Lion Server now available - 49 bucks.

• Posted: 20 July 2011 02:56 PM

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/os-x-lion-server/id444376097?mt=12

Looks very interesting…

Signature

Posted: 20 July 2011 03:26 PM #1

I don’t fully understand the technical details, but I’ve heard a number of podcasters comment that Lion Server + Mac Mini + Thunderbolt is very significant.

• Posted: 20 July 2011 03:27 PM #2

Drew Bear - 20 July 2011 06:26 PM

I don’t fully understand the technical details, but I’ve heard a number of podcasters comment that Lion Server + Mac Mini + Thunderbolt is very significant.

Well you can get very fast connections to those raid drives now… and the mac mini has some sensible processing power now too.

Signature

Posted: 20 July 2011 03:37 PM #3

Yes, I understand the broad significance. I think some people believe this will ignite substantial Mac Mini sales to small & mid-sized businesses.

• Posted: 20 July 2011 04:56 PM #4

In absence of the Xserve I think the Mac mini with Thunderbolt and Lion does offer a compelling server solution. It costs next to nothing to upgrade to the full server system, and with Thunderbolt the lack of internal expansion option is pretty much a moot point.

Last night I ran into a couple guys who do Mac IT at a local business and they were talking about how much they love the mini as a server. They said somebody asked them what they do about the lack of backup power supply… and their response was that its’s so cheap, they just keep a second server waiting to drop in if anything goes wrong.

Posted: 20 July 2011 05:10 PM #5

It’s too bad the Mac mini didn’t have two Thunderbolt ports. The second port would have allowed it to be daisy chained to produce a cluster. This would have potentially been a great setup for high powered computing centres.

Remember the Virgina Tech Supercomputer? Maybe there’ll be an external device that can act as the Thunderbolt hub and still get the same effect.

Posted: 20 July 2011 06:19 PM #6

David Nelson - 20 July 2011 07:56 PM

In absence of the Xserve I think the Mac mini with Thunderbolt and Lion does offer a compelling server solution. It costs next to nothing to upgrade to the full server system, and with Thunderbolt the lack of internal expansion option is pretty much a moot point.

Last night I ran into a couple guys who do Mac IT at a local business and they were talking about how much they love the mini as a server. They said somebody asked them what they do about the lack of backup power supply… and their response was that its’s so cheap, they just keep a second server waiting to drop in if anything goes wrong.

Also, in 5U of space, on a 19” rack you can mount 13 (vertically on their side), or 16 on a 23” rack. With SSD’s the only moving part would be the fan.  Quite a nice little cluster, IMHO.

Signature

Don’t anthropomorphize computers, they hate that.