Which iOS 5 feature most excites you?

• Posted: 19 July 2011 04:08 AM

Apple is packing a lot of new stuff into iOS 5. Which new stuff is most interesting to you and why?

• Posted: 19 July 2011 04:44 AM #1

Personally the new notification system is a huge one. I also like the idea of being able to use iMessage from my iPhone or iPad and have everything in sync - at least when messaging users of other iOS devices.

It’s also huge that we will no longer be subject to carrier quotas for SMS. Personally I have unlimited messaging on my family plan but I know other iPhone users who have set quotas so I have to be careful how often I send them texts or MMS messages.

Posted: 19 July 2011 11:22 AM #2

I’m really looking forward to the new notifications system, too. iOS 4’s notifications get in the way, interrupt what I’m doing, and feel horribly clunky. Bring on the new notifications!

Posted: 19 July 2011 12:10 PM #3

The three iOS features I am most excited about are:

* Live Wallpapers that applications can use as their drawing background.
    * Voice activated turn by turn navigation.
    * Support for 7” devices that I can use as a bedside clock/radio/alarm.

Posted: 05 August 2011 11:58 AM #4

Ok I’ll play the moron here.
    Is there a list of iOS-5 features somewhere. I’ve read so many speculations and possibilities, and hints, and wild ideas floating around the web that I don’t really know WHAT will be included.

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

• Posted: 05 August 2011 01:29 PM #5

For music lovers like me who wrangle 150+ gigs of music files, iTunes Match is going to be gigantic. 

First, it looks like it’s the tipping point away from MP3.  There is finally, with iCloud, enough support for AAC across devices to make MP3 unnecessary, and iTunes Match means that the crappy rip you made of your CD from 1989 will be replaced with a perfect, up-to-date 256k AAC from Apple’s store.  I’ve been sandbagging on replacing my car stereo, watching while AAC support emerged and improved there as well (and also direct iPod control and USB stick support) so that’ll be part of the changeover for me. 

Second, it should finally go a long way toward eliminating derelict tracks in collections.  And I don’t just mean the duplicate tracks on my parents’ iMac from when they kept trying to play the CD over and over, not realizing it was importing every time, until I showed them that it was in the system and the CD could go into the closet.  I mean the detritus that builds up over the course of a music collection that just doesn’t line up correctly. Though I’m sure the iTunes update that enables Match will try to do some kind of comprehensive library overhaul, I hope Apple also adds direct convert capability for selected ranges of files, like the current iTunes has for applying album cover art or making mp3 files.  I have plenty of stuff ripped ages ago where Windows/CDDB gave it an album title that doesn’t match what iTMS has, and now I’d love to get some cleanup on those, but I expect I’ll have to parse through it album by album.

Third, for someone like me who prefers a highly curated collection of music, it serves as a filter for eliminating marginal tracks that never really held my interest and that haven’t shown up on the iTMS.

Fourth, though I have bought my music outright far more often than not (especially for bands that I collect physical media of), and I try to set a good example for my kids, there is a fair amount of material in my music collection that I could no longer tell you how I got.  The fact that 25 bucks a year makes your entire collection completely legal and legit is a huge benefit, especially at a time when the RIAA is not reluctant to litigate (as Weird Al said, “Even if you’re a grandma or a seven-year-old girl, they’ll treat you like the hard-bitten criminal scum you are!”).  I’m willing to pay to be sure.  I’ll pay for the certainty; for the peace of mind.

Fifth and last, and in the broader sense, I like iTunes Match because it’s one step closer to the media future we saw in Star Trek: TNG, where you just decide you want to watch or listen to something, you tell your computer to play it, and there it is.  Netflix streaming was a big step in this direction for video, and iTunes Match is a big step in this direction for audio.  Subscription access to content hasn’t really flown in the past, but mostly for logistical reasons.  Apple and Netflix seem finally to have figured out the mechanic that makes it work.  I’m all about content creators getting paid, and yet at the same time I’m against the industry’s recent efforts to microcharge us into oblivion for our daily consumption.  It seems they may finally have realized that 1% of a trillion dollars is more than 95% of a few hundred thousand dollars.

Posted: 05 August 2011 02:58 PM #6

geoduck - 05 August 2011 02:58 PM

Ok I’ll play the moron here.
    Is there a list of iOS-5 features somewhere. I’ve read so many speculations and possibilities, and hints, and wild ideas floating around the web that I don’t really know WHAT will be included.

List of iOS 5 features:
    http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html

• Posted: 05 August 2011 04:01 PM #7

This seems to be the “‘Bout ‘Frickin Time!” update. Most of the features are things that I have been waiting on for a while now. iOS wasn’t awful without them, but it will be so much better with.  Somewhat like “Pancakes and syrup. Now with Blueberries!”

