OT and yet kinda on-topic - posting on TMO via iPhone 4 experiences?

Posted: 01 August 2011 04:15 AM

Y’know, I’ve tried 3G and Wi-Fi and restarting my iPhone 4 and at the end of the day, the TMO forums really do seem a lot “slower” than before.  Don’t get me started on Fast Reply, because it’s anything but fast.  Typing is frequently unacceptably slow (type a word, a few seconds later all the keys you typed pop up at once), and trying to zoom out when MobileSafari unhelpfully “corrects” the zoom for you, which slows things down - the lack of response is just terrible.

Long story short, I can’t really do anything other than browse the forums on my iPhone, especially if I have other apps in the “background”.

iPhone 4 owners, what’s your experience?

[ Edited: 01 August 2011 09:44 AM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 01 August 2011 09:46 AM #1

I believe the problem is 1. advertising and 2. character counting.  In the “post reply”, the characters are counted.  Have you tried “fast reply” ?

You might also try Opera or iCab as your mobile browser and go into the dungeons (preferences).

iCab http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/icab-mobile-web-browser/id308111628?mt=8

Opera http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/opera-mini-web-browser/id363729560?mt=8

Posted: 01 August 2011 11:01 AM #2

Posting from the iPhone will test your patience.  The echo for key strokes is slow and if you try to link Too much, you lose your input

• Posted: 01 August 2011 12:54 PM #3

A workaround:

type your reply in another app (text editor type, or even in Mail) and cop/paste it into the reply window on TMO. This at least will allow you to get a flow of thoughts on the “page” without having to wait for the slow screen updates.

• Posted: 01 August 2011 02:42 PM #4

willrob - 01 August 2011 03:54 PM

A workaround:

type your reply in another app (text editor type, or even in Mail) and cop/paste it into the reply window on TMO. This at least will allow you to get a flow of thoughts on the “page” without having to wait for the slow screen updates.

Why should we need a work-around on an Apple centric site?  It’s time for either an App or a “mobile site”.  Well actually it’s way past time.

Posted: 01 August 2011 02:49 PM #5

Anyone know a way to get to the lower part of a long post when editing?  Can’t do it with iPad.  You only have access to what fits in the box.

Posted: 01 August 2011 03:18 PM #6

jimlongo - 01 August 2011 05:49 PM

Anyone know a way to get to the lower part of a long post when editing?  Can’t do it with iPad.  You only have access to what fits in the box.

Two finger scrolling will scroll a text input box.

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

• Posted: 01 August 2011 03:38 PM #7

I gave up on even reading AFB posts on my iPhone long ago. I found it too tedious and the formatting too hard on my old eyes.

Posted: 01 August 2011 04:40 PM #8

adamthompson3232 - 01 August 2011 01:41 PM

TMO is the slowest site of any site of any site I’ve visited via iPhone 4. And I visit TMO quite often from my iPhone 4. Fast reply is horrible.

I guess a precision topic about iPhone 4 and the forums was the trick I needed to get responses.

So I’m hardly alone in my irritation after all.  TMO Web Management, we’d appreciate anything you can do to help us out here.  I mean, the future is mobile after all, and we shouldn’t need a dual-core smartphone to brute-force our way to respectable performance.  Really, it wasn’t too bad before the changes, so a “return to the old ways” might help.  Thanks!

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 01 August 2011 04:42 PM #9

FalKirk - 01 August 2011 06:38 PM

I gave up on even reading AFB posts on my iPhone long ago. I found it too tedious and the formatting too hard on my old eyes.

Fal - you need a Retina Display.  That radically changes the experience.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 01 August 2011 04:44 PM #10

Mav - 01 August 2011 07:42 PM

Fal - you need a Retina Display.  That radically changes the experience.

You are so right. I can’t wait for the iPhone 5 to arrive - whenever it finally arrives.

Posted: 01 August 2011 07:52 PM #11

Fast reply from my Nexus One running Gingerbread from Google. Pretty zippy.

Posted: 01 August 2011 08:38 PM #12

Why is that interesting? And why do you think “used to be”? Developing software for any platform doesn’t require that you throw your standards and principles under the bus, accept a giant dick sandwich from a platform vendor, and vow to be true to some silly religion or participate in some commercial crusade. I’ve been in business long enough to have learned several times over that when you do that (especially with Apple or Steve Jobs involved), you eventually get lit up. The optimal strategy is to serve multiple platforms when you can, and don’t give any vendor the rope to hang you.

Posted: 01 August 2011 09:11 PM #13

Mav - 01 August 2011 07:15 AM

Y’know, I’ve tried 3G and Wi-Fi and restarting my iPhone 4 and at the end of the day, the TMO forums really do seem a lot “slower” than before.  Don’t get me started on Fast Reply, because it’s anything but fast.  Typing is frequently unacceptably slow (type a word, a few seconds later all the keys you typed pop up at once), and trying to zoom out when MobileSafari unhelpfully “corrects” the zoom for you, which slows things down - the lack of response is just terrible.

Long story short, I can’t really do anything other than browse the forums on my iPhone, especially if I have other apps in the “background”.

iPhone 4 owners, what’s your experience?

This site is unusable for mobil devices. Ironic since the site owner redesigned so as to better accommodate mobil devices. Perhaps he should run for office?

I did suggest that the AFB board buy him out but nobody made any other comments about that.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.