Where is iPhone fo NTT DoCoMo?

• Posted: 18 July 2011 04:42 PM

The dominant mobile carrier in Japan and a huge opportunity, compared to Softbank, a minor carrier and the only one with the iPhone.

Yet we hear nothing.

Does any one have any idea why nothning seems to be happening in Japan to expand iPhone distribution?

Posted: 18 July 2011 05:34 PM #1

I would guess that there really is only a limited supply of iPhones. Given the Massive population/potential customer base in China, TC decided to go after the whale before the big fish.

Once things are in order for China and orders can be met, they will move on to Japan. From there, back to India and Africa?

Go TC Go!!

• Posted: 18 July 2011 09:28 PM #2

I believe they said iPhone supply has caught up with demand.  I doubt Applec will willingly concede a major market like Japan, but which they unfortunately appear to be doing by stcking with just a single minor carrier.

• Posted: 18 July 2011 09:37 PM #3

Isn’t anyone concerned that DoCoMo is not picking up iPhone, and thus causing Apple to lose smartphone share in Japan, perhaps permanently?  Now Samsung Galaxy S is apparently outselling iPhone in Japan.  Now this would be the second major market where a single Android model is outselling iPhone.

This is not good news in my book, especially as a possible leading indicator.

• Posted: 18 July 2011 10:13 PM #4

>>Supply is nowhere near demand. not even close to being in the same ballpark.

Didn’t Tim Cook said on the last earnings conf call that iPhone supply is now in balance with demand?  He did - see the transcript.

• Posted: 18 July 2011 10:16 PM #5

>> See the U.S. carrier partnership pattern and ensuing iphone sales for everything you need to know about what will happen in Japan.

My concern is that unlike the US carriers, NTT chose not to offer the iPhone, and seems to be doing as well as it could with. The Android.

Posted: 18 July 2011 10:29 PM #6

Fear not - NTT docomo and its LTE implementation is liekly supported in iphone 5, so expect a release on the operator when the iphone 5 ships.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics