Thundering Herd Update

Posted: 21 July 2011 01:40 PM #16

Go to Amazon and search “Android tablet”. You’ll be surprised to see the number of sub-$200 tablets made by such renowned firms as Coby, Augen, Maylong, etc. 30% unit market share via cheap junk like these are not real competition for the iPad. The metric is meaningless. The story will be very different if they break it down by revenue and actual sales.

• Posted: 21 July 2011 01:54 PM #17

Drew Bear - 21 July 2011 04:40 PM

Go to Amazon and search “Android tablet”. You’ll be surprised to see the number of sub-$200 tablets made by such renowned firms as Coby, Augen, Maylong, etc. 30% unit market share via cheap junk like these are not real competition for the iPad. The metric is meaningless. The story will be very different if they break it down by revenue and actual sales.

This is good news.  Like happened with the iPod, competitors are coming to market with inferior product and spending hundreds of millions promoting the category.  A category that Apple will dominate, and hopefully pretty much continue to outright own. 

These guys are just making the pie bigger.

• Posted: 21 July 2011 04:29 PM #18

[ Edited: 19 September 2011 12:52 AM by John Molloy ]

Signature

Posted: 21 July 2011 05:18 PM #19

rattyuk - 21 July 2011 07:29 PM
    LongAAPLsince02 - 21 July 2011 04:54 PM
    Drew Bear - 21 July 2011 04:40 PM

Go to Amazon and search “Android tablet”. You’ll be surprised to see the number of sub-$200 tablets made by such renowned firms as Coby, Augen, Maylong, etc.

This is good news.  Like happened with the iPod, competitors are coming to market with inferior product and spending hundreds of millions promoting the category.  A category that Apple will dominate, and hopefully pretty much continue to outright own. 

These guys are just making the pie bigger.

One assumes that the sub 200 units are helping towards that activation figure.

The article is not quoting Google’s activation numbers. This is supposedly based on shipments.

Research firm Strategy Analytics discovers that shipments of Android-driven tablets are finally beginning to make a meaningful impact on the overall tablet market.

Posted: 21 July 2011 11:03 PM #20

adamthompson3232 - 21 July 2011 03:11 PM

The fact that TC said on the call that production in July is up from June is very telling. He essentially is telegraphing that 12M may be a floor for the quarter.

I think both Cook and Oppenheimer commented on that.  It’s a “gift” of sorts, however obvious - of course Apple would ramp up production, but it was good to hear the official word from those two.  11 million sold for next quarter seems like a lock, particularly with iCloud to enhance the ownership experience.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 26 July 2011 10:04 PM #21

The Xoom is said to be LTE upgradeable - this September.

Source: Engadget

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 27 July 2011 08:16 AM #22

[ Edited: 19 September 2011 12:52 AM by John Molloy ]

Signature

• Posted: 27 July 2011 01:22 PM #23

rattyuk - 27 July 2011 11:16 AM
    Mav - 27 July 2011 01:04 AM

The Xoom is said to be LTE upgradeable - this September.

Source: Engadget

Excellent news. Something that was promised “within 90 days” is finally shipping. But I don’t think that ticking the final box that Motorola promised in a list of Unique Selling Points of their products over the iPad is going to make much difference.

Right now, non-Apple tablets have four points of differentiation:

1) Hardware
    2) Operating System
    3) LTE
    4) Flash
    5) “Open” architecture

1) Hardware has proven to be a disappointment. None of the competing products has been able to match the iPad on design, build quality or hardware performance. Some have been able to boost their specs over that of the iPad, but saying that “your wife will love the dual core tegra 2 chipset” is a very poor marketing strategy indeed.

More importantly, I think that the competition is headed down a blind alley. They think that people want their tablets to be more like PCs. They think that people want more ports, more slots, more peripherals. I think Geeks want all of those things. But I think that the common man - and that covers about 95% of us - want the tablet to be self-contained. And with iCloud around the bend, that’s going to become even more true. So competitors have a big problem on their hands. They’re adding ports and Sim cards and peripherals to distinguish their products from the iPad - and nobody even wants that stuff.

