Apple 2.0: FQ3 Mac Unit Sales Estimates

• Posted: 16 July 2011 12:49 AM #16

I am still at 4.25, but if you made me take “over or under”, I’d take over.

Almost everyone prefers Mac.  The reasons for buying Windows instead are 1) that’s what is used at work, 2) perceived lower price, 3) don’t want to learn something new, or 4) need to use software that runs only on Windows.

Numbers one, two, and three are declining in impact.  And in some cases number four can be addressed by keeping an old PC in a corner somewhere.  That’s how I run my chess software, which is 99.9% PC only.

And I plan to deal with Schwab’s refusal to support Macs equally with Windows by moving my accounts.  I tried talking to Chuck, but it was like talking to a wall.

I believe 20% growth is sustainable.

Posted: 16 July 2011 01:31 AM #17

Capa, you can get a nice bonus for moving to TD and the options are fantastic.

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 16 July 2011 01:39 AM #18

Apple Earnings: A Rare Growth Opportunity

If Apple sells 19.6 million iPhones (125%-plus growth) as JP Morgan projects, 10 million iPads (175% growth) as Andy Zaky projects, and 4.2 million Macs (28% growth) as the consensus expects, then Apple will report quarterly revenue of approximately $30.38 billion and earnings per share of $7.89. Such results would beat year over year revenue by 93.5% and earnings by 124%. The possibility of such an astounding beat will keep us in the game.

Posted: 16 July 2011 02:29 AM #19

Someone’s coffee is a bit strong today (referring to that author).

I’ll be just fine with a regular ol’ $6.50 EPS number, really (though I’m estimating about a quarter north of that).

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 16 July 2011 10:29 AM #20

Mav - 16 July 2011 05:29 AM

Someone’s coffee is a bit strong today (referring to that author).

I’ll be just fine with a regular ol’ $6.50 EPS number, really (though I’m estimating about a quarter north of that).

Sheesh!  Wake up and smell fresh ground.  That guy’s coffee?  Just regular drip!  Ain’t even espresso!  What you drinkin’ boy, instant coffee?? :bugeyed:

Actually, I guess you are right, when you compare with what the herd is thinking

Seriously, we have to wait 3 more months for the kick ass coffee, as envisioned over at Q4 estimates thread

[ Edited: 16 July 2011 10:40 AM by zulu ]      
  • Posted: 16 July 2011 10:46 AM #21

adamthompson3232 - 15 July 2011 04:27 AM

I think with the 8M+ iPad sales we are going to start to see the halo effect for Mac. I am thinking we are going to see Mac growth begin to accelerate relative to global PC trends for the next year or two as iPhone and iPad team up to create the mother of all halos.

Supporting anecdotes:  A colleague who is retiring in November bought an iPad 2 a few weeks ago. She has always had a work Windows computer at home, as she tele-commutes two days a week.  Before the iPad she never owned any Apple product.  Her new iMac was delivered last week smile

A friend in Vancouver bought an iPhone a year or so ago.  She has since bought a Android, but both her teen-agers have iPhones and the family now has a 27” iMac.

• Posted: 16 July 2011 03:42 PM #22

mbeauch - 16 July 2011 04:31 AM

Thanks, Mark.  I already use TOS for options.  As they are now part of TD, that gives TD a leg up.

I am veering off topic, but if anyone has experience with a Mac/iPad friendly broker ...

Posted: 16 July 2011 03:45 PM #23

capablanca - 16 July 2011 06:42 PM
    mbeauch - 16 July 2011 04:31 AM

Thanks, Mark.  I already use TOS for options.  As they are now part of TD, that gives TD a leg up.

I am veering off topic, but if anyone has experience with a Mac/iPad friendly broker ...

Is there a better mobile app than TD Ameritrades ‘iStockManager’?  Actually, it is the only mobile app I have used (disclaimer)

Posted: 17 July 2011 12:32 AM #24

roni - 16 July 2011 01:46 PM
    adamthompson3232 - 15 July 2011 04:27 AM

I think with the 8M+ iPad sales we are going to start to see the halo effect for Mac. I am thinking we are going to see Mac growth begin to accelerate relative to global PC trends for the next year or two as iPhone and iPad team up to create the mother of all halos.

Supporting anecdotes:  A colleague who is retiring in November bought an iPad 2 a few weeks ago. She has always had a work Windows computer at home, as she tele-commutes two days a week.  Before the iPad she never owned any Apple product.  Her new iMac was delivered last week smile

A friend in Vancouver bought an iPhone a year or so ago.  She has since bought a Android, but both her teen-agers have iPhones and the family now has a 27” iMac.

Im in a PC area.  Apple should step up the Mac advertising.  A lot of people have never heard of a 27” imac. You know the story.  They dont know that it is not just a screen, that computers (Macs) were available in this size and finally the affordable price.

Even a friend from a Mac area didnt know and she has an iphone.