AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 15 August 2011 09:23 AM #31

Just realized that GOOG is now in direct competition with AAPL.  I tend to think of only phones with Motorola, but they have the Xoom too.  Which was arguably one of the better (if overpriced) Android tablets out there.  Damn… the iPad3 vs Xoom2/3 showdown just got a lot more interesting.

• Posted: 15 August 2011 09:27 AM #32

The implosion of Android has begun.  Multiple partners are going to be pissed off.  Consumers are going to be confused.  This is a desperate move by google ... How it can be seen as anything else is beyond me.  Just exactly how does this make either stronger ? 

Meanwhile in iOS land , calm abounds as people wait patiently or iphone5 ... iPad is destroying the competition and millions Of college kids are getting their first Mac.  iTunes is selling media like hotcakes and things will only get better after icloud is released.  Apple should be up 10% in premarket , but as usual most don’t have a clue.

Posted: 15 August 2011 09:46 AM #33

SPX needs to take out 1190 for a relief rally…needs to get above and stay above that level today.

Posted: 15 August 2011 10:05 AM #34

The acquisition of MMI seems to be a defensive move to gain patent positions more than anything else, and something done reluctantly:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/08/15/google_ceo_anticompetitive_apple_microsoft_forced_motorola_deal.html

I suspect Google will reassure licensees of Android that MMI will remain independently run, with no favoritism. The Samsungs of the world have little choice except to go along.

Posted: 15 August 2011 10:05 AM #35

Motorola (MMI) up +58% in PM.

Posted: 15 August 2011 10:08 AM #36

Prazan - 15 August 2011 01:05 PM

I suspect Google will reassure licensees of Android that MMI will remain independently run, with no favoritism. The Samsungs of the world have little choice except to go along.

Business talk. They would be fool to not do so and they actually did. Larry Page’s comment (from Engadget):

“Motorola Mobility’s total commitment to Android has created a natural fit for our two companies. Together, we will create amazing user experiences that supercharge the entire Android ecosystem for the benefit of consumers, partners and developers. I look forward to welcoming Motorolans to our family of Googlers.”

Just wait. In 2 years from now, the picture will be pretty different, Android exclusively on Motorola phones, imho.

• Posted: 15 August 2011 10:12 AM #37

iMoi - 15 August 2011 01:08 PM

Just wait. In 2 years from now, the picture will be pretty different, Android exclusively on Motorola phones, imho.

I think the opposite.  In two years after losing a couple of manufacturers to Windows/WebOS, Google will shut down Moto hardware.  Google are about owning search on every computing device, everything else is positioning.

Posted: 15 August 2011 10:16 AM #38

LongAAPLsince02 - 15 August 2011 01:12 PM

I think the opposite.  In two years after losing a couple of manufacturers to Windows/WebOS, Google will shut down Moto hardware.  Google are about owning search on every computing device, everything else is positioning.

At that point, I wonder if GOOG will write-off a chunk of the $12.5B price, or if it will somehow justify that every single patent it got has a “fair market value” close to a million dollars.

Posted: 15 August 2011 10:20 AM #39

mjuarez - 15 August 2011 01:16 PM
    LongAAPLsince02 - 15 August 2011 01:12 PM

At that point, I wonder if GOOG will write-off a chunk of the $12.5B price, or if it will somehow justify that every single patent it got has a “fair market value” close to a million dollars.

I get that there are 2 different ways of viewing this deal, one is for the patents library, the other is for vertical integration ambitions. In the latter case, I think they would also need a decent store, maybe their shopping ain’t over. We’ll see.

Posted: 15 August 2011 10:38 AM #40

lovemyipad - 15 August 2011 12:46 PM

SPX needs to take out 1190 for a relief rally…needs to get above and stay above that level today.

S&P @ 1192 now.  smile

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 15 August 2011 10:39 AM #41

Five minutes after the bell, Apple up .8%, Google down .9%. Not a huge shift in sentiment, but favorable to Apple so far.

Posted: 15 August 2011 10:48 AM #42

Whatever the future outcomes, the Google news is very good for the markets in general and tech stocks in particular (except for IDC, down 18%). Markets love M&A, this news totally annihilate the bad Empire states index numbers. AAPL now +1.65%. NOK up 14%, I guess the street thinks this is bad news for Android makers.

Posted: 15 August 2011 11:19 AM #43

Tend to dislike early going moves like this (even though was positioned from Friday for it), specially with bad economic data. Headline risk is high with Europe sovereigns still on the front stage. Markets are still on a fragile state.

Google purchase of Motorola Mobility, whilst may move AAPL shares,does not neutralize bad economic news.

Implied volatility for AAPL at 45 above its 26-week average of 31 according to Track Data, suggesting large price movement.

Even though AAPL is hot, would not bet on the overall market movement. Just reminding the machines are lurking and the Disruptor ready to fire.

Flogging! Oh no!

Posted: 15 August 2011 11:24 AM #44

BrazilNuts - 15 August 2011 02:19 PM

Tend to dislike early going moves like this (even though was positioned from Friday for it), specially with bad economic data. Headline risk is high with Europe sovereigns still on the front stage. Markets are still on a fragile state.

Google purchase of Motorola Mobility, whilst may move AAPL shares,does not neutralize bad economic news.

Implied volatility for AAPL at 45 above its 26-week average of 31 according to Track Data, suggesting large price movement.

Even though AAPL is hot, would not bet on the overall market movement. Just reminding the machines are lurking and the Disruptor ready to fire.

Flogging! Oh no!

Disruptors can be very unsettling…..so I sold some covered calls here, Aug 20 385’s.  Caution, caution….

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 15 August 2011 11:33 AM #45

Red shirted ensign - 15 August 2011 02:24 PM
    BrazilNuts - 15 August 2011 02:19 PM

Flogging! Oh no!

Disruptors can be very unsettling…..so I sold some covered calls here, Aug 20 385’s.  Caution, caution….

And machines can push as higher too, however with a catch…

All is love this morning. Prepare for the unexpected. If it does not come, better.

On the W thing, this is for weeks, even a couple of months, not days. A retest of lows could came when we are not expecting.