AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 10 August 2011 07:44 PM #106

lovemyipad - 10 August 2011 08:24 PM
    caruso2323 - 10 August 2011 08:11 PM

and get yourself a more representative nickname arshole !

NOT NECESSARY!!!  NOT, NOT, NOT!!! :(

+1

Civility and respect to all, please

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 10 August 2011 07:54 PM #107

lovemyipad - 10 August 2011 10:44 PM

I always thought “intraday” meant “trading,” whether day trading or position trading, because when I was exclusively buy-and-hold (most of my adult life), I never monitored intraday marketplace happenings…or I would have slit my wrists! :D

That said, I don’t mind limiting my trading posts to the “Day Trading” and “Options” threads if that’s more appropriate and conducive.  It’s more important to me to see the positive AFB atmosphere continue, despite the few bumps along the way.

I really like our community here—the collective wisdom is inspiring, and I’m constantly learning new things and gaining new perspectives! smile

I use the intraday as the pulse, the barometer, the temperature of the moment. News, opinion insight in real time.Gets silly at night in decompression mode.

Fevers occur, and we need to recognize that people are not always thinking about a word or phrase in the heat of the moment. But if repeated, it’s out of bounds. Many have warned of coming lower prices the past and been correct….it is all part of the intraday soup.

Signature

Posted: 10 August 2011 07:55 PM #108

Zeke - 10 August 2011 09:51 PM
    lovemyipad - 10 August 2011 08:29 PM
    adamthompson3232 - 10 August 2011 04:37 AM

Yup. That counts. You, Unique, Eric, Nuts, and some others post some incredibly interesting intra day info so thank you for that.

Wish I had time to learn what I need to know and day trade but I realize that could take years so I’ll just stick to occasional trades, the vast majority of which are AAPL related.

Thanks, AT!!!

Well, I am confident you would make an EXCELLENT day trader, and a fast study, so whenever you’re ready… smile

I really like your posts.  Interesting stuff.  You and Nuts and some others here are contributing great stuff.  Me, I’m just a “long” for now.  My days are too busy for the necessary short term analysis for day trading.  My accounts are IRAs anyway, so it’s nearly impossible to be a day trader.  After I retire this year and convert my accounts I’ll be doing some trading.

Aw, thanks, Zeke!!!  That means a lot coming from you because I really like your posts, too!!! smile

Hey, I trade almost exclusively in my husband’s and my IRAs because I don’t want to deal with tax/trading complications.  (Our non-retirement accounts are exclusively buy-and-hold.)  The “pattern day trader” day trading requirements are the same in the IRA: You just need to keep 25K in cash at all times and only trade with settled cash.

Trading in IRAs does put me on the “very risk averse” end of the trading spectrum.  If I wipe out my account, it’s not like I can transfer/deposit more cash. :D

[ Edited: 10 August 2011 07:58 PM by lovemyipad ]      
  • Posted: 10 August 2011 07:58 PM #109

That said, I don’t mind limiting my trading posts to the “Day Trading” and “Options” threads if that’s more appropriate and conducive.  It’s more important to me to see the positive AFB atmosphere continue, despite the few bumps along the way.

No, no, no…

I like the daily thread just as it is and I’m a permabull, cast-in-concrete “long”.  I have bumped into Caruso and some others that post here lately some time ago on Google finance or Yahoo Finance and that forum was a zoo with about 50% trolls.  Caruso and others can be dealt with and educated.  Let’s not screw up a good thing.

Posted: 10 August 2011 08:18 PM #110

doubledraw - 10 August 2011 09:11 PM
    lovemyipad - 10 August 2011 09:05 PM
    BrazilNuts - 10 August 2011 12:16 PM

Did we set a short term bottom? Probably a low, but the playbook, if it still readable would call for a W shaped action. We are still very oversold and should stay this way for many days more. As this state vanes, we could make the other leg down of the W.

Oh!  I wish I’d read this in the AM!  Nuts, well done, as always! smile

any chance of translating this into layspeak?

Was he talking about the first down part of the W being the time period before Tuesday, then Tuesday being the first up portion, then a down (end of the day today into tomorrow and beyond?) followed by a massive upswing (hopefully sooner than later)?

Still learning here and trying to understand what ppl like BrazilNuts (whose opinion I respect) are saying.  Thanks in advance.

Sorry, will try to explain what meant. The market is in turmoil, insisted this on previous posts. The downgrade by S&P, which believe was a stupid, unnecessary move at this point, opened a Pandora box. Movements like yesterday and today remind of periods were the tomorrow was unfathomable, such as what we saw in 2008.

This morning, the view was close to what you understood, however recent events made the playbook unreadable. the leg down should be happening as we became overbought or less oversold than we are now, deeply oversold. The fact of the matter is, investor confidence has eroded and days like this just make matters worse.

