AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 09 August 2011 08:38 PM #16

BrazilNuts - 09 August 2011 11:00 PM
    Red shirted ensign - 09 August 2011 10:19 PM
    BrazilNuts - 09 August 2011 10:06 PM
    Red shirted ensign - 09 August 2011 09:51 PM
    ncgo4 - 09 August 2011 09:40 PM

Jinx, congrats on your very good day.  Hope they are just beginning.

Ditto.

I had a business lunch today and had to leave the internet(s) right after the FOMC announcement. While listening to a client’s life story over Pacific Northwest Salmon and corn chowder (while trying to peek over his shoulder to the TV in the bar where Maria Bartiromo was howling about something)I returned to find myself in far, far better shape than this time yesterday. My two buys Monday morning at 358 and 356 have done me proud and the spreads and calls reflect a verdant sea of double digit gains.

Ah, now to wrap the day, pour a glass of merlot and hope the rumble I feel under my feet is the Asian market players pounding the table with buy orders.

Great you were out and missed the lower lows on the indexes after the FOMC announcement.

Please make that two.

Nuts, I’ll meet you at the Orlando Regal multiplex in a week and we can relax with a new movie…get our minds off this crazy market. Here’s one you might like…

hathaway-jim-sturgess-404x600.jpg[/img]

“After spending the night together on the night of their college graduation Dexter and Em are shown each year on the same date to see where they are in their lives. They are sometimes together, sometimes not, on that day.” Ahhhh Anne Hathaway! Open August 19, a blockbuster for sure.

Same Time Next Year, with Alan Alda and Ellen Burstyn. Oh, wait, that was from 1978…

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078199/

Posted: 09 August 2011 08:56 PM #17

Prazan - 09 August 2011 11:38 PM
    BrazilNuts - 09 August 2011 11:00 PM
    Red shirted ensign - 09 August 2011 10:19 PM
    BrazilNuts - 09 August 2011 10:06 PM
    Red shirted ensign - 09 August 2011 09:51 PM
    ncgo4 - 09 August 2011 09:40 PM

Jinx, congrats on your very good day.  Hope they are just beginning.

Ditto.

I had a business lunch today and had to leave the internet(s) right after the FOMC announcement. While listening to a client’s life story over Pacific Northwest Salmon and corn chowder (while trying to peek over his shoulder to the TV in the bar where Maria Bartiromo was howling about something)I returned to find myself in far, far better shape than this time yesterday. My two buys Monday morning at 358 and 356 have done me proud and the spreads and calls reflect a verdant sea of double digit gains.

Ah, now to wrap the day, pour a glass of merlot and hope the rumble I feel under my feet is the Asian market players pounding the table with buy orders.

Great you were out and missed the lower lows on the indexes after the FOMC announcement.

Please make that two.

Nuts, I’ll meet you at the Orlando Regal multiplex in a week and we can relax with a new movie…get our minds off this crazy market. Here’s one you might like…

hathaway-jim-sturgess-404x600.jpg[/img]

“After spending the night together on the night of their college graduation Dexter and Em are shown each year on the same date to see where they are in their lives. They are sometimes together, sometimes not, on that day.” Ahhhh Anne Hathaway! Open August 19, a blockbuster for sure.

Same Time Next Year, with Alan Alda and Ellen Burstyn. Oh, wait, that was from 1978…

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078199/

Nothing like having an informed author close by. grin

• Posted: 09 August 2011 09:40 PM #18

A great reversal for the market and AAPL and a much needed dose of confidence that the market is not COMPLETELY irrational.  For that, I’m thankful, and the one-day wealth building it produced.  Uncle Ben delivered on saying the words that let me buy back what I sold earlier in the day, and subsequently sold for gain.  Rinse, Wash, Spin, Repeat.

I’m near my all time high and we’re 30 points off AAPL’s ATH.  So it feels good.

Posted: 09 August 2011 09:44 PM #19

Mercel - 10 August 2011 12:40 AM

A great reversal for the market and AAPL and a much needed dose of confidence that the market is not COMPLETELY irrational.  For that, I’m thankful, and the one-day wealth building it produced.  Uncle Ben delivered on saying the words that let me buy back what I sold earlier in the day, and subsequently sold for gain.  Rinse, Wash, Spin, Repeat.

I’m near my all time high and we’re 30 points off AAPL’s ATH.  So it feels good.

Excellent, Mercel!!  Good trading!!

• Posted: 09 August 2011 09:56 PM #20

lovemyipad - 10 August 2011 12:44 AM

Excellent, Mercel!!  Good trading!!

Thanks.  I was both fearful and greedy and it paid off very well.  I should have bought the 911 Turbo S… :-D

Posted: 09 August 2011 10:30 PM #21

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this board!  I love investing and learning about options and how others trade.  I am a relative newbie to options, mostly just buying LEAPS, but I hope I’ll get the cojones to do some of the more interesting things you are all doing here.

A heartfelt THANKS goes out to all of you who are sharing your daily thoughts and adventures.  So much thanks to Dawn Treader, Unique, Caruso, Ipad, Mace, Mav, Ensign, Rudyo, Plato, and many more I’m sure I’m forgetting.  I hope to be more interactive in the future, but for now I’m just getting my feet wet smile

I’m now reading Natenberg, thanks to some of the recommendations I’ve come across here.  Since I tend to go long calls, for now, I hope you can all help with a newbie type of question.

