Week 29: F.U.D. of the Week

• Posted: 17 July 2011 03:10 PM

NOMINATIONS are now open for F.U.D. (Fouled Up Dope) of week #29.

• Posted: 17 July 2011 03:26 PM #1

A lightweight entry to get us started this week:

Google Android + Sony Tablet and Ericsson Could Crush Apple iOS

(Sony’s) latest tablet devices, the Sony S1 and S2, could bring in a fresh wave of Android users.  Powered by the latest Google OS, the two tablets appear to be an innovative device that could alter the landscape of the market.  At first glance, users will notice a new design that strays from the traditional flat rectangular slate.  The Sony S1 integrates a design concept of a folded magazine while the Sony S2 can be folded to slip into your pocket.  Sony’s S2 offers another unique design in having two touchscreens that can display multiple websites or pages from an e-book.

I don’t know a thing about these two tablets, but I was listening to the ThisIsMyNext podcast and they crucified it.

There first complaint was that Sony keeps announcing and re-announcing it. They announced it in April. They announced it again this week. And it’s still not expected until the Fall. Just shut up and build it already.

Having said that, multiple premature announcements may be the least of Sony’s problems. The ThisIsMyNext crew are hardly pro-Apple. But they blew this product right out of the water. Dead On Arrival.

Now I try hard not to form an opinion one way or the other until there are three things: a) A firm ship date; b) a firm price; and c) a review by an objective third party. So I won’t speak to the quality of the product. But I can speak to the quality of the headline. Suggesting that a doubly pre-announced, not-existant product with the potential to be a train wreck could “crush iOS”, well, that’s just pure FUD.

Posted: 17 July 2011 10:14 PM #2

The headline is pure link-bait FUD. Fortunately, the author does go on to provide more detail and context. This portion explains the ironic idiocy of the headline.

Avid to Apple: Thank You, Thank You, Thank You

As for Avid, whose video-editing software is its core product, Apple has unwittingly thrown the company a life preserver. Avid has been foundering and hasn’t turned a profit in the past five years, so this play for ex-Final Cut Pro users is of the utmost importance…Avid was the nonlinear-editing innovator in the early 1990s, and its Media Composer was that market’s leader until losing out to Final Cut Pro in the early 2000s.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2011/07/17/avid-to-apple-thank-you-thank-you-thank-you.aspx

So Apple is throwing Avid a small life preserver after throwing them overboard the previous decade. They’ll probably yank the life preserver back next year and we’ll see how much longer Avid can stay afloat.

Posted: 17 July 2011 10:19 PM #3

That’s a funny one.  Always seems like those movies I go to see _weren’t_ made on a Mac.  Or it was Avid or whatever.

I’m sure FCP always did well in its various forms, but exactly how well?  Didn’t seem anywhere near “dominant.”

[ Edited: 17 July 2011 10:26 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 18 July 2011 09:35 AM #4

Drew Bear - 18 July 2011 01:14 AM

So Apple is throwing Avid a small life preserver after throwing them overboard the previous decade. They’ll probably yank the life preserver back next year and we’ll see how much longer Avid can stay afloat.

Probably a deserved life preserver. If Avid goes under so does 60% of the pro Audio stuff. They own a lot of companies now which make Apple-driven music stuff. Such as: M-Audio (hardware audio interfaces, controllers, keyboards etc.) Sibelius systems (music’s version of InDesign) and, of course, Digidesign (the high end audio editing suite), to name but three. Not counting all the stuff that Avid itself churns out.

Signature

Posted: 18 July 2011 12:21 PM #5

I submit TMO commenter Brian, employee of Best Buy:

I demo the Samsung Galaxy at BB.  Frankly, it?s just as good as the IPad?-not only to me, but to a majority of the BB employees.  Don?t get me wrong?-the IPad is a great product that will sell in huge numbers.  But here is what I see on a daily basis?-a customer comes in and buys the tablet based upon the phone they are currently using.  So in my opinion, the tablet market will follow very closely the smartphone market.  If you own an Android phone, there is a very good chance you will buy an Android tablet.  If you own a IPhone, you will buy an IPad.  I see it every day, and with so many Android phones out there it is only a matter of time before the total number of Android Tablets outsells the IPad.

Clearly FUD. Let me spell out the ways:
    1. Galaxy Tab just as good as the iPad? This is like saying that cosmic rays might have something to do with cloud formation. Heresy!
    2. Customers want a tablet that works like their phone? Only if they have an iPhone, duh!
    3. People actually have Android phones? Only geeks with acne-ridden faces and toilet paper stuck to their shoes!
    4. He’s a Best Buy employee.