2) Operating System: So far, no Operating System has been able to compete with iOS. The best you can say for them is that they have “potential”. ‘Nuff said.

3) LTE: LTE is one of those check list features that sells hardware but doesn’t necessarily improve the product. LTE is coming for sure, but the anecdotal evidence is that LTE devices are returned more than any other mobile device once people discover that it can only be used in certain areas and that it destroys one’s battery life.

4) Flash: Talk about ironic. The new tablet market is trying to distinguish itself from the iPad by tying itself to a proprietary, archaic product that destroys performance and weakens security. Nice move. Flash is to Tablets what dirigibles are to modern airports - slow moving gas bags that threaten to crash and burn at any moment.

5) Open: This is just marketing nonsense. There’s nothing open about the PlayBook or TouchPad and I would argue that there is little “open” about any of Android’s offerings too. Geeks love this stuff, but I’d love to see an objective survey done to see whether ordinary folk even know what “open” is and whether they give a damn. I suspect that “open” is not nearly as popular among the masses as amongst the Technorrati.

So there you have it. Five points of differentiation between the iPad and the rest of the field. All of them are immature at the moment. Some of them are actual liabilities. Until competitors can come up with REAL points of differentiation, there will be no Tablet market. There will only be an iPad market.

Posted: 28 July 2011 12:29 PM #24

Yesterday’s Joy of Tech

The Joy of Tech usually has new comics on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 28 July 2011 12:42 PM #25

Good cartoon. They neglected to mention that the stage after “Acceptance” is death.

Posted: 28 July 2011 06:07 PM #26

Amazon’s First Tablet Will Attack The Nook, Not The iPad

Follow these stocks
    Matt Rosoff, On Thursday July 28, 2011, 4:21 pm
    Anyone expecting Amazon to release a tablet computer that will compete with the iPad might want to dial back expectations.

A source close to the company tells us that Amazon is launching at least one tablet later this year, but it will be an advanced e-reader with a color screen and some apps—more akin to the Nook Color from Barnes & Noble than the iPad.

This matches what a developer told CNET earlier this month: Amazon is set to announce a 7-inch tablet “any day now,” but it will likely have a low-powered chip and no camera.

It’s focused on the Nook Color because that’s where the Kindle is most vulnerable.

Now, this doesn’t mean Amazon won’t develop a full fledged tablet down the road. But for now, it’s going to focus on controlling the e-reader space it has defined for the last three years.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Amazons-First-Tablet-Will-siliconalley-3420675949.html?x=0&.v=1

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 28 July 2011 08:22 PM #27

Heck, assuming each of the 440k tablets is actually sold to a customer who keeps it, Apple eclipses that number in about half a week…at last quarter’s run rate.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 28 July 2011 11:53 PM #28

Motorola said on Thursday that it expects to sell 1.3 million to 1.5 tablets for the full year, after selling 440,000 devices in the just-reported second quarter.

Apple sells 1.5 million iPads every 2 weeks, for context.

(And is Motorola talking about shipping 1.5 million tablets into the channel this year, or selling them to consumers? The 440,000 devices are described as shipments in the press release…

http://www.splatf.com/2011/07/xoom-shipments/

• Posted: 29 July 2011 12:17 AM #29

Red shirted ensign - 28 July 2011 09:07 PM

Amazon’s First Tablet Will Attack The Nook, Not The iPad

A source close to the company tells us that Amazon is launching at least one tablet later this year, but it will be an advanced e-reader with a color screen and some apps—more akin to the Nook Color from Barnes & Noble than the iPad.

This matches what a developer told CNET earlier this month: Amazon is set to announce a 7-inch tablet “any day now,” but it will likely have a low-powered chip and no camera

This has been my contention all along. I think it would be madness for Amazon to come out with a full 10 inch tablet running Android and going head to head with Apple, RIM, HP and the other Android tablets.

Further, I don’t see the Nook or Kindle as even being competition for the iPad. They’re in a different category altogether.

Posted: 02 August 2011 08:53 PM #30

A price drop, already.  Sure sign of marketplace flop!

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.