Week 30: F.U.D. of the Week

• Posted: 24 July 2011 11:20 AM

NOMINATIONS are now open for F.U.D. (Fouled Up Dope) of week #30.

Posted: 26 July 2011 04:29 PM #1

Slow week thus far for FUD, Batterygate not withstanding (and I reported that last week). I will head over to the reliable Huggington Post and see what FUD I can mop up.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 26 July 2011 04:39 PM #2

Well the week is still prehumpday, but they are working on it

Mac OS X Lion Review: What Roars, What Snores

Sign number one that your big new feature is overthinking things: It requires a video tutorial off-the-bat to be explained.

The first image you see after downloading Lion is a tutorial (screenshot above) of how one scrolls up and down through content. Scrolling on the trackpad goes in the same direction as it does on the iPhone or the iPad; that is, moving your fingers up scrolls the content down, and moving your fingers down scrolls it up. This is, of course, different from the way you scroll on every other operating system in the world, and I still don’t know why it exists.

As someone who uses both a PC and a Mac, I can vouch that this incredibly, incredibly disorienting and annoying—not that you don’t get used to it (you do after a few hours). But when you hop back and forth between computers—whether you own more than one device, or have one for work and one for home, or if you’re just using your friend’s to surf the web for a couple of minutes—this is an awful, needless distraction.

Save yourself the frustration that comes with constantly moving your browser in the wrong direction and disable this pointless, counterintuitive, change-for-the-sake-of-change feature immediately.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/22/mac-os-x-lion-review_n_906579.html

And on a lighter note what is with bringing a goat into an Apple Store? Is he training for BeerFest?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/26/mark-malkoff-discovers-it_n_909937.html

[ Edited: 26 July 2011 04:43 PM by Lee Dronick ]

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 27 July 2011 03:06 AM #3

OK, here’s some FUD for you:

Is Apple Mania Warranted?

Classic “OMG big scary market cap!” and “how can this possibly continue?!” nonsense.

With Apple?s brand power and cash hoard, there may be more room to grow. Of course, if cash-strapped consumers abandon the company?s relatively expensive offerings, shares could decline to a less impressive valuation.

“May be more room to grow”? OMG what stupidity.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 27 July 2011 07:11 AM #4

JDSoCal - 27 July 2011 06:06 AM

OK, here’s some FUD for you:

Is Apple Mania Warranted? .

Nice catch.

With Apple?s brand power and cash hoard, there may be more room to grow.

Well, let’s see.

1) The iPod Touch brought in 2 Billion in revenue in the holiday quarter and it has virtually no competition to speak of.

2) The iPhone grew 142% this past quarter growing twice as fast as the smart phone market (62%) which, itself, has plenty of room to grow. A recent survey indicated that 1 out of 3 smartphone buyers were willing to upgrade to the iPhone 5, sight unseen.

3) Apple sold 9.2 million iPads this past quarter and dominates a category that is expected to grow to sales of 300 million per annum.

4) Mac sales have outgrown PC sales for 21 straight quarters and still only constitute 10% of the overall PC market.

So yeah, I’d say there “may” be more room to grow.

Of course, if cash-strapped consumers abandon the company?s relatively expensive offerings, shares could decline to a less impressive valuation.

You mean the same “cash-strapped consumers” who have been fueling Apple’s double and sometimes triple digit growth throughout the entire recession? Those “cash-strapped consumers”?

You mean the the “relatively expensive offerings” that consumers have found to be so valuable and so superior to their competitors offerings that those consumers are not only readily willing to pay a premium to acquire them, but will stand in line for the privilege of doing so? Those “relatively expensive offerings”?

In other words, if consumers stop consuming top-quality products and decide to trade their hard earned dollars for junk instead of for value, then Apple is in trouble.

Go away Paul Quintaro, you bore me.

[ Edited: 27 July 2011 07:18 AM by FalKirk ]      
  • Posted: 27 July 2011 09:31 AM #5

FalKirk - 27 July 2011 10:11 AM

You mean the same “cash-strapped consumers” who have been fueling Apple’s double and sometimes triple digit growth throughout the entire recession? Those “cash-strapped consumers”?

I’ve been seeing a variation of this argument appearing in various places since earnings. The message appears to be that “Apple’s kit is too expensive” - hello, we’re well past that one, and “people don’t have the money to spend”. Hmmm.

Signature

• Posted: 27 July 2011 10:05 AM #6

Can you believe this one????

http://seekingalpha.com/article/282123-an-investment-in-apple-is-too-risky-for-me?source=yahoo

“I?ve generally not had much interest in Apple (AAPL) as an investment. I have no doubt that it is an extraordinary company. I love its cash loaded balance sheet. And I?m even attracted to its traditional valuation metrics. But I have a couple of issues.
    One is just how big the company has become and the incredible amount of money that it makes.”

Posted: 27 July 2011 01:34 PM #7

Platon - 27 July 2011 01:05 PM

http://seekingalpha.com/article/282123-an-investment-in-apple-is-too-risky-for-me?source=yahoo

“I?ve generally not had much interest in Apple (AAPL) as an investment. I have no doubt that it is an extraordinary company. I love its cash loaded balance sheet. And I?m even attracted to its traditional valuation metrics. But I have a couple of issues.
    One is just how big the company has become and the incredible amount of money that it makes.”

Yes, I much prefer small companies that don’t make money.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 27 July 2011 01:36 PM #8

Platon - 27 July 2011 01:05 PM

Yeah, Apple is big and it makes money. Those are certainly two good reasons not to invest.

• Posted: 27 July 2011 01:48 PM #9

rattyuk - 27 July 2011 12:31 PM
    FalKirk - 27 July 2011 10:11 AM

I’ve been seeing a variation of this argument appearing in various places since earnings. The message appears to be that “Apple’s kit is too expensive” - hello, we’re well past that one, and “people don’t have the money to spend”. Hmmm.

Pundits are obsessed with price. They never discuss value. If price were the be all and end all then we would all own the cheapest goods on the market. Why don’t we? Because price is just one component of value. Purchasing is a constant tug of war between getting the best and paying the least. Apple continually wins that tug of war by giving us products that we value far more than the money we exchange for acquiring them.

The truth is that Apple products ARE cheap. You can’t get anything like them for as little as Apple is charging. That’s why people not only buy Apple products, but they STAND IN LINE to buy Apple’s products.

When people don’t understand something, they never assume that their understanding may be at fault. They prefer to assume that the world around them is irrational. If you don’t understand Apple, don’t blame it on some mystical marketing, of fanatical fan fatalism or some ridiculous reality distortion field. GET EDUCATED. The fault, dear Pundits, lies not in Apple, and not in an irrational world. The fault, dear Pundits, lies within.

• Posted: 31 July 2011 08:01 PM #10

Nominations for F.U.D. of the Week #31 are now open HERE.