Selling on Strength / Buying on Weakness

• Posted: 15 August 2011 07:20 PM

It’s been a while since I last saw AAPL at the top (or even on) the Selling on Strength List, while I have seen AAPL on the Buying on Weakness List.

Each time on the Buying on Weakness List, retail traders are net sellers, while block traders (institutions) are net buyers.  Thirty DMA has risen ~40% in the last month.

I think the shift has happened where the institutions have returned to AAPL.

[ Edited: 20 February 2012 10:10 PM by lovemyipad ]

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 06 September 2011 07:52 PM #1

Gregg Thurman - 15 August 2011 10:20 PM

It’s been a while since I last saw AAPL at the top (or even on) the Selling on Strength List, while I have seen AAPL on the Buying on Weakness List.

Each time on the Buying on Weakness List, retail traders are net sellers, while block traders (institutions) are net buyers.  Thirty DMA has risen ~40% in the last month.

After dropping for some unknown reason last week, AAPL was up as much as $6.00 today, yet did not appear on the Selling on Strength list.  This after two days of AAPL appearing at or near the top of the Buying on Weakness list.  Are the institutions loading up for October earnings/guidance?

A little off topic, but is anybody considering going to cash just before Obama speaks later this week?

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 06 September 2011 08:03 PM #2

Gregg Thurman - 06 September 2011 10:52 PM

After dropping for some unknown reason last week, AAPL was up as much as $6.00 today, yet did not appear on the Selling on Strength list.  This after two days of AAPL appearing at or near the top of the Buying on Weakness list.  Are the institutions loading up for October earnings/guidance?

A little off topic, but is anybody considering going to cash just before Obama speaks later this week?

Yes :innocent:

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 06 September 2011 09:14 PM #3

mbeauch - 06 September 2011 11:03 PM

+2

Posted: 06 September 2011 09:18 PM #4

I don’t really care what political party you’re from (though I’m sure someone will cast me in some mold based on what I’m about to say), you’d kinda have a hard time remembering the last time the markets had an up day when President Obama gave some kind of major policy speech.

I would sell most of my trades, but, well, the market’s forced me to ride it out until the next media invite/iPhone.  So YOKU better go up and FAST!

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 06 September 2011 09:18 PM #5

Mostly there already.

• Posted: 06 September 2011 10:59 PM #6

Mav - 07 September 2011 12:18 AM

I don’t really care what political party you’re from (though I’m sure someone will cast me in some mold based on what I’m about to say), you’d kinda have a hard time remembering the last time the markets had an up day when President Obama gave some kind of major policy speech.

At this point Obama is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn’t.  An NBC/WSJ survey (released today) has him trailing any generic Republican by 3 points.

[ Edited: 07 September 2011 02:00 AM by Gregg Thurman ]

Signature

Posted: 07 September 2011 03:40 AM #7

I’d say so! grin

Until AAPL broke into the green today right after lunch, it was #1 or #2 all day on buying on weakness, clearly today was a good day for AAL bulls.

Signature

Don’t anthropomorphize computers, they hate that.

• Posted: 20 September 2011 05:37 PM #8

ChicagoBob - 07 September 2011 06:40 AM

I’d say so! grin

Until AAPL broke into the green today right after lunch, it was #1 or #2 all day on buying on weakness, clearly today was a good day for AAL bulls.

After the rally of the last several days, it appears that the institutions have definitely moved in.

AAPL has not been on the Selling on Strength list throughout this rally, even though volume has nearly doubled.

Signature

• Posted: 14 October 2011 02:44 PM #9

Gregg Thurman - 20 September 2011 08:37 PM
    ChicagoBob - 07 September 2011 06:40 AM

I’d say so! grin

After the rally of the last several days, it appears that the institutions have definitely moved in.

AAPL has not been on the Selling on Strength list throughout this rally, even though volume has nearly doubled.

And so it continues.

Since last Friday’s collapse ($368ish) AAPL has gained >13% (more than a significant amount for a stock priced as is AAPL).  Yet AAPL remains absent from the Selling on Strength list, as it has for more than 5 weeks.

Apparently, $419 isn’t enough to move the institutions out of AAPL.  Gee, I wonder why?  :  )

Signature

Posted: 14 October 2011 03:13 PM #10

Why indeed?

With a reasonable P/E (ISM) of 16 this happy holiday season, AAPL is over 450 by year end.  (That assumes earnings of friggin’ $7.50, btw.)

Obviously, Apple’s financials and all those macro factor have to cooperate.  But let’s say Apple manages a ttm EPS of close to or over $30?  Pine fresh green, baby!

[ Edited: 14 October 2011 03:15 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 14 October 2011 03:40 PM #11

mbeauch - 06 September 2011 11:03 PM

Mark is in cash preservation mode of sorts.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 14 October 2011 03:45 PM #12

SHHHHHHHHHHHH, Eric, things are going to plan, I will let the cat out of the bag on Tuesday if all goes well.  tongue laugh

Remember that one position I told you about this morning? it is +140% today. Yikes. :bugeyed:

Signature

Posted: 14 October 2011 03:58 PM #13

mbeauch - 14 October 2011 06:45 PM

SHHHHHHHHHHHH, Eric, things are going to plan, I will let the cat out of the bag on Tuesday if all goes well.  tongue laugh

Remember that one position I told you about this morning? it is +140% today. Yikes. :bugeyed:

Good thing you’re in another state or you’d be paying for lunch.  :dunce:

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 14 October 2011 04:14 PM #14

Eric Landstrom - 14 October 2011 06:58 PM
    mbeauch - 14 October 2011 06:45 PM

Good thing you’re in another state or you’d be paying for lunch.  :dunce:

Whenever I make it up that way I will gladly buy you dinner. I am not talking fast food either. lol   It has been a really good day. I am stunned honestly.

Signature

Posted: 14 October 2011 04:15 PM #15

One of these days, I would travel all over US to visit you guys.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs