Installing Snow Leopard As A VM On Lion

• Posted: 04 August 2011 02:35 PM

On Snow Leopard I use Citrix Access Gateway 2.0.1 to dial into my work computer. It’s not that often that I need to do so (when I carry the weekend pager) and this is the only thing holding me back from updating to Lion. I was looking at how to install Snow Leopard as a virtual machine, but what I’ve found online so far, seems to be older versions of the developer version. Now that Lion is out I was hoping a better and easier way was available to install SL as a VM.

Does anyone know of a way? Citrix is working on updating Access Gateway, but no ETA has been stated. Thanks!

• Posted: 21 August 2011 09:00 AM #1

I’ve installed Virtual Box and created a VM for Snow Leopard. I was able to start the installation, but when I reached the point where it asks where I want to install SL it doesn’t list any target drives. During the VM setup I created a virtual image of 20 gig, but that wasn’t listed. I’m not familiar with virtual machines, so any help would be appreciated.

I’m using the SL install disk that came with my MBP. Thanks!

• Posted: 23 August 2011 03:28 AM #2

Why is it always the simple things that I miss? I went into disk utility on the VM and erased the VM drive and created a partition and then the VM recognized it. Unfortunately around midway through the Snow Leopard install it hung on me.

Posted: 28 August 2011 09:21 PM #3

Please keep us posted on whether you have any success. I have friends who won’t upgrade to Lion because they can’t let go of their Palms (odd image!) with the dropping of Rosetta.

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

• Posted: 29 August 2011 12:24 AM #4

The installation ran for around half an hour before it hung up and I had to close out the VM. I decided to research it a bit more before trying again, to see if I was doing something wrong. During this time Citrix came out with a new version of their Access Gateway that works with Lion, allowing me to dial into my work computer. Since this was the only reason I was attempting a VM, I never went back and tried to fix the VM since I can now connect using Citrix.

While I highly doubt I’ll try again since I don’t need it anymore, I will say from what I’ve found online others claim to have setup a Snow Leopard VM using the client install disk.

• Posted: 10 October 2011 06:39 PM #5

Methos - 23 August 2011 06:28 AM

Why is it always the simple things that I miss? I went into disk utility on the VM and erased the VM drive and created a partition and then the VM recognized it. Unfortunately around midway through the Snow Leopard install it hung on me.

Hmmm, there doesn’t seem to be any way to partition the disk in Disk Utility. It doesn’t recognize the .vdi file as a disk. I tried changing the extension to .dmg and it recognized that, so I could erase it, but not partition it. I tried installing Snow Leopard, but nothing happens when the virtual disk is activated. I am using Lion OSX 10.7.1. Any helpful suggestions?