Posted: 18 July 2011 01:48 PM #6

Subscribing to the thread

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 18 July 2011 02:03 PM #7

This “Trefis Team” (Led by MIT engineers and Wall Street analysts…) is erratic. I guess the analysts wrote today’s article.

Apple?s Worm: Can It Beat Its Own Earnings Forecasts?

Apple is expected to announce its fiscal year Q3 earnings on July 19th. It will be interesting to see if Apple is able to beat its guidance from last quarter?s earnings announcement.

http://blogs.forbes.com/greatspeculations/2011/07/18/apples-worm-can-it-beat-its-own-earnings-forecasts/?partner=yahootix

• Posted: 18 July 2011 02:15 PM #8

Caught a litte of CNBC at lunch.  Mentioned AAPL and possible iPhone5 heat issues.  Haven’t heard that one before.

Posted: 18 July 2011 02:28 PM #9

qualitywte - 18 July 2011 05:15 PM

Caught a litte of CNBC at lunch.  Mentioned AAPL and possible iPhone5 heat issues.  Haven’t heard that one before.

Sounds like click bait. I wonder how they would like it:

“CNBC has yet to comment on rumors that it has hacked into cell phones of politicians and celebrities.”

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 18 July 2011 02:30 PM #10

Drew Bear - 18 July 2011 05:03 PM

This “Trefis Team” (Led by MIT engineers and Wall Street analysts…) is erratic. I guess the analysts wrote today’s article.

Apple?s Worm: Can It Beat Its Own Earnings Forecasts?

Apple is expected to announce its fiscal year Q3 earnings on July 19th. It will be interesting to see if Apple is able to beat its guidance from last quarter?s earnings announcement.

http://blogs.forbes.com/greatspeculations/2011/07/18/apples-worm-can-it-beat-its-own-earnings-forecasts/?partner=yahootix

I think a version of that went up on Friday somewhere, but can’t find a link.

Am kind of amazed that someone could posit the theory that Apple won’t even make their own Earnings - laughable.

Signature

Posted: 19 July 2011 09:41 PM #11

The usual suspect, Huffington Post

7 Reasons I Left ITunes For Spotify

“This weekend I finally got out of an abusive relationship that had worn me down unceasingly for over eight years. Weak man that I am, I was only able to leave my tormentor because I have found a new partner, one who won’t frustrate or anger me or guard all of my things closely like a paranoid-obsessive. My new consort is nothing at all like my old one: readily adaptable, easygoing, eager to please. I want to tell the world about her and praise her from the mountaintops: a dark-skinned beauty from Sweden, her name is Spotify, and now that we’ve hooked up, I never want to see that dingbat iTunes again.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/18/left-itunes-for-spotify_n_902148.html

Signature

• Posted: 19 July 2011 09:48 PM #12

Sir Harry Flashman - 20 July 2011 12:41 AM

The usual suspect, Huffington Post

7 Reasons I Left ITunes For Spotify

“This weekend I finally got out of an abusive relationship that had worn me down unceasingly for over eight years. Weak man that I am, I was only able to leave my tormentor because I have found a new partner, one who won’t frustrate or anger me or guard all of my things closely like a paranoid-obsessive. My new consort is nothing at all like my old one: readily adaptable, easygoing, eager to please. I want to tell the world about her and praise her from the mountaintops: a dark-skinned beauty from Sweden, her name is Spotify, and now that we’ve hooked up, I never want to see that dingbat iTunes again.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/18/left-itunes-for-spotify_n_902148.html

Harry, the reason you are prepared to stay on topic, while the rest of us are off getting (very) drunk is why we love you.

Signature

Posted: 19 July 2011 09:57 PM #13

“Harry, the reason you are prepared to stay on topic, while the rest of us are off getting (very) drunk is why we love you.”

Sucks that you didn’t invite me to the kegger. I was always to school for cool. smile

Signature

Posted: 22 July 2011 03:39 AM #14

Aw, c’mon.  No FUD?

Well, here’s a fun one.  It’s Seeking Alpha, so you’re very likely to find some…interesting articles (along with absolute gems like DT’s work!), but hey, FUD’s FUD.

The punchline is in the author’s holdings.

Look for “The Time to Buy Apple Has Passed” on Seeking Alpha.  Can’t post the link since it’s blacklisted by the increasingly odd TMO forum software.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 22 July 2011 04:08 AM #15

Mav - 22 July 2011 06:39 AM

Aw, c’mon.  No FUD?.

I think the whole story about Apple “drifting down” to 61% of the table market was pure FUD, but it got covered extensively in another topic.