HTC Wants To Talk With Apple

Posted: 11 September 2011 01:17 AM #31

FalKirk - 11 September 2011 04:12 AM
    Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 10 September 2011 08:27 PM

I just want to mention that if you go back into archives on AFB and TMO, you’ll find me saying that Google would rent its patents to its licensees. On AFB, I was met with a constant refrain of “Google is evil and doesn’t care about its licensees, etc.”

I maintain my position that Google is very well aware of what it needs to do to protect its ecosystem and keep all the players interested in staying the course. They know how the Motorola purchase looks on the surface, and will definitely be extra careful so as not to alienate market partners.

Google just paid 12.5 billion to acquire Motorola. That’s hardly “protect(ing) its ecosystem”. On the contrary, that move is already separating Android from its manufacturers. No one who’s paying attention and being honest with themselves believes for one second that Google will not favor the acquired Motorola, least of all Google’s supposed partners. They are already taking steps to distance themselves from Android by pursuing other options with Bada, Microsoft, etc.

Google cares about its licensees? (What licensees? I thought Android was open?) Hardly. let’s revisit this question in one and two years and see how many current manufacturers have dropped Android from their lineup.

Of course, Google is already favoring Moto:

Google plotted to give Motorola early advantage over other Android licensees

Google is protecting its ecosystem like BP protected the Gulf’s ecosystem.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 11 September 2011 01:34 AM #32

FalKirk - 11 September 2011 04:12 AM
    Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 10 September 2011 08:27 PM

I just want to mention that if you go back into archives on AFB and TMO, you’ll find me saying that Google would rent its patents to its licensees. On AFB, I was met with a constant refrain of “Google is evil and doesn’t care about its licensees, etc.”

I maintain my position that Google is very well aware of what it needs to do to protect its ecosystem and keep all the players interested in staying the course. They know how the Motorola purchase looks on the surface, and will definitely be extra careful so as not to alienate market partners.

Google just paid 12.5 billion to acquire Motorola. That’s hardly “protect(ing) its ecosystem”. On the contrary, that move is already separating Android from its manufacturers. No one who’s paying attention and being honest with themselves believes for one second that Google will not favor the acquired Motorola, least of all Google’s supposed partners. They are already taking steps to distance themselves from Android by pursuing other options with Bada, Microsoft, etc.

Google cares about its licensees? (What licensees? I thought Android was open?) Hardly. let’s revisit this question in one and two years and see how many current manufacturers have dropped Android from their lineup.

+1.  Except I give it only 6 -12 months to observe the unraveling occur.

• Posted: 11 September 2011 01:36 AM #33

This isn?t to brag that I was right. But I think a lot of you could use a better fundamental understanding of how Google does business and the advantages and disadvantages versus how Apple plays.

Not much to understand really.  After a great beginning Google is now the worlds’s most innovative company for IP property theft. Pretty soon they will find out what that is going to cost them, starting with a loss to Oracle re Java.  Strange outfit to be admiring, but each to their own I guess.

I will reserve my respect for companies like Apple who profit from original thought, rather than from copying and theft.  I find it very odd that the super geeks worship at the feet Google, given their lack of respect for the IP of others.  And before you conclude that this is just about Apple, find a few authors and ask them how they feel about having their books digitized without their permission.