Week 29: F.U.D. of the Week

Posted: 22 July 2011 04:13 AM #16

That one was pretty hilarious as well, though yep, it did get its own topic. 

When a ton of competitors ship tons of tablets, market share, if you use the shipment metric, is bound to go down.  To hell with market share, the only relevant metric is growth.  And so far, iPad 2 is doin’ just fine.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 22 July 2011 10:24 AM #17

Mav - 22 July 2011 06:39 AM

Aw, c’mon.  No FUD?

Well, here’s a fun one.  It’s Seeking Alpha, so you’re very likely to find some…interesting articles (along with absolute gems like DT’s work!), but hey, FUD’s FUD.

The punchline is in the author’s holdings.

Look for “The Time to Buy Apple Has Passed” on Seeking Alpha.  Can’t post the link since it’s blacklisted by the increasingly odd TMO forum software.

Yes it blacklisted when I tried to post the link. Try this one and scroll down until you see a link to the FUD http://geezersalert.blogspot.com/2011/07/why-i-finally-sold-barnes-noble-time-to.html

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 22 July 2011 04:09 PM #18

I’m not even going to post the link or title to this one. Mark Hulbert is blogging on one of the major financial news outlets that CSCO is a better investment than AAPL. Pure linkbait, but he’s being rewarded with attention and interviews on MarketWatch et al.

Posted: 22 July 2011 04:15 PM #19

Oh, right.  The company that just laid off 6,500 employees.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 23 July 2011 12:32 AM #20

Is this FUD? How do they get into the battery chip?

?A security researcher claims to have found a new security flaw in Apple laptops that could allow hackers to ruin laptop batteries, infect them with malware or potentially cause them to overheat and catch fire.

Charlie Miller, principal research consultant at Accuvant Labs, said he has found a way to manipulate chips embedded inside Apple laptop batteries.
    The chip monitors the battery’s temperature and level of charge, among other things. Those chips can be remotely controlled by hackers using a default password that Miller found on a website of the chip’s creator, Texas Instruments. Apple never changed the default password, Miller said.?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/22/apple-laptop-security-flaw_n_907488.html

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 23 July 2011 01:36 AM #21

Drew Bear - 22 July 2011 07:09 PM

I’m not even going to post the link or title to this one. Mark Hulbert is blogging on one of the major financial news outlets that CSCO is a better investment than AAPL. Pure linkbait, but he’s being rewarded with attention and interviews on MarketWatch et al.

Drew, that is an old story, I was fretting over that a couple of days ago.  :-x He is so anti-Apple it is amazing.

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 23 July 2011 02:23 AM #22

Mark, his story keeps popping up and he’s a big enough name that “news” channels interview him. I pity those who follow his advice; even more if they pay him for it.

Posted: 23 July 2011 04:23 AM #23

re: the battery chip - not a fan of Miller’s style, but if he notified Apple and TI about it at least as was reported, that’s a good thing.  “Battery chip password”?  Most of us would never have known without it being publicized.  And since it IS known, fix the damn thing, please, pronto.

re: Hulbert and others like him - WS, tech pundits, financial reporters, it’s all the same.  In WS-land, if you’re into “value” or some fixed-worldview nonsense you just can’t fathom a one-in-a-billion company like Apple that magically fits certain time-honored characteristics of your preferred stocks (like being hideously undervalued), due to things like “growth” or “fads” or “competition” or “mercurial”/“ailing” leadership.  And stuff like that recent WSJ financial article saying Apple, the world’s fastest growing company, “isn’t terribly expensive” because its P/E is lower than the S&P 500 average? 

Heck, it’s almost like I should read those articles from the bottom (where the disclosures are) first.  I see a blue chip holding like MSFT, CSCO, INTC matching up with an anti-AAPL headline?  Pfft!  Click on!  Next!

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 23 July 2011 11:31 AM #24

Sir Harry Flashman - 23 July 2011 03:32 AM

Is this FUD? How do they get into the battery chip?

?A security researcher claims to have found a new security flaw in Apple laptops that could allow hackers to ruin laptop batteries, infect them with malware or potentially cause them to overheat and catch fire.

Charlie Miller, principal research consultant at Accuvant Labs, said he has found a way to manipulate chips embedded inside Apple laptop batteries.
    The chip monitors the battery’s temperature and level of charge, among other things. Those chips can be remotely controlled by hackers using a default password that Miller found on a website of the chip’s creator, Texas Instruments. Apple never changed the default password, Miller said.?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/22/apple-laptop-security-flaw_n_907488.html

Maybe a good reason for a sealed-in battery?

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 24 July 2011 11:21 AM #25

Nominations for Week 30: F.U.D. of the Week are being taken, HERE.

• Posted: 24 July 2011 12:41 PM #26

So, with a great deal of work, if I give my Macbook Pro to Miller, he believes he can cause its battery to overheat purely by installing software.

Big deal. If Miller gives me his, with barely any effort, without installing any software, I am certain I can toss it in the furnace.

• Posted: 24 July 2011 12:54 PM #27

sleepygeek - 24 July 2011 03:41 PM

So, with a great deal of work, if I give my Macbook Pro to Miller, he believes he can cause its battery to overheat purely by installing software.

Big deal. If Miller gives me his, with barely any effort, without installing any software, I am certain I can toss it in the furnace.

:-D   :-D :-D

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!