I’ve been trying to get a better handle on volatility, since my calls didn’t have as spectacular of a gain I thought they would after the last earnings report (due to post-earnings volatility suck, as I understand it).  I tend to buy longer calls, and am mostly in cash but thinking about getting back in. I don’t want to lose too much premium as volatility decreases back to its normal level.  Of course I can sell calls against my longs to offset an inevitable decrease in volatility, but I usually sell my calls long before the expiration date and don’t want to have to buy back those calls.  I would love some feedback on how to think about how to best trade AAPL right now.

I believe AAPL is going to appreciate as long as the market doesn’t tank too much, but I don’t have time to daytrade much as I’m not rich enough to quit my 9-5 (yet).

Thanks again to you all!!!!

[ Edited: 09 August 2011 10:52 PM by Matadon ]      

Posted: 09 August 2011 10:43 PM #22

Well at least SOME of us are at ATH-type levels.  Me, I’m up from 2010 - I think - and beyond that I’d rather not say.  It’s like a veritable Red Sea’s worth of tomato soup.

[ Edited: 09 August 2011 10:49 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 09 August 2011 10:47 PM #23

Eric Landstrom - 09 August 2011 09:17 PM

When I say buy Gold, you’ve got to read it in the voice of the commercial: Buy Gooooolllldddd!  LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDdSa7k2a4o

That’s a younger guy trying to sound old.

THIS guy is Mr. Gold IMHO:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_ylZURpZc

His inflection’s a little off in this ad (read: he says “gold” fairly normally), but you get the picture.  (And you’d never guess that Mr. Gold had such a history! wink)

[ Edited: 09 August 2011 11:23 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 09 August 2011 11:31 PM #24

Futures flip flopping.  Asian markets green.

I’m cautiously optimistic for tomorrow.  AAPL had a higher low and higher high on today’s daily chart which bodes well for a reversal, but it’s yet to be confirmed.  SPX, on the other hand, had a lower low and lower high.  If tomorrow looks like we’re headed toward a retest of today’s lows, I’ll be watching those levels carefully to make sure we bounce, not break.  If SPX takes out today’s low and makes a new low, I will flip to “net short” short-term.

For now, I’m long.

P.S. to Caruso: Unique is very LONG at the moment, so you’ll be on the same team for a while. wink

[ Edited: 09 August 2011 11:39 PM by lovemyipad ]      
  • Posted: 09 August 2011 11:43 PM #25

Mav - 10 August 2011 01:43 AM

Well at least SOME of us are at ATH-type levels.  Me, I’m up from 2010 - I think - and beyond that I’d rather not say.  It’s like a veritable Red Sea’s worth of tomato soup.

If it helps, my VZ, BAC and CSCO are crimson red.  I really only “get” AAPL on a fundamental basis, so I’ll be trading these also-rans out when they soon return to green—although I’ll need more patience with CSCO.  At the levels these stragglers are trading at, I’m not inclined to cut my losses here. 

My F is green by a slim margin. 

Meanwhile, our own Patty Murray of WA State has been appointed chief cost-cutter in budget talks.  Don’t get your hopes up:  She a Democrat in a left-leaning state, right there with Eric’s favorite Congressman Jim McDermott.  LOL

Posted: 09 August 2011 11:54 PM #26

Reid’s opening move doesn’t surprise me at all as far as partisanship is concerned.  (Before anyone starts, I’d probably say the exact same thing if McConnell or Boehner made the first announcement.)  I don’t see much open-mindedness on either side once all 12 members get named.  Yup, already lookin’ like nothing more than the bare minimum’s gonna get done (or worse, the triggers will kick in, showing that no one can agree on anything).  I just hope that the bare minimum won’t lead to more downgrades.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 10 August 2011 12:44 AM #27

All told, Kass says these indicators, which are his most important ‘tells’ for market timing, are trending in a positive direction.

And he?s putting his money where his mouth is. Kass also tells us that over the last 2 days he?s traded into net long positions. In fact, he?s the longest he?s been at anytime over the preceding 12 months.

More at

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44078875

• Posted: 10 August 2011 12:51 AM #28

Wednesday

R4       426.70
      midpoint   416.90
    R3       407.09
      midpoint   397.29
    R2       387.48
      midpoint   384.12
    R1       380.75
      midpoint   374.31
    PP       367.87
      midpoint   364.51
    S1       361.14
      midpoint   354.70
    S2       348.26
      midpoint   338.46
    S3       328.65
      midpoint   318.85
    S4       309.04

Posted: 10 August 2011 01:20 AM #29

lovemyipad - 10 August 2011 02:31 AM

Futures flip flopping.  Asian markets green.

I’m cautiously optimistic for tomorrow.  AAPL had a higher low and higher high on today’s daily chart which bodes well for a reversal, but it’s yet to be confirmed.  SPX, on the other hand, had a lower low and lower high.  If tomorrow looks like we’re headed toward a retest of today’s lows, I’ll be watching those levels carefully to make sure we bounce, not break.  If SPX takes out today’s low and makes a new low, I will flip to “net short” short-term.

For now, I’m long.

Let’s say an “invisible hand” in the options market could orchestrate any close it desired on Friday’s expiry…  What do think that price would be and why?  In the invisible hand’s perfect world, what would the lead-up-to-expiration market look like tomorrow and Thursday?

Signature

Study the natural order of things and work with it rather than against it…  ? Tao Te Ching

• Posted: 10 August 2011 01:29 AM #30

roni - 10 August 2011 03:44 AM

All told, Kass says these indicators, which are his most important ‘tells’ for market timing, are trending in a positive direction.

And he?s putting his money where his mouth is. Kass also tells us that over the last 2 days he?s traded into net long positions. In fact, he?s the longest he?s been at anytime over the preceding 12 months.

More at

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44078875

Thanks for this Roni.  I missed this.  Coming from Kass, a noted perma bear, it’s encouraging to learn he’s long.