Thundering Herd Update

• Posted: 05 June 2012 10:55 PM #166

I have to confess that the 4th gen Kindle is a necessary part of my carry on life.

Perhaps living in South West Florida with it’s constant sunshine might have swung it but I can read the Kindle in direct sunlight whereas my iPad is unreadable and shuts itself down if it gets too hot from direct sunlight.

The Kindle does one thing. But it does it very well. Can’t use it to call my family back in the UK, can’t use it as a phone if I need to. But what it does it does well, as I mentioned, and I only have to charge it once a month.

Changing the subject has anyone else noticed that the current batch of Fire ads on TV are demonstrating the Fire being used in all the places that they claimed the iPad wouldn’t work in all the earlier Kindle eBook ads? One rule for one, another rule when you desperately need to sell hardware you have stocked up in the warehouses.

Signature

• Posted: 06 June 2012 12:23 AM #167

I have never seen a Fire ad.

• Posted: 06 June 2012 06:03 AM #168

They’ve been running pretty heavily on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JwfRmzlIsw

Signature

Posted: 07 June 2012 02:44 AM #169

I wonder if the lack-of-profit margin on this is as good as the Fire. We’ll have to see if it really does hit the shelves at that price in Q3.

Acer reveals sub-$200 7-inch quad-core Iconia Tab A110

...a 7-inch tablet with Android 4.0 that’s powered by an Nvidia Tegra 3 processor…It’s a little thick at 11.4mm, and the screen’s viewing angles aren’t so impressive, but next to a Kindle Fire at the same price point we know which one we’d choose.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/6/6/3067386/acer-iconia-tab-quad-core-tablet-price

Posted: 07 June 2012 02:50 AM #170

Clearly, the chipset isn’t necessarily the limiting factor in the tablet race to the bottom.

And still the competition continues with the 7” form factor.  _________ help them if Apple ever decides to throw an iPad nano in that arena.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 07 June 2012 03:28 AM #171

Mav - 07 June 2012 05:50 AM

Clearly, the chipset isn’t necessarily the limiting factor in the tablet race to the bottom.

And still the competition continues with the 7” form factor.  _________ help them if Apple ever decides to throw an iPad nano in that arena.

Apple decided to do an iPad nano years ago. When SJ said smaller iPads won’t work only dipsticks (aka pretend iPad competitors) paid attention. If someone’s fingers aren’t too big for an iPod Touch or iPhone clearly they won’t be too big for a smaller iPad. Smaller iPad is coming, and that right soon.

Posted: 07 June 2012 04:48 AM #172

I still believe that SJ was referring to packing a full tablet UI into a 7” display. He clearly was not talking about the touchscreen UI optimized for the 3.5” iPhone display.

Open an app like Mail or Flipboard on both the iPhone and iPad. Orient both in landscape and try to imagine reducing the iPad UI to the iPhone screen. It does not work.

“This size isn’t sufficient to create great tablet apps”...“people would have to use sandpaper to sand down their fingers to use the screen”

It’s a great piece of misdirection. What he said is absolutely true if you read it precisely.

“7-inch tablets are tweeners; too big to compete against a smartphone, and too small to compete with the iPad”

Again, totally true if you pay attention to the exact words. 7 inches would be an absurd size for a smartphone. And 7” tablets have proven to be no competition to the iPad, even at less than half the price. There simply is not enough screen real estate to create great tablet apps and those are what make the iPad so valuable.

All that said, it does not mean Apple is not working on a iOS device with a 7” screen. What is neither a phone or a tablet? The iPod touch. You could argue that it is technically a tablet. But without room for the tablet UI, you can’t create great iPad apps. However, you can create great iPod touch apps.

7” Android tablets are popular mostly because they are cheap. Another reason is they can run Android phone apps relatively well, but not the few tablet-optimized Android apps. Once again, “This size isn’t sufficient to create great tablet apps”.

I think the Android OEMs would have better success marketing the 7” devices as a competitor to the iPod touch. Even then I doubt they could match the 20-25 million iPods touch sold each year.

Posted: 11 June 2012 05:31 PM #174

I just shorted AMZN today.  This is awesome news! :D

But seriously, I was wondering if that shoe would ever drop.

Meanwhile, I think the Thundering Herd isn’t so thundering.  They’re taking a thoughtful pause.  As they should, after today.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 11 June 2012 05:55 PM #175

The herd has never thundered except in the imaginations of the punditry. For example, right now the loudest thunder is coming from Windows 8 RT tablets….which, of course, don’t even exist yet.

BTW, did anyone get the impression that most of the Computex reveals last week were of the WinTel tablets? Not many ARM-based products were seen. And neither were ready for hands-on reviews. It was all “look, but don’t touch”.

Posted: 11 June 2012 05:59 PM #176

Meanwhile:  “Hey everyone, we’re Apple.  Isn’t the new iPad great?  We’re getting Siri in a few months, and our version of turn-by-turn/Maps, and an iWallet precursor, and…”

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 11 June 2012 06:14 PM #177

The cadence of Apple releases is truly a thing of beauty. A new iPad in March, then the iOS update 6 months later give it a huge boost in functionality going into the holidays.

I listened to an Android-focused podcast yesterday and the panel of hosts/guests were unanimous in recommending the iPad over any current Android tablet. None of them were optimistic that whatever Google tablet comes out next month at I/O will close the gap significantly. Today’s announcements only guarantees that the iPad will surge forward in the Fall.

Posted: 12 June 2012 08:54 PM #178

Theo Valich, VR-Zone:

During our meetings with multiple vendors on the Computex Taipei, we were talking about pricing options for taking the Windows RT route instead of (free) Android from Google. While it was rumored that Microsoft decided to change their ways and offer a price of about 35 dollars ? the reality is that Windows RT will cost staggering USD$80-95 dollars, with $85 being the most commonly quoted price.

I find this hard to believe. How could these tablets be price competitive with the iPad if it costs $85 for Windows alone?

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/06/12/windows-rt-oem

• Posted: 12 June 2012 09:45 PM #179

Drew Bear - 12 June 2012 11:54 PM

Theo Valich, VR-Zone:

During our meetings with multiple vendors on the Computex Taipei, we were talking about pricing options for taking the Windows RT route instead of (free) Android from Google. While it was rumored that Microsoft decided to change their ways and offer a price of about 35 dollars ? the reality is that Windows RT will cost staggering USD$80-95 dollars, with $85 being the most commonly quoted price.

I find this hard to believe. How could these tablets be price competitive with the iPad if it costs $85 for Windows alone?

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/06/12/windows-rt-oem

Shocking.

My initial reaction was “no way”. An $85 license would sink the fledgling Microsoft tablets.

Then I remembered that Microsoft is on the horns of a dilemma. If they charge $85 per tablet they are dooming the product. However, if they charge $30 per license they are cutting their income by a third.

Let’s do the math. Apple makes $300 per tablet and owns 70% of the market. Microsoft makes $30 per tablet and owns, what, 30% if they’re a mega success?

Those numbers don’t bode well for Microsoft no matter how you add them up.

Posted: 12 June 2012 10:08 PM #180

FalKirk - 13 June 2012 12:45 AM

... Microsoft is on the horns of a dilemma. If they charge $85 per tablet they are dooming the product. However, if they charge $30 per license they are cutting their income by a third.

Checkmate.