Hello AFB!

• Posted: 25 July 2011 05:44 AM

Sorry for creating a new topic to introduce myself but I didn’t find one for that use. Feel free to move this post to a another topic if you find it more appropriate. I have been following AFB for a few weeks and I really appreciate all the insightful information that users share here. I am really looking forward to participate in the discussions in this forum.

Some information about me:
    - I am a Portuguese 26 years old PhD student in Neuroscience with a MSc in Physics and Engineering (doing science doesn’t pay but I really love what I do)
    - I worked for 2 years as a consultant for a management consulting firm (BCG) after graduating (that’s where I got most of the sum that I have invested) but I quit because I really wanted to work in science and currently I am trying to help uncovering how the brain works
    - I have been an Apple user for 4 years (once converted, you never go back)
    - I have ALL my savings invested in Apple: around 150 shares (started buying at $200 FEB2010 with an average price of $270)

I am really confident in Apple’s growth for the next 3-4 years. I am counting on *at least* an average YoY EPS growth around 50%. I don’t have a model, but I am planning on building one in the upcoming months. 

Currently, I am considering starting to negotiate options to increase my returns, but my knowledge about it is still somewhat limited. I don’t mind using a significant amount of my portfolio (50%) is riskier assets since I am still very young and I don’t plan to retire any time soon.

Really glad that I decided to join this amazing community.

Cheers,
    Tiago

Posted: 25 July 2011 08:56 AM #1

Welcome Diago,

The more geographical diversity and occupational diversity, the better we know the direction of Apple.  Physics and Neuroscience ??  I may be getting a headache now thinking abiut my first year physics.

Keep the stories coming !

• Posted: 25 July 2011 09:32 AM #2

Welcome Tiago. I’m really interested in how the brain works, but I don’t know where to start, especially with new discoveries being made all the time. Perhaps you could recommend some up-to-date reading? Especially about important experimental results.

As for option trading, just remember that the market is irrational and doesn’t always follow fundamentals in the short term. Apple went down from $200 in Nov 2007 to $80 in Jan 2009 for no fundamental reason at all. If you buy and hold shares then fundamentals will eventually prevail again. But if you trade, or hold LEAPs, the market can take everything you have before it acknowledges the correct valuation.

(I lost a great deal in 2008/9)

Posted: 25 July 2011 11:39 AM #3

To other would be first timers, now this is how you join into the discussions.

Tiago, Like Treehouse, you make my head hurt.  LOL  Unlike Sleepy, my hard drive (my brain) is full and I have gotten to a point where I may delete something important.  :bugeyed:  I always like hearing stories about young people who have their act together. You are very similar to Luigi and Adam who have become extremely valuable members of this community.

Welcome and best wishes,

Mark

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 25 July 2011 02:24 PM #4

sleepygeek - 25 July 2011 12:32 PM

... if you trade, or hold LEAPs, the market can take everything you have before it acknowledges the correct valuation.

Market is so human like us :-D.  Like your statement better than similar WB phrase.  I took it that you recover handsomely from 2008/2009 debacle.

Tiago,

Welcome.  Is common knowledge that most new option traders lost their shirts within six months :eg:.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 25 July 2011 02:36 PM #5

Tiago - welcome to the board and great to have some more young blood in these forums.

Also nice to see that you’ve traded in a life of shuffling paper and moving logos around on powerpoint slides (consulting/finance) and moved on to do something worthwhile for humanity.  I only wish I could say the same for myself…

Looking forward to your input in future.

Jonathan

• Posted: 25 July 2011 02:41 PM #6

Tiago - 25 July 2011 08:44 AM

Sorry for creating a new topic to introduce myself but I didn’t find one for that use. Feel free to move this post to a another topic if you find it more appropriate. I have been following AFB for a few weeks and I really appreciate all the insightful information that users share here. I am really looking forward to participate in the discussions in this forum.

- I am a Portuguese 26 years old PhD student in Neuroscience with a MSc in Physics and Engineering (doing science doesn’t pay but I really love what I do)
    - I worked for 2 years as a consultant for a management consulting firm (BCG) after graduating (that’s where I got most of the sum that I have invested) but I quit because I really wanted to work in science and currently I am trying to help uncovering how the brain works
    - I have ALL my savings invested in Apple: around 150 shares (started buying at $200 FEB2010 with an average price of $270)

I am really confident in Apple’s growth for the next 3-4 years. I am counting on *at least* an average YoY EPS growth around 50%. I don’t have a model, but I am planning on building one in the upcoming months. 

Currently, I am considering starting to negotiate options to increase my returns, but my knowledge about it is still somewhat limited. I don’t mind using a significant amount of my portfolio (50%) is riskier assets since I am still very young and I don’t plan to retire any time soon.

Cheers,
    Tiago

Welcome Tiago! I share very similar background as you. Bachelors in Engineering, and now pursuing PhD in biophysics. I started investing in options starting jan this year. So far apple has given me some really nice profits. I exited some of my positions today (posted it in the option strategy thread). The best thing I can tell you to look for is posts by blaze biscuits, ilovemyipad and other knowledgable members in the ‘Option strategy’ thread. There is some stuff in ‘Other stocks’ as well. Tons to be learnt from the posts in there. I’m sure you already know about all the factors that account for option pricing, the greeks and how everything works together.

