Thundering Herd Update

• Posted: 18 July 2011 03:40 PM

[ Edited: 19 September 2011 12:48 AM by John Molloy ]

Signature

Posted: 18 July 2011 03:53 PM #1

rattyuk - 18 July 2011 06:40 PM

http://www.bgr.com/2011/07/18/rim-to-discontinue-blackberry-playbook/

RIM to discontinue Wi-Fi BlackBerry PlayBook?
    By: Jonathan S. Geller | Jul 18th, 2011 at 02:15PM

In a note to investors Monday afternoon, RBC Capital Markets Managing Director Mike Abramsky reiterated an OTR Global report that Research In Motion is possibly planning to stop production of the BlackBerry PlayBook?s Wi-Fi model. The Wi-Fi version of RIM?s tablet is the only version Research In Motion currently manufacturers. The reasons for the discontinuation of the Wi-Fi edition, Abramsky states, could be related to a pullback in production, a move that would align channel inventory with slower than expected sell-through, in addition to RIM focusing on upcoming cellularly-connected PlayBook versions.

So I guess Brain Blair had it about right back in Feb

Wedge Partners principal Brian Blair on Tuesday issued a note to clients that called RIM?s upcoming virgin tablet offering ?dead on arrival.? RIM is set to debut the BlackBerry PlayBook next month and opinions of press, bloggers and analysts have been very polarized thus far. Some think the PlayBook will be well received by the enterprise market, projecting that RIM could sell as many as 6 million units in the PlayBook?s first year of availability. Others, however, are not so optimistic. ?[The BlackBerry PlayBook] will be sharply inferior to other tablets on the market and consumers won?t buy it,? Blair told CNBC when asked about his note to investors. ?They are targeting it at enterprise but I believe very few will actually roll it out widely.? Blair says that the PlayBook?s need to be tethered to a BlackBerry smartphone in order for users to access email, contacts and the calendar is the biggest disappointment surrounding RIM?s upcoming tablet. He goes on to suggest that the PlayBook could potentially end up costing RIM ?hundreds of millions of dollars? in ?product development, production and related rollout and marketing costs.?

Posted: 18 July 2011 03:59 PM #2

Also being reported by Jim Dalrymple over at Loop Insight: http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/07/18/rim-may-stop-production-of-the-playbook/

RIMM: down 3% today, 8% past week, 60% past 6 months.

BUY!!! Its a *bargain* now
    (not!)

Signature

Don’t anthropomorphize computers, they hate that.

• Posted: 18 July 2011 05:47 PM #3

[ Edited: 19 September 2011 12:48 AM by John Molloy ]

Signature

• Posted: 18 July 2011 05:58 PM #4

Samsung Smart Case
    What a blatant copy!

Posted: 18 July 2011 06:05 PM #5

Did Sammy put magnets in the GalaxyTab to make this work?

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

• Posted: 18 July 2011 06:12 PM #6

macglenn - 18 July 2011 09:05 PM

Did Sammy put magnets in the GalaxyTab to make this work?

It’s not really a knock off.  More of a cross between the Scosche cover and Apples.  No magnets and covered front and back.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 18 July 2011 06:39 PM #7

rattyuk - 18 July 2011 08:47 PM

And of course, someone has this absolutely brilliant idea for a cover…

And people think people are innocent on the copying front. Really?

And Apple’s lawyers aren’t just grinning from ear to ear at this little nugget they can reference in future filings and stuff…

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 18 July 2011 06:48 PM #8

Mav - 18 July 2011 09:39 PM
    rattyuk - 18 July 2011 08:47 PM

And of course, someone has this absolutely brilliant idea for a cover…

And people think people are innocent on the copying front. Really?

And Apple’s lawyers aren’t just grinning from ear to ear at this little nugget they can reference in future filings and stuff…

It’s a smart case, not a smart cover. Completely different! :wink:

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 18 July 2011 06:50 PM #9

[ Edited: 19 September 2011 12:52 AM by John Molloy ]

Signature

Posted: 18 July 2011 06:50 PM #10

Mav - 18 July 2011 09:39 PM

Samsung :dunce:
    Seriously!?!?!?!

Maybe they’ve given up all pretense and have just decided to copy everything.

Signature

Don’t anthropomorphize computers, they hate that.

• Posted: 18 July 2011 06:54 PM #11

I wonder what the components side of Samsung thinks every time they see stuff like this?  How many times does Samsung need to poke Apple in the eye with a sharp stick, before Steve gets really fed up and instructs his manufacturing supply chain people to do everything in their power to minimize purchases of Samsung components?  Samsung seems particularly aggressive in copying the iPad and now its most lucrative accessory.  Not sure this is real smart in the long run.

Posted: 18 July 2011 07:19 PM #12

Paging lawyers…..

There is a bleacher chance that this could be an even bigger mistake for Samsung.  Financing comes from Samsung Corporation.  But its an obvious effort to hide assets. 

This could be a battle for a decade.

Posted: 20 July 2011 04:47 PM #13

Is a new beast is joining the herd? Didn’t MSFT just say there would be NO Windows Phone 7 tablets?

Lenovo Unveils 3 New Tablets

The new Lenovo tablets, all of which have 10.1-inch touchscreens, are the IdeaPad Tablet K1 for consumers, the ThinkPad Tablet for business users and the IdeaPad Tablet P1 for home and office use.

The IdeaPad Tablet P1 uses Microsoft Corp.‘s Windows 7 software and will launch in the fourth quarter. The other two tablets use the latest “Honeycomb” version of Android and will be available in the U.S. next month and world-wide in the third quarter.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303795304576457024285832188.html

Posted: 20 July 2011 09:36 PM #14

I read that as Windows 7, not Windows PHONE 7.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 20 July 2011 09:44 PM #15

Intruder - 21 July 2011 12:36 AM

I read that as Windows 7, not Windows PHONE 7.

Thanks for the correction. My mistake. Too bad for Lenovo. WP7 might have worked better.