Low Cost iPhone

Posted: 22 May 2012 02:15 PM #31

That link goes to an unreleased hardware case for the iPhone 4 & 4S. Where did you find that it would be available for the iPod touch?

When used as a contract free phone device using data only in conjunction with a VoIP/SIP app, both the iPhone and the iPod would be utilized the same.  I am presuming that the physical shape and size of an iPod would fit into the case, and align with case’s dock.  But I forget….does the iPod have its dock connector on the bottom like an iPhone?

• Posted: 22 May 2012 02:31 PM #32

Mav - 22 May 2012 05:34 AM

I get it, Drew. 

But how will Apple tackle the dual problem of lower-end iPhones and innovating like crazy on software?  Apple wants a full-stop no-compromises best iOS it can do each year.  Obviously it must run on the year-old
    iPhone and OK enough on the two-year-old iPhone, but segmentation or lowest common denominator is not Apple’s game.

Apple will deal with it the same way they deal with OS upgrades on older Macs.  At some point they will not support the older OS.

If the newer OS has capabilities that you can’t live without, you buy a newer handset.  That’s the price of latest greatest.  I seriously doubt the bottom tier buyer that we are discussing, are motivated by OS upgrades.  They don’t get that now with Android’s latest greatest handsets.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 22 May 2012 02:37 PM #33

zulu - 22 May 2012 05:15 PM

I am presuming that the physical shape and size of an iPod would fit into the case, and align with case’s dock.  But I forget….does the iPod have its dock connector on the bottom like an iPhone?

The iPod dock connector is also on the bottom, but the iPhone is significantly thicker than the iPod touch. The website specifies the iPhone 4 and 4S. Even the iPhone 3GS is not listed.

Posted: 22 May 2012 03:04 PM #34

Drew Bear - 22 May 2012 05:37 PM
    zulu - 22 May 2012 05:15 PM

I am presuming that the physical shape and size of an iPod would fit into the case, and align with case’s dock.  But I forget….does the iPod have its dock connector on the bottom like an iPhone?

The iPod dock connector is also on the bottom, but the iPhone is significantly thicker than the iPod touch. The website specifies the iPhone 4 and 4S. Even the iPhone 3GS is not listed.

A small piece of foam should take up the slack room and keep the iPod from rattling around in the case.  I have reserved my Freedom Pop case and will be experimenting with a 4s, an old 3g, and an iPod as a cheap phone substitute.  I will report back on this thread.

Freedom Pop Demo Video

[ Edited: 22 May 2012 03:07 PM by zulu ]      

Posted: 22 May 2012 03:55 PM #35

Drew Bear - 22 May 2012 03:34 PM

I don’t think that Apple has to compromise on iOS development. They’re going full-bore with iOS 6. If they do keep the 3GS for another year, it might be limited to the version of iOS 5 it currently runs. But as FalKirk pointed out, for $250 that is still a powerful device with access to nearly the full iOS ecosystem.

I don’t know what Apple has planned for iOS in the next few years. But just imagine the iPhone 4S locked with the current iteration of iOS 5…for $250 in 2014. That will be an incredibly capable phone no matter what new features the 8th gen. iPhone offers. And I think many people would choose it over whatever $100 Android phones are available in 2014 (Galaxy S2?).

It’s not unprecedented for Apple - see 10.6 and some 10.5 support - but it would be for iOS!

Apple doesn’t want to burden itself with a legacy iOS that it has to support alongside the latest iOS.  And what of security issues for the legacy iOS?  Wiill Apple just leave it at that?  Apple is not a company to waste resources in such a way by kinda supporting an old iOS.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 22 May 2012 04:41 PM #36

What is the oldest iOS version Apple still provides security updates for? (must be a better way to construct that question, but my brain is in a post-lunch fuzz…zzzzzzz)

The 3GS can run iOS 5 (not even 1 yr. old) and Apple should support that for the next few years.

Posted: 22 May 2012 04:45 PM #37

iOS 5, last I checked.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 22 May 2012 07:12 PM #38

Mav - 22 May 2012 06:55 PM
    Drew Bear - 22 May 2012 03:34 PM

I don’t think that Apple has to compromise on iOS development. They’re going full-bore with iOS 6. If they do keep the 3GS for another year, it might be limited to the version of iOS 5 it currently runs. But as FalKirk pointed out, for $250 that is still a powerful device with access to nearly the full iOS ecosystem.

I don’t know what Apple has planned for iOS in the next few years. But just imagine the iPhone 4S locked with the current iteration of iOS 5…for $250 in 2014. That will be an incredibly capable phone no matter what new features the 8th gen. iPhone offers. And I think many people would choose it over whatever $100 Android phones are available in 2014 (Galaxy S2?).

It’s not unprecedented for Apple - see 10.6 and some 10.5 support - but it would be for iOS!

Apple doesn’t want to burden itself with a legacy iOS that it has to support alongside the latest iOS.  And what of security issues for the legacy iOS?  Wiill Apple just leave it at that?  Apple is not a company to waste resources in such a way by kinda supporting an old iOS.

Apple does drop support for some features in iOS to allow new versions to still run on older hardware. I remember having a iPhone 3G that wasn’t able to have multitasking or wallpaper on the home screen, but it still got the latest iOS version that had those features for newer devices.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 22 May 2012 07:36 PM #39

That was when iPhone 3G had been out since…wait for it…2008. wink

Whew, good thing no one’s after Apple for dropping iPhone support three years out!

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 22 May 2012 07:38 PM #40

Mav - 22 May 2012 10:36 PM

That was when iPhone 3G had been out since…wait for it…2008. wink

Whew, good thing no one’s after Apple for dropping iPhone support three years out!

Yes, but it was still being sold by apple until mid 2010.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple

Posted: 22 May 2012 07:44 PM #41

In some countries?

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 22 May 2012 08:11 PM #42

Mav - 22 May 2012 10:44 PM

In some countries?

Up until the introduction of the iPhone 4

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple