AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 10 August 2011 01:43 AM #31

Yeah, I’m still not sure about day trading myself.  The regs alone from being classified as a day trader give me a mild headache.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 10 August 2011 01:54 AM #32

Only a mild headache?

On a happy note, Horace has some new charts that tell the Apple dominance story beautifully. Just look at those thick blue lines grin

http://www.asymco.com/2011/08/09/mobile-marshalling-yard/

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 10 August 2011 01:59 AM #33

I got no more room for headaches after all the market whipsaws.  This isn’t anything like those wild n’ crazy rollercoasters that’re all the rage these days. 

An up day tomorrow would be nice.  My side bets are shredded finer than Taco Bell lettuce (make it red cabbage, to keep with my theme) and it sure would be nice if Lady Luck - I mean, LVS - would help partially finance my truly awful other Options Plays Which Shall Not Be Named - a.k.a. soon to be horrific, locked-in-loss mistakes.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 10 August 2011 02:08 AM #34

caruso2323 - 10 August 2011 02:39 AM
    lovemyipad - 10 August 2011 02:31 AM

Futures flip flopping.  Asian markets green.

I’m cautiously optimistic for tomorrow.  AAPL had a higher low and higher high today; SPX, on the other hand, had a lower low and lower high.  If tomorrow looks like we’re headed toward a retest of today’s lows, I’ll be watching carefully to make sure we bounce, not break.  If SPX takes out today’s low and makes a new low, I will flip to “net short” short-term.

For now, I’m long.

P.S. to Caruso: Unique is very LONG at the moment, so you’ll be on the same team for a while. wink

Unique is a short-long ... I am a long-long ...
    OK, Unique is more flexible than me ... He must be “bi-polar” ... LOL

If you’re not able to short markets you’re missing out on half of the opportunities out there. The trouble comes with scale when it may not be prudent to unwind positions because they’re hedging other positions.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 10 August 2011 02:28 AM #35

Eric Landstrom - 10 August 2011 05:08 AM

If you’re not able to short markets you’re missing out on half of the opportunities out there. The trouble comes with scale when it may not be prudent to unwind positions because they’re hedging other positions.

Lesson learned. Took profits on all my Sep $350 puts Friday, even though I originally had bought them to hedge longs against both default risk and downgrade risk. Should have sold only half with the possibility of downgrade still looming.

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

Posted: 10 August 2011 03:51 AM #36

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 10 August 2011 04:06 AM #37

What.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 10 August 2011 09:16 AM #38

In challenging times of turmoil and big spreads, less is more. And this is what the FED delivered yesterday. Took off of the table the monetary policy uncertainty from the market for at least a couple of years and no drama with quantitative easing branded QE3. After throwing a fit to having negated its new toy, markets rallied strongly to the close.

Oil closed at $79.30 and wonder if this will be felt soon at the pump. Diesel still close to a painful $4 a gallon. Cheaper fuel would make a difference for consumers. There is no destruction of demand in this case, just trading houses getting smashed as posted some months ago.

Did we set a short term bottom? Probably a low, but the playbook, if it still readable would call for a W shaped action. We are still very oversold and should stay this way for many days more. As this state vanes, we could make the other leg down of the W.

Volatility is also higher. At before pre-market we are seeing AAPL going from $372s to $375s. Fear may also have peaked with the VIX easing from 47.56 to 35.06, which is still high.

All in all, believe markets are at a hangover stage today, like the movie. Now is time to understand what happened during the party and why the elephant is on the bathtub. Being cautious and nimble is the way to go.

[ Edited: 10 August 2011 09:19 AM by BrazilNuts ]      

Posted: 10 August 2011 09:25 AM #39

Marc Faber: “The Best Thing The Fed Could Do For Markets Wold Be To Collectively Resign”

ARTICLE HERE

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 10 August 2011 09:55 AM #40

TanToday - 10 August 2011 12:25 PM

Marc Faber: “The Best Thing The Fed Could Do For Markets Wold Be To Collectively Resign”

ARTICLE HERE

I second that!

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

• Posted: 10 August 2011 09:56 AM #41

Ah now I know why Dow futures are down 200 - M. Whitney is on CNBC. :-D

A day trader’s dream!

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

• Posted: 10 August 2011 09:59 AM #42

If they resigned we’d just have to switch to the short side, investment-wise, IMO.

• Posted: 10 August 2011 10:37 AM #43

caruso2323 - 10 August 2011 01:34 PM

Patsy ,

Yesterday, you asked my opinion about correlating AAPL’s ATH with the S&P ...

If it was not for some new factors in play, I would have given you an answer…
    The new factors IMHO :

1) Changes in the perception that AAPL is expensive
    2) Changes in the perception that a 490+ is unrealistic
    3) Changes in the perception that Android is killing Apple
    4) Changes in the perception that AAPL could be brought down to 310 or below

This week and next week will be quite revealing in assessing the new metrics

But in my mind 383 is within reach, the 385-390 could be an arduous battlefield ...
    At these levels there will be buying & selling opportunities ... One will need to consider both
    the upside and the downside ...

415-425 is achievable before earning ... After earning around 455
    The downside is 360-365

Thanks much. I am planning to deploy my capital towards purchase of common. $41 appreciation is my goal…I am trying to enter with 4 trades each at different level..Lets see how it goes.

• Posted: 10 August 2011 10:38 AM #44

Back to 75% cash for the near term

• Posted: 10 August 2011 11:20 AM #45

thoughts on a good place to jump in over the next few days?  I’m thinking aapl at ~$366 is a great long term buy, I didn’t have cash on Monday or I would have jumped in at the $355ish levels