In no particular order:

Multi-tasking gestures.
    This will be huge for students. I am constantly switching between Safari, Goodreader, and Elements when doing schoolwork. This will save quite a bit of time and hassle. It reminds me a little bit of the HP tablet app switching functionality. Hopefully it is as useful as it looks.

Reminders.
    I currently use Alarmed for my reminders and alarms, mainly because it is so easy to use. I will be interested to see how Apple’s version works.

Safari
    This finally brings the functionality to Safari that should have been there all along. I use Terra for tabbed browsing (and user agent spoofing), but native Safari tabs might mean I use Terra less.

Notification Center.
    I don’t know how many alerts I have clicked away before I meant to. This is a great feature, long in coming.

Photos.
    Another feature that I have been missing. I am very much looking forward to cropping and adjusting my photos on my iPad for my iPad.

PC Free.
    I’m curious how this will ultimately work out, but regardless, I think it will change peoples mindsets about iPads.

Wi-Fi Sync.
    See “PC Free”

Anyway, this is just my opinion of the things I am looking forward to using.

Posted: 05 August 2011 04:34 PM #8

onemoreanimal - 05 August 2011 05:58 PM

List of iOS 5 features:
    http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html

Thanks. That helps a lot.

Ross Edwards - 05 August 2011 04:29 PM

The fact that 25 bucks a year makes your entire collection completely legal and legit is a huge benefit.

Oddly enough it’s the one feature that scares me the most. I have a lot of stuff that I ripped from weird disks or downloaded from strange places. It’s all LEGAL but likely not in iTunes other normal catalogues and channels. What happens if the system decides that not only do they not have a higher quality match but that my copy is illegal? A note to RIAA perhaps? Ummm no I’ll keep my copy of Second Hand Pants: Space Robot Spiritual to myself.

dmuzzy - 05 August 2011 07:01 PM

PC Free.
    I’m curious how this will ultimately work out, but regardless, I think it will change peoples mindsets about iPads.

Wi-Fi Sync.
    See “PC Free”.

I am really looking forward to these two. The irony is especially delicious after the comments from Stan Shih today http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/acer_founder_ipad_tablets_are_a_flash_in_the_pan/). His major point being that people will always need a PC to make use of a tablet.

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

• Posted: 05 August 2011 05:23 PM #9

geoduck - 05 August 2011 07:34 PM

Oddly enough it’s the one feature that scares me the most. I have a lot of stuff that I ripped from weird disks or downloaded from strange places. It’s all LEGAL but likely not in iTunes other normal catalogues and channels. What happens if the system decides that not only do they not have a higher quality match but that my copy is illegal? A note to RIAA perhaps? Ummm no I’ll keep my copy of Second Hand Pants: Space Robot Spiritual to myself.

Red book CD audio has no DRM or sourcing information, so there is no concern with that… if you ever ripped it off an audio CD yourself, there is bugger all that Apple, the RIAA, or anyone else could do to prove or even suggest that you acquired the material through illegal means.  So no worries for your obscure indie treasures, fortunately.  Most of my collection is like this—whether it was (or still is) my own CD, or whether it was borrowed, either way I ripped it myself, so its origin is sanitized.

Torrents and P2P are another story.  An album ripped to a given bunch of file sizes that HAPPENS to be identical to the file sizes of that album on millions of other iTunes Match computers… would that suggest infringement?  Would Apple do anything about that?  Would they care to?  Legally, COULD they, given that there would have to be a threshold for a number of identical copies before it’s more than just the natural result of similar software being used by many people to rip a scratch-free CD?  In fact, EAC (Exact Audio Copy) might be a bulwark against that entire chain of reasoning: any CD ripped with EAC and encoded with LAME or some other common MP3 encoder, at a given bit rate, would necessarily produce identical files.  Same data processed through same algorithm equals same output.  Math tends to be pretty precise that way.

Downloads would be a crapshoot, I agree.  For the most part if the artist encoded it and offered it on their website, the file’s metadata probably indicates source of origin, and either it was free (so no infringement issues) or it wasn’t (so either there’s already DRM on it or you’d have to have been an idiot to put it up on P2P for others after you bought it, otherwise the file proves itself legally yours).  But you can never be sure the file provided didn’t infringe on some original IP rights-holder further up the chain… I’d hate to tangle with indemnity issues.

My guess is that IF Apple actually cared to help the RIAA in their copyright police crusade, the only people with any real risk would be those who have reams of files tagged by Pirate Bay and “D0wnlo4ded fr0m T0RR3NT_TH13VES.C0M” in the metadata.  And those folks probably ain’t paying the $25 for iTunes Match.  Or so I’d think.

• Posted: 03 April 2012 06:32 AM #10

the new notifications system its awesome