AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

• Posted: 29 July 2011 06:42 PM #421

johnG - 29 July 2011 09:31 PM
    Eric Landstrom - 29 July 2011 09:22 PM

I’m going to play government over the weekend by sitting on M80s and lighting the fuse.

Now that’s the sort of government spending I can get behind.  tongue laugh

Bombs and Boobs have bipartisan support so let’s vote on this.

Posted: 29 July 2011 06:59 PM #422

Traders would be interested in this

http://www.wimp.com/algorithmsworld/

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 29 July 2011 07:06 PM #423

Want to shed bitter tears for the intelligence of our collective electorate, no matter which political side they’re on?  Listen to the C-SPAN “call-in and vent” segment now.  Geez, I sure hope a lot of these people aren’t representative of our population.

For crying out loud, information so freely available, and so many still exhibiting how very little they understand about all this.

At the moment, still just fine with not being in call options right now, and mostly out of the market in general.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 29 July 2011 07:29 PM #424

I’m going to play government over the weekend by sitting on M80s and lighting the fuse.

I could support this.

Posted: 29 July 2011 07:55 PM #425

Storing 2 such large bombs in close proximity is inherently dangerous.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 29 July 2011 08:01 PM #426

iOSWeekly - 29 July 2011 10:55 PM

Storing 2 such large bombs in close proximity is inherently dangerous.

Wrong!  Don’t you guys know your munitions?  These are obviously “nesting bombs” designed that way to be transported together.  With regular inspections they are completely safe.

• Posted: 29 July 2011 08:15 PM #427

Now that the House has passed an even more conservative bill than the one the Senate said they will not pass [thanks to the Balanced Budget Amendment], it looks like Reid will take the tactic I mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread: namely, the house bill will be gutted and replaced with new language which would have to pass Senate muster rather quickly.

• Posted: 29 July 2011 08:36 PM #428

ATT is following Verizon’s lead and throttling its unlimited data plan (for mobile devices) for those who are in the upper 5% of usage. I assume they will also be following Verizon’s current bargaining with Apple closely over the issue of 3G FaceTime usage, which Vz wants to make sure doesn’t bring its network down by limiting it to tiered plans only.

Posted: 29 July 2011 08:46 PM #429

Unique - 29 July 2011 11:12 PM

Daily technicals do not look good for AAPL.

OK, please explain.  The RSI has come in to flat, and now well below upper Bollinger.  However a long way dwon to 50 day moving average.  And yeah, long way to go to the next iPhone.  Plus Wall St. goes on vacation in August.

• Posted: 29 July 2011 09:29 PM #430

I sold my common in the AH today.  I think I’ll get another chance to own it after D.C. proves it can’t put together a deal that avoids a credit downgrade. 

If there’s a relief rally, it won’t last, as I don’t think the credit downgrade has been price in yet. 

As far as technicals go, I think the events next week will trump them—to the negative. Too, the lack of any Apple catalyst before iPhone 5 is announced (third to fourth week of August) is likely to produce some good entry points between now and then.

I’m left with straight calls:  Oct 350 / Jan 350 / Jan 380s.  If Congress surprises us—no, SHOCK is a better word—then I’ll still be rooting for ATH.

Posted: 29 July 2011 09:48 PM #431

I’m not seeing any surprises.  IF a deal gets done, it’ll be one of those watered-down ones that one or more of the credit ratings agencies will jump on as being not enough.

What do I know, but be careful, call holders.  My rusty 2 cents, the markets have not priced in a credit downgrade yet.  And even if there was a downgrade by any agency, and Congress immediately scrambled to find a way to get the AAA rating restored (if such a thing is possible), much of the damage would have already been done by the fact that the US’s debt was downgraded for the first time in history AFAIK.

Which pretty much no one reasonable in the world, least of all those of us in the US, wants to happen.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 29 July 2011 11:01 PM #432

Mercel - 30 July 2011 12:29 AM

I sold my common in the AH today.  I think I’ll get another chance to own it after D.C. proves it can’t put together a deal that avoids a credit downgrade. 

If there’s a relief rally, it won’t last, as I don’t think the credit downgrade has been price in yet. 

As far as technicals go, I think the events next week will trump them—to the negative. Too, the lack of any Apple catalyst before iPhone 5 is announced (third to fourth week of August) is likely to produce some good entry points between now and then.

I’m left with straight calls:  Oct 350 / Jan 350 / Jan 380s.  If Congress surprises us—no, SHOCK is a better word—then I’ll still be rooting for ATH.

Isn’t that psychology for you?  Being all cash for two days was too much, so in the AH I just had to at least own 100 shares, just on the off chance of good news, and also I noticed the S&P bounce off its 200 moving day average at 1284, worthy of a small buy in.  First time in almost a year I have owned common.  They never expire worthless!

Posted: 29 July 2011 11:07 PM #433

It’s like GOLD!  LOL  (Sorry, couldn’t help but be reminded of that “has never been worth zero” bit)

Still in mostly cash.  Coulda done quite well had I stayed around until AAPL 403 on my options, but I don’t regret playing it safe.

Even if the worst-case scenario happens (which is probably, some weaksauce bill goes through Congress and signed into law, and one or more credit agencies pounce to downgrade the US on not being fiscally serious/responsible enough or whatever), it won’t be the end of the world.  Things’ll be a little different for sure, but life will more or less go on as before, just more expensively.  Also, I’m pretty sure that if there was a downgrade, the US would go into mega damage control to get the AAA rating restored, though of course that wouldn’t be anywhere near as good as preserving the rating.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 29 July 2011 11:11 PM #434

zulu - 30 July 2011 02:01 AM

Isn’t that psychology for you?  Being all cash for two days was too much, so in the AH I just had to at least own 100 shares, just on the off chance of good news, and also I noticed the S&P bounce off its 200 moving day average at 1284, worthy of a small buy in.  First time in almost a year I have owned common.  They never expire worthless!

As you know, one can’t sell options in AH.  I’m going to redeploy the $ in common into new Leaps.  I had more $ tied up in common than options, and there was nothing today that gave me any optimism to hold for any relief rally on Monday.  Boehner’s plan got a vote by moving further away from acceptable to the Senate, making compromise even more difficult.  This one is going to the wire and Monday isn’t likely to see an up day in the market.

• Posted: 29 July 2011 11:14 PM #435

Mav - 30 July 2011 02:07 AM

It’s like GOLD!  LOL  (Sorry, couldn’t help but be reminded of that “has never been worth zero” bit)

Still in mostly cash.  Coulda done quite well had I stayed around until AAPL 403 on my options, but I don’t regret playing it safe.

Even if the worst-case scenario happens (which is probably, some weaksauce bill goes through Congress and signed into law, and one or more credit agencies pounce to downgrade the US on not being fiscally serious/responsible enough or whatever), it won’t be the end of the world.  Things’ll be a little different for sure, but life will more or less go on as before, just more expensively.  Also, I’m pretty sure that if there was a downgrade, the US would go into mega damage control to get the AAA rating restored, though of course that wouldn’t be anywhere near as good as preserving the rating.

The market will anticipate a rating downgrade well before it happens.  I would like a balanced budget amendment, but it has ZERO chance.  And we won’t get agreement with sufficient cuts and/or revenue enhancement to forestall the inevitable rate cut.