HTC Wants To Talk With Apple

Posted: 07 September 2011 06:35 PM #16

HTC Sues Apple: Moto-Goog Patent Backlash Starts

The patents at issue that were held by Motorola Mobility (MMI), and are among nine patents that originated with Moto, Palm, which was later bought by Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), and OpenWave Systems (OPWV), all of which patents were acquired by Google (GOOG) in the last year, write Milford and Decker.

The patents…were transferred to HTC by Google on September 1st, according to documents with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2011/09/07/htc-sues-apple-moto-goog-patent-backlash-starts/?mod=yahoobarrons

Does this mean Google no longer has the rights to the patents? Or can they simply “transfer” patents to all of their hardware partners? Is Apple already being sued for these patents by MMI or OpenWave?

• Posted: 07 September 2011 06:43 PM #17

Drew Bear - 07 September 2011 09:35 PM

HTC Sues Apple: Moto-Goog Patent Backlash Starts

The patents at issue that were held by Motorola Mobility (MMI), and are among nine patents that originated with Moto, Palm, which was later bought by Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), and OpenWave Systems (OPWV), all of which patents were acquired by Google (GOOG) in the last year, write Milford and Decker.

The patents…were transferred to HTC by Google on September 1st, according to documents with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2011/09/07/htc-sues-apple-moto-goog-patent-backlash-starts/?mod=yahoobarrons

Does this mean Google no longer has the rights to the patents? Or can they simply “transfer” patents to all of their hardware partners? Is Apple already being sued for these patents by MMI or OpenWave?

Given what’s going on with the Oracle/Android suit I’d say thank you NO to google and pass the liability back to them.  But that’s just me.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 07 September 2011 07:21 PM #18

>>Let?s not forget that Apple is not required to negotiate or settle with HTC, but has the nuclear option of demanding HTC not sell handsets in the US, and this is what is scaring HTC.

Sounds like Google just “proliferated” some nukes to HTC…we don’t know the strength of those yet…soon to find out.

Posted: 07 September 2011 09:49 PM #19

FOSS patents clarifies the situation:
    sold and assigned to HTC

iphoned is correct. Google is an arms dealer.

Posted: 07 September 2011 10:07 PM #20

The situation gets more bizarre by the day.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 08 September 2011 03:45 AM #21

This has bad odor all over it.  I hope the white-hat guys will find a way to deal with the skunks.

Posted: 08 September 2011 04:16 AM #22

Y’know, I guess there wouldn’t be anything wrong with Oracle selling a few patents to Apple… raspberry

(Kidding, and of course Apple has its own IP, but had Oracle not been suing Google at the moment it coulda happened!)

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 08 September 2011 07:05 AM #23

Moons ago many think that competitors to iPhone are RIMM, Nokia and ...  I mentioned HTC, an unknown to Americans then though well known in Asia Pacific.  HTC is a competent follower, what they lack is a visionary at the top.  If one day they have that visionary, and with a Jobless Apple, I may need to find a way to invest in HTC to hedge my bet.

Should Apple consider licensing iOS?  So far, only the dock is licensed.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 08 September 2011 09:51 AM #24

Drew Bear - 08 September 2011 12:49 AM

FOSS patents clarifies the situation:
    sold and assigned to HTC

iphoned is correct. Google is an arms dealer.

The first of the five patents FOSS discusses—“zoomed display of characters entered from a telephone keypad”—is not likely applicable because iPhones don’t zoom the characters when dialing the device as a telephone. They only zoom the characters for computer-related input from a QWERTY (or equivalent) keyboard.

Alan

• Posted: 08 September 2011 10:01 AM #25

Maybe Apple buys the patents from HTC for a few billion, as part of a licensing deal that cuts out other Android OEMs. Simultaneously protecting HTC’s future as a contender, and probably taking Google out of the phone business. Winners: Apple, HTC, Nokia. Wounded: all other Android licensees. Loser: Google/Moto.

Posted: 08 September 2011 05:13 PM #26

What are the odds of a injunction against iphone sales from the HTC lawsuit?

It has to be considered a possibility, seeing as it was so easy for apple to get samsung sales stopped in various countries around the world, doesn’t it?

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 10 September 2011 05:27 PM #27

I just want to mention that if you go back into archives on AFB and TMO, you’ll find me saying that Google would rent its patents to its licensees. On AFB, I was met with a constant refrain of “Google is evil and doesn’t care about its licensees, etc.”

I maintain my position that Google is very well aware of what it needs to do to protect its ecosystem and keep all the players interested in staying the course. They know how the Motorola purchase looks on the surface, and will definitely be extra careful so as not to alienate market partners. They all know who their real enemy is. These patent assignment exercises will show that its in all their interests to continue to cooperate.

This isn’t to brag that I was right. But I think a lot of you could use a better fundamental understanding of how Google does business and the advantages and disadvantages versus how Apple plays.

Posted: 10 September 2011 11:03 PM #28

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 10 September 2011 08:27 PM

I just want to mention that if you go back into archives on AFB and TMO, you’ll find me saying that Google would rent its patents to its licensees. On AFB, I was met with a constant refrain of “Google is evil and doesn’t care about its licensees, etc.”

I maintain my position that Google is very well aware of what it needs to do to protect its ecosystem and keep all the players interested in staying the course. They know how the Motorola purchase looks on the surface, and will definitely be extra careful so as not to alienate market partners. They all know who their real enemy is. These patent assignment exercises will show that its in all their interests to continue to cooperate.

This isn’t to brag that I was right. But I think a lot of you could use a better fundamental understanding of how Google does business and the advantages and disadvantages versus how Apple plays.

Tell me how that is working for all the android manufacturers being sued by Microsoft.  How many have paid Microsoft to be able to continue to use Android.  Google sold a couple patents to HTC, I doubt that helped Samsung who just had their Galaxy Tab banned in Australia and Germany.  I think Google is losing their focus.  They realize that mobile is very important and so they build an OS that steps all over other’s IP and the manufacturers who support Android to try and copy Apple’s multitouch designs are now going through the court process to prove they copied Apple’s IP which made the design unique.  Apple is in the driver seat and Google is running scared.  Apple is defending their IP and Google is buying others IP and selling it to try to scare Apple into a settlement.  If Apple decides to go nuclear they just bought patents from Freescale Semi, Novel, & Nortel, but Apple isn’t using those so Google may think they have provided HTC with protection but it’s like an armored humvee against an A-10 with it’s 30MM depleted uranium round.  The love affair all the manufactures had with Android is heading toward an ugly divorce.

Posted: 10 September 2011 11:22 PM #29

Couldn’t help myself.  :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfThQygJ_2o

I just find it funny that Google claims it innovates. rolleyes

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 11 September 2011 01:12 AM #30

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 10 September 2011 08:27 PM

I maintain my position that Google is very well aware of what it needs to do to protect its ecosystem and keep all the players interested in staying the course. They know how the Motorola purchase looks on the surface, and will definitely be extra careful so as not to alienate market partners.

Google just paid 12.5 billion to acquire Motorola. That’s hardly “protect(ing) its ecosystem”. On the contrary, that move is already separating Android from its manufacturers. No one who’s paying attention and being honest with themselves believes for one second that Google will not favor the acquired Motorola, least of all Google’s supposed partners. They are already taking steps to distance themselves from Android by pursuing other options with Bada, Microsoft, etc.

Google cares about its licensees? (What licensees? I thought Android was open?) Hardly. let’s revisit this question in one and two years and see how many current manufacturers have dropped Android from their lineup.