AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

• Posted: 10 August 2011 11:20 AM #46

Mercel - 10 August 2011 12:56 AM
    lovemyipad - 10 August 2011 12:44 AM
    Mercel - 10 August 2011 12:40 AM

A great reversal for the market and AAPL and a much needed dose of confidence that the market is not COMPLETELY irrational.  For that, I’m thankful, and the one-day wealth building it produced.  Uncle Ben delivered on saying the words that let me buy back what I sold earlier in the day, and subsequently sold for gain.  Rinse, Wash, Spin, Repeat.

I’m near my all time high and we’re 30 points off AAPL’s ATH.  So it feels good.

Excellent, Mercel!!  Good trading!!

Thanks.  I was both fearful and greedy and it paid off very well.  I should have bought the 911 Turbo S… :-D

Yes, you should have smile

Posted: 10 August 2011 11:36 AM #47

Thankfully, American enterprise is connected to French banks in more ways than serving french fries in the Company cafeteria and must come down with the French banks, one of which is rumored to be on the brink?although they deny this is so. Nevertheless, American enterprise must come down.

American enterprise like AAPL.

Heh.

In other news, gold set a new high.

GOOOOOLLLLLLLDDDD. Cough.

[ Edited: 10 August 2011 11:41 AM by Eric Landstrom ]

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 10 August 2011 11:47 AM #48

Advice from a typical tycoon like Warren Buffett:

?My advice to retail investors is to really go long-term and choose the best fundamental stock that pays a lot of dividends and sit on it. About 95 per cent of traders lose money, so don?t try to be short-term traders.?

His advice has to be modified for AAPL investors, remove “that pays a lot of dividends”.

For AAPL traders, your goal is to grow your stock portfolio (includes bonds) networth by at least 50% annually in order to beat the return of AAPL-only investors.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 10 August 2011 11:53 AM #49

roni - 10 August 2011 12:59 PM

If they resigned we’d just have to switch to the short side, investment-wise, IMO.

If you only knew the power of the short side….

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

Posted: 10 August 2011 11:54 AM #50

Mace - 10 August 2011 02:47 PM

?My advice to retail investors is to really go long-term and choose the best fundamental stock that pays a lot of dividends and sit on it. About 95 per cent of traders lose money, so don?t try to be short-term traders.?

His advice has to be modified for AAPL investors, remove “that pays a lot of dividends”.

For AAPL traders, your goal is to grow your stock portfolio (includes bonds) networth by at least 50% annually in order to beat the return of AAPL-only investors.

2009: better than an 800% gain. AAPL lags.

Signature

Posted: 10 August 2011 12:05 PM #51

Eric Landstrom - 10 August 2011 02:54 PM
    Mace - 10 August 2011 02:47 PM

2009: better than an 800% gain. AAPL lags.

Annually for many years, not just one year, please quote your 10 years (ttm) average annual return.  2008: $1000 to $100 (loss 90%), 2009: $100 to $900 (800% gain), average annual return is less than zero.

Edit:  Don’t forget to add in bonds, other equities and cash meant for propping trading.  % can change drastically by changing the denominator.  For example, if you have more than half of stock portfolio in cash and bonds, your return would drop to 400%.

[ Edited: 10 August 2011 12:11 PM by Mace ]

Signature

Posted: 10 August 2011 12:15 PM #52

caruso2323 - 10 August 2011 03:09 PM

... Apple will have to be careful to manage its image through the patent battles , to appear as a defender of its rights, and not as an oppressor dictating its products to consumers… I think Apple needs to emphasize its contribution to job creation, in the US and abroad

Are SJ and TC up to mark for this?  So far, Apple prefers to let the number and products to speak for themselves which I think is not good because most people don’t understand number, they prefer to be emotionally influenced by words.

Signature

Posted: 10 August 2011 12:34 PM #53

The market may go up from here, but where is the growth going to come from.
    We know that Apple will sell everything they make, thats a given. But aapl will follow the markets as we found out in 2008. I just don’t see unemployment coming down in the U.S or Europe anytime soon. The congress and the president will continue the same song and dance all the way till the elections, of that, I have no doubt. With all the people ready to come off unemployment insurance, which is in the millions, and cutting debt world wide, how can we grow.  What will be the catalyst to drive the market higher into years end.
    I hate to be pessimistic, but I have a hard time finding positives in the world today.

Posted: 10 August 2011 12:36 PM #54

Possibly making a base in this AAPL/365 and SPX/1130 area…

Nonetheless, stay alert for tests of yesterday’s low…

I flipped short-term “net short” this morning, just took profits on the last downwave.  Let’s see what happens now…

EDIT: Sorry, I keep typo’ing on my SPX numbers.  Would be really nice to have a base at 1300…but alas, I meant 1130…and I was obviously mistaken at that too!!

[ Edited: 10 August 2011 06:30 PM by lovemyipad ]      

Posted: 10 August 2011 12:38 PM #55

P.S. Note, today’s trend is down until proven otherwise.

Posted: 10 August 2011 12:39 PM #56

lovemyipad - 10 August 2011 03:36 PM

Possibly making a base in this AAPL/365 and SPX/1300 area…

Nonetheless, stay alert for tests of yesterday’s low…

I flipped short-term “net short” this morning, just took profits on the last downwave.  Let’s see what happens now…

Agree on Apple 365 as a possible base.

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 10 August 2011 12:42 PM #57

favorable press comments… Everyone on the street says AAPL with a forward P/E is cheap at 11.5 to 2012, with room to increase market share (X2) in all its products ...

The street likes success stories… AAPL is a hero !

And the street doesn’t even know how cheap AAPL is—they grossly underestimate next year’s earnings. Independent analysts are expecting $50 in fiscal 2012. The true forward PE is under 8, and ex cash it’s under 6.

The street thinks AAPL is a hero now? They have no idea how good this story gets!

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

Posted: 10 August 2011 12:55 PM #58

Apple II+ - 10 August 2011 03:42 PM

favorable press comments… Everyone on the street says AAPL with a forward P/E is cheap at 11.5 to 2012, with room to increase market share (X2) in all its products ...

The street likes success stories… AAPL is a hero !

And the street doesn’t even know how cheap AAPL is—they grossly underestimate next year’s earnings. Independent analysts are expecting $50 in fiscal 2012. The true forward PE is under 8, and ex cash it’s under 6.

The street thinks AAPL is a hero now? They have no idea how good this story gets!

Also, forward PE is considered much more accurate a valuation metric than trailing PE. The problem with it is the difficulty in predicting future earnings, but we know the independent analysts are pretty good at that.

Forward PE is now under 8. In The Great Recession, forward PE never fell below 8. That’s factoring in hindsight of actual, re-stated earnings under the present GAAP rules, not estimates.

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

Posted: 10 August 2011 12:57 PM #59

Jamie Dimon on CNBC sounding solid….pointing out why this is not 2008 and why America has much going for it in the bigger picture.

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 10 August 2011 02:06 PM #60

Red shirted ensign - 10 August 2011 03:57 PM

Jamie Dimon on CNBC sounding solid….pointing out why this is not 2008 and why America has much going for it in the bigger picture.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44090455

Good stuff to listen to if one is interested in what our most-recognized banker thinks.

Signature