AT&T

Posted: 14 July 2011 09:53 PM

I got an email from AT&T just now that wants me to give up my unlimited data plan for the ability to turn my phone into a wi=fi hot spot. $45 is not to bad, but it is a limited plan. (4gb). It also said that you had to be running IOS 4.3

Anyone else considering this?

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 14 July 2011 10:55 PM #1

As long as I’m with ATT, I’ll never give up the unlimited data plan.  This is just another way the carriers are going to try to squeeze a few extra $$ out of every smart phone user in the future.

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

Posted: 14 July 2011 11:00 PM #2

At some point I would hope that competitive pressures will allow hotspot tethering to become a standard feature of most data plans.

My service provider in Canada includes tethering in my data plan, as I suspect it is with many data plans across the three main Canadian networks. Data limited to 6GB in my current plan, but I rarely get near that level despite using it as my main Internet feed for 1-2 weeks at a time.

I frequently use Bluetooth hotspot tethering to allow my WiFi iPad to get online when I am away from the house.  WiFi or Bluetooth hotspot or USB cable tethering gets my laptop online at the same time

• Posted: 14 July 2011 11:59 PM #3

mbeauch - 15 July 2011 12:53 AM

I got an email from AT&T just now that wants me to give up my unlimited data plan for the ability to turn my phone into a wi=fi hot spot. $45 is not to bad, but it is a limited plan. (4gb). It also said that you had to be running IOS 4.3

I’m doing it.  I’ve never gone over 4GB, and it makes the 3G option unnecessary on the iPad.  I much prefer this over the Sprint Overdrive (4G and 3G) and the USB dongle (3G).  One less thing to carry (or remember).

You can also create a network of 3 devices.  Slick.

• Posted: 15 July 2011 12:51 AM #4

mbeauch - 15 July 2011 12:53 AM

If I understand the deal correctly, you give unlimited data for $30 per month for a $45 per month plan with a limit of 4GBs per month.

Using the iPad as an example, 3G capability costs an additional $130 and $15 per month, when used.

Over a 12-month period one spends an additional $180 for wi-fi hotspot feature. That’s enough to cover the 3G capability cost for the iPad and over three months of mont-to-month data service.

Over 24 months the additional $15 per month $360. That’s enough to cover the 3G capability cost for the iPad and over 15 months of month-to-month data service on the iPad. Of course, the $15 month-to-month data service plan provides for only 250 MBs of data service. But that’s more than enough to provide for use as a navigation device while traveling and light data use when away from a Wi-Fi connection.

Under those terms I’d stay with the unlimited plan or a less expensive metered plan and pay for the 3G service on the iPad when needed.

• Posted: 15 July 2011 03:11 AM #5

As tempting as tethering is, I am sticking with my $30 unlimited plan, which I got to keep because I originally signed on with an iPhone 3G when that was the only option.

I normally don’t use enough 3G data to use up the 4GB quota, but to me the extra few dollars a month are insurance that I can use my iPhone how I want and not worry about it.

Posted: 15 July 2011 03:18 AM #6

I couldn’t have said it better.

3G data will get faster, I assume even for those of us “least favored nation” customers on the unlimited plan, and at SOME point, those insipid 20MB app caps, 2005-quality YouTube video and no FaceTime over 3G stuff should go away, meaning higher data usage overall.  Not to mention, iPhone 5 will make it much easier to surf much faster.

I can get by without tethering for now.  I still have this feeling data packages will get worse before they get better, so I’ll stick to my unlimited plan for now.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 15 July 2011 12:12 PM #7

I’m actually giving up my big cap.

When Rogers came out with the iPhone 3G, the outcry over expensive and measly data plans was so much that Rogers caved. Theyoffered a temporary promotion: choose any voice plan, and you could tack on a 6GB data-plan for $30.

Problem is, here in the middle of New Brunswick, Rogers only offers Edge cellular data. Dial-up speeds all over again.

My monthly data usage ranges from 200-450MB, the latter only available when I’m traveling to a place with 3g. There hasn’t even been a hint of an upgrade; Rogers is too busy rolling out LTE in Ontario to bother competing with the other two HPSA+ providers in Miramichi.

So I’m planning on giving up the big cap for another provider; one that offers a smaller flex-rate plan. I figure that even with faster internet, my usage patterns will save me $20 a month, and I’ll get faster internet and more services out of it.

[ Edited: 15 July 2011 12:15 PM by KitsuneStudios ]

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.