, iChat and the new iMessages. This is very un-Apple like.

Despite all of that, the following added feature to iOS 5 is pretty cool:

?iOS 5 beta 3 seems to have enabled another feature ? AirPlay mirroring for FaceTime,? Rene Ritchie reports for TiPb.

?The ability to easily start a video call and beam it onto the big screen is compelling,? Ritchie reports. ?Whether it?s grandpa and grandma, or the team in England, it takes FaceTime from a small, personal experience to a big, group experience at the touch of a button.?