Posted: 25 July 2011 02:59 PM #7

Welcome Tiago, fellow physics graduate here (undergraduate only…) There must be a correlation between all the physics/engineering people around here and AAPL investing? Maybe because how logically and orderly they run their business (“We want to make the best products, period”) that appeals to the analytic side of the mind. Ironic, then, since Apple is run by designers and dreamers!

Or, maybe we’re just all here because we realize it’s the best investment opportunity of a generation. wink

As for options, when I started, I lost WAY more than I won.  Usually it was me trying to pick directions within a short time frame.  Once I backed away and let AAPL’s fundamentals rule, I stuck to almost exclusively buying LEAPS, and have thus far been rewarded richly.

Read the Options thread, and start small. Luckily guys like you and me (and Adam, Roman, Unique, et. al) have a lot of time to make up for mistakes!

• Posted: 25 July 2011 04:54 PM #8

Welcome Tiago.  I think it’s a great idea to introduce ourselves as I would love to hear everyone else’s background as well.  Here is mine:

I’m a 32-year old husband and father of 3.  I’m a Captain in the Army stationed in Iraq, will be moving to Afghan soon.  I’m a Blackhawk pilot and love my job, but there’s no money in it (like science I guess).  Undergrad in Information Systtems and just recently finished my MBA. 

-My first computer was a Commodore 64, first Mac was a Mac Plus. 

-Started buying shares at around $93 per share, prior to the release of the first iPhone. 

-Got introduced to the options game a couple of years ago and haven’t looked back. 

Would love to hear more about you all.

• Posted: 25 July 2011 06:52 PM #9

Tiago - 25 July 2011 08:44 AM

Cheers,
    Tiago

Tiago, Welcome.

Please let me know when you figure out the human brain.  Mine doesn’t work like everybody else’s, and thats a problem.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 25 July 2011 09:12 PM #10

Mikedmvp - 25 July 2011 07:54 PM

Welcome Tiago.  I think it’s a great idea to introduce ourselves as I would love to hear everyone else’s background as well.  Here is mine:

I’m a 32-year old husband and father of 3.  I’m a Captain in the Army stationed in Iraq, will be moving to Afghan soon.  I’m a Blackhawk pilot and love my job, but there’s no money in it (like science I guess).  Undergrad in Information Systtems and just recently finished my MBA. 

-My first computer was a Commodore 64, first Mac was a Mac Plus. 

-Started buying shares at around $93 per share, prior to the release of the first iPhone. 

-Got introduced to the options game a couple of years ago and haven’t looked back. 

Would love to hear more about you all.

Mike, man, you have no idea how jealous I am of what you do. FTR, you can’t put a price on what you do. Financial reward is great, but protecting this country priceless. Thanks so much for your service and swing by my house one day and take me for a ride.  :-D

I am going to have to search for the thread, but DT started one a while back that may of us described ourselves. I am guessing we will be calling you Major pretty soon.

Mark

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 25 July 2011 11:59 PM #11

Treehouse - 25 July 2011 11:56 AM

Welcome Diago,

The more geographical diversity and occupational diversity, the better we know the direction of Apple.  Physics and Neuroscience ??  I may be getting a headache now thinking abiut my first year physics.

Keep the stories coming !

Welcome, Tiago. I want to second the remarks, above. I can’t help but view things from a U.S.-centric point of view. If you read something that doesn’t jive with the way things are or are viewed from your country or your point of view, please chime in. We’ll all be better off for it.

Again, welcome and good fortune to you.

Posted: 26 July 2011 01:21 AM #12

Welcome Tiago

Be very careful with Options. They are great wealth creators/destroyers! 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

cheers to the longs
      JohnG

Posted: 26 July 2011 02:18 AM #13

Welcome Tiago. i just joined this board this year and you will find no other place that knows the ins and outs of Apple better than here.
    You will find that the folks on this board make a lot more sense than most “analysts”.
    Have fun its good time to be an Apple investor.

• Posted: 26 July 2011 09:47 AM #14

Hello All!

I thought this would be as good of place as any to briefly introduce myself to the board. I have been following (lurking) the AFB for just under a year now and finally decided to join. I have a background in basic Networking and PC repairs as well as History and International Affairs. I’m a young investor (finishing college) who is just ENTHRALLED in AAPL and their amazing business model and success. I’ve been investing since high school and following AAPL since one of my friends told me “the iphone is gonna change everything” but haven’t been completely converted until recently. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts, learning, and participating as well.

• Posted: 26 July 2011 12:11 PM #15

ChallengerDeep - 26 July 2011 12:47 PM

Hello All!

I thought this would be as good of place as any to briefly introduce myself to the board. I have been following (lurking) the AFB for just under a year now and finally decided to join. I have a background in basic Networking and PC repairs as well as History and International Affairs. I’m a young investor (finishing college) who is just ENTHRALLED in AAPL and their amazing business model and success. I’ve been investing since high school and following AAPL since one of my friends told me “the iphone is gonna change everything” but haven’t been completely converted until recently. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts, learning, and participating as well.

Welcome.

With your background, I’m sure you have insights that could all profit from. I look forward to reading your future contributions to the AFB.