The last hour leg down was creepy and the drop does not look human. Way too many machines around, and when they stop buying all at once, retail investors don?t react as fast.

Don?t know if we get a relief rally or another oversold bounce tomorrow. Just know many people are just giving up in disgust. Bear markets are like this. We are in a downtrend, what could have happened yesterday happened today. The last leg up looked as fake as today?s last leg down.

W, downside, upside, downside and upside. We should have experienced (or we shall) a nice rally of many days. No market goes straight up or down. Let?s watch if tomorrow gives us some more clues if we have a low for the short term or there is much more pain to come. Meaning less pain or more pain, with periods of joy. (de Sade? “It is always by way of pain one arrives at pleasure.”)

Just for the records, extreme caution, stops in place and/or hedge.

If still not clear, please let me know.

Posted: 10 August 2011 08:29 PM #111

caruso2323 - 10 August 2011 11:05 PM
    DawnTreader - 10 August 2011 10:13 PM
    caruso2323 - 10 August 2011 08:36 PM
    pasdeniaisage - 10 August 2011 08:31 PM
    Prazan - 10 August 2011 08:25 PM

I’m thinking he was kidding about the nickname. I’m hoping he was kidding.

I don’t know but I can understand his irritation, I used to be like that, very bullish about Apple and AAPL and being irritated by bearish views, not that I’m bearish about AAPL, it’s just the global picture that makes me think we have room for more down movement. I remember having said not so nice things to Zac/Ed the burn in 2008 when he was this board resident bear. smile

Hey STUPIDO , since you are bearish just short it now… Put your money where your mouth is ... and I believe that your mouth is nothing else but your arse ! LOL

caruso:

I just received a copy of a private message to you from another moderator. Please keep your language and references to others in check. Conversations tend to rapid-fire in this topic and the jargon informal, but calling people “STUPIDO” doesn’t work.

Thank you.

I am closing my account here ... Good Luck with your STUPIDO

Don’t let the door hit….

Nevermind, ta-ta.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 10 August 2011 08:30 PM #112

Mav - 10 August 2011 06:16 PM

“Markets…keep on reversin’...‘cuz it won’t be too long!”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wZ3ZG_Wams

Aaaaaaand the markets reversed…again.

Luckily, I’m a Parsley Hunter?, which helps mitigate losses.  Sold YOKU calls intraday at a modest gain (20%), sold LVS weekly calls at a pretty OK gain (30%), took a bath in the Red Sea on NFLX puts, and don’t even get me started on the other disastrous calls I’ve made. 

My side bet record outside of AAPL is pretty mixed lately, but at least I’m still in the game.

[ Edited: 10 August 2011 08:40 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 10 August 2011 08:34 PM #113

Aww, I’ll miss someone who makes me look reasonable.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 10 August 2011 08:35 PM #114

JDSoCal - 10 August 2011 10:24 PM

There are some people who only seem to show themselves on this board on down days. They pop up like Whac-A-Mole.

I really do think this board should do more to segregate the mercenary traders from the AAPL longs. Entirely different culture, which is bound to lead to conflict. There is a day trading Apple thread, BTW. Just my

I wage economic warfare for and against companies and nation-states using a faith-based medium of exchange generally referred to as money. I’m not for hire. I don’t blog and I’m not trying to make a name for myself.

That all said this is the intraday thread.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

Posted: 10 August 2011 08:36 PM #115

JDSoCal - 10 August 2011 11:34 PM

Tan’s got your back when he is in fine form.  grin

Signature

Posted: 10 August 2011 08:41 PM #116

Y’know, AAPL’s looking kinda cheap again.  If nothing else, this market is providing a large variety of dips to buy (or short-lived rallies to short).

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 10 August 2011 08:42 PM #117

ROFLMAO!!! :D

Okay, let’s carry on here, as usual…  I think this is about the time when the T&A jokes start… wink

Posted: 10 August 2011 08:45 PM #118

lovemyipad - 10 August 2011 11:42 PM

ROFLMAO!!! :D

Okay, let’s carry on here, as usual…  I think this is about the time when the T&A jokes start… wink

Did I hear my name called, Lovey?

Signature

Posted: 10 August 2011 08:46 PM #119

LOL, Red!!! smile

Posted: 10 August 2011 09:00 PM #120

I always thought “intraday” meant “trading,” whether day trading or position trading, because when I was exclusively buy-and-hold (most of my adult life), I never monitored intraday marketplace happenings…or I would have slit my wrists! :D

I really like our community here—the collective wisdom is inspiring, and I’m constantly learning new things and gaining new perspectives! smile

That was my reading, too. Many of us are looking to add to positions, or are swing trading, and the analysis of those looking at the market from different angles is the difference between black positions and red ones.