Is the public finally growing tired of Android?

• Posted: 23 July 2012 04:57 PM #61

Mav - 24 May 2012 06:14 AM

Well, Apple products DO sell themselves.  And at least he’d be a sales guy in a sales position, if you know what I mean.

He’s not in an impossible situation.  But he’s already confessed to having a number of disadvantages from the word go.

He’s just lowering expectations so that he can exceed them.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 23 July 2012 04:59 PM #62

adamthompson32 - 07 June 2012 03:55 PM
    Drew Bear - 07 June 2012 03:37 PM

Nearly 1 of 4 iPhone buyers are upgrading from an Android phone.

Need to see how many Android buyers are “upgrading” from an iPhone to put this number in context. I suspect it’s far less than 25% but I don’t really know.

With a 93% retention rate, the number moving from iPhone to any other platform is going to be near 0.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 23 July 2012 05:01 PM #63

At the Close…Nice $16 rebound from this mornings intraday low.  Volume up nearly 28%.

Signature

Posted: 30 July 2012 02:31 PM #64

U.S. only, but this occurred during a relatively weak quarter for iPhone sales.

Apple smartphone share rises, Android falls

A new report released on Monday by Strategy Analytics shows that Apple?s U.S. smartphone market share is on the rise, while Android declined in the second quarter of 2012.

Apple?s market share rose significantly, rising 10 percent from 23 percent to 33 percent, when compared to the second quarter of 2011. Android?s share fell 4 percent to 56 percent.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/07/30/apple-smartphone-share-rises-android-falls/

• Posted: 31 July 2012 10:54 AM #65

1) Price matters more in third world countries. Those who can’t afford an iPhone don’t buy it. But the iPhone is still aspirational - it’s what people do buy if they can afford to buy it.

2) Distribution matters. Apple is on about 250 carriers. Android is on about 550. Apple has extended their distribution in the U.S. and it’s starting to show. Also, not all carriers are created equal. If Apple can finally get on China Mobile, that is one big whale as opposed to a whole lot of little minnows.

3) Market maturity matters. Almost half of the U.S. population has smartphones. Soon we’ll be at the point where smartphones aren’t competing against feature and dumb phones but will have to compete against one another. Apple - with it’s high satisfaction ratings and it’s “sticky” iCloud ecosystem has a huge advantage - has a huge advantage at that stage of the fight.

• Posted: 31 July 2012 09:08 PM #66

So “tired” that Samsung alone apparently outsold iPhone by a wide margin?

• Posted: 31 July 2012 09:42 PM #67

iphoned - 01 August 2012 12:08 AM

So “tired” that Samsung alone apparently outsold iPhone by a wide margin?

Your statement is ironic, because when it comes to Android, Samsung truly stands alone - as in they alone are the only Android manufacturer having any success at all. Samsung isn’t the leading Android manufacturer - they’re virtually the ONLY Android manufacturer.

Don’t confuse sales with popularity. Cheap prices may engender more sales, but that does not mean than the merchandise purchased K-Mart is more “popular”. I eat bologna but I prefer steak.

Despite the iPhone’s lower than expected sales this past quarter, it still gained ground on Android in the U.S. Android will continue to prosper where it is the only alternative. But where the iPhone goes, the iPhone dominates. Look for Apple to rapidly gain ground on Android now that the iPhone is on almost all the major carriers.

Posted: 03 August 2012 09:09 AM #68

Not sure where to post, thought this interesting.

AT&T to use iPads

Apparantly AT&T is going to use iPads to replace their cash registers.

Signature

Waiting to be included in one of Apple’s target markets, but I still own an iPod, iPhone and iMac and APPL stock.

Posted: 03 August 2012 09:50 AM #69

It almost seems that ATT is willing to go cashless in its stores.

• Posted: 03 August 2012 10:31 AM #70

rickag - 03 August 2012 12:09 PM

...thought this interesting.

AT&T to use iPads

Welcome to the future of retail.

Posted: 03 August 2012 09:34 PM #71

FalKirk - 03 August 2012 01:31 PM
    rickag - 03 August 2012 12:09 PM

...thought this interesting.

AT&T to use iPads

Welcome to the future of retail.

Wonder what ATT’S reward card will do in passbook.  Will it include a countdown timer until your next subsidized upgrade?

• Posted: 07 August 2012 11:49 PM #72

I had a 1st gen iphone then got a Droid X and will be returning to the iphone next release…android is ok and I really like being able to swap my battery and the 4 buttons are great.  I’m switching to the iphone because the apps seem to work better and the icloud is appealing to me.

Posted: 09 August 2012 01:50 PM #73

Samsung sells twice as many smartphones as Apple, but…

Samsung still lags far behind Apple when it comes to usage share of the mobile Web, with only 0.24 impressions per one iPhone impression seen over our network, but its suite of phones remain the iPhone?s closest challenger for the coveted top spot.

http://insights.chitika.com/2012/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-study/

Posted: 13 August 2012 01:00 PM #74

Horace sheds some light on possibly why Android usage share numbers don’t match its market share numbers.

Of the 104 million Android phones shipped in the quarter (itself an estimate from another, possibly different methodology), I could only account for 7 million actually reported. That figure comes from a close reading of an investor presentation from Sony. HTC does not report their shipment numbers. It stopped some time late last year. Neither does Motorola now that it?s a part of Google. Huawei is silent except for setting targets and ZTE published a press release citing IDC?s estimate of its own shipments.

...But most glaring of all is the absence of any mention by Samsung of its performance. The company stopped reporting any data on either overall phone shipments or of smartphones within that total since Q3 2011.

...Consider how difficult it is for consensus estimates for Apple?s iPhone shipments to come near the actuals?and that?s for one quarter, and knowing all the previous quarters with precision. The absence of visibility into the assumptions made by market analysts (or their methods) should lower confidence in the results.

Consider that IDC specifies 50.2 million Samsung smartphones, implying an accuracy down to 100,000 units. Is this accuracy believable?

http://www.asymco.com/2012/08/13/how-many-smartphones-did-samsung-ship-in-q2/

Gruber, commenting on PED’s article, was more succinct. The basis for both Horace’s and PED’s articles are the Samsung sales figures released during the trial.

Philip Elmer-DeWitt:

The discrepancy in the estimates of independent market researchers is even greater…If Samsung really sold 2.4 million tablets last quarter, as IDC estimates, 1.5% were sold in the U.S. and 98.5% overseas. That?s pretty hard to believe.

IDC has some explaining to do.

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/08/10/samsung-tablets

• Posted: 10 September 2012 06:38 PM #75

What of the latest PED article re: Android? Are we heads in the sand or hoping iPhone 5 cures all ills?