Safe Download Version 0.4.1 definitions - just checking as of 8.16.11 what is the #?

Posted: 16 August 2011 09:15 PM

Hi!

I used your handy software progam that debuted in June 2011. It now has “Your osx safe download definitions are currently at Version 23 last updated Monday 8.8.11 4:38.55 pm.

I ran UPDATE definitions from your program -ver 0.4.1 and was told “you are current”.

I just want to make sure I AM current since Cnet just today in one of their security emails released a note saying apple was having to send out new definitions because of the fake adobe flash installer malware/badware. Here is that article CNET article http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20091760-263/apple-updates-malware-definitions-for-fake-flash-player-trojan/?tag=nl.e795

Thanks all you experts!  TTM

Apple Safe Files List: Staying On Top of Malware Definitions
    How-To by Jeff Gamet | 2:57 PM, Jun. 2nd, 2011
    Apple does a pretty good job at making Mac OS X easy to use, but the company?s efforts to shield users from the system?s underpinnings sometimes means we don?t have access to important details about things like whether or not Snow Leopard users have the most recent Safe Files database for Safari downloads, or detecting the MacDefender malware.

Mac OS X 10.6.7 users that installed Security Update 2011-003 can potentially receive a new definition file daily, although there isn?t a clear way in the OS to tell whether or not a new file is available, or if it has been installed. The security update was issued to help protect Mac users from the MacDefender trojan horse application that tries to scam victims into giving up credit card account information.

Posted: 02 October 2011 01:14 AM #1

tammythemongoose - 17 August 2011 12:15 AM

Hi!

I used your handy software progam that debuted in June 2011. It now has “Your osx safe download definitions are currently at Version 23 last updated Monday 8.8.11 4:38.55 pm.

I ran UPDATE definitions from your program -ver 0.4.1 and was told “you are current”.

I just want to make sure I AM current since Cnet just today in one of their security emails released a note saying apple was having to send out new definitions because of the fake adobe flash installer malware/badware. Here is that article CNET article http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20091760-263/apple-updates-malware-definitions-for-fake-flash-player-trojan/?tag=nl.e795

Thanks all you experts!  TTM

Apple Safe Files List: Staying On Top of Malware Definitions
    How-To by Jeff Gamet | 2:57 PM, Jun. 2nd, 2011
    Apple does a pretty good job at making Mac OS X easy to use, but the company?s efforts to shield users from the system?s underpinnings sometimes means we don?t have access to important details about things like whether or not Snow Leopard users have the most recent Safe Files database for Safari downloads, or detecting the MacDefender malware.

Mac OS X 10.6.7 users that installed Security Update 2011-003 can potentially receive a new definition file daily, although there isn?t a clear way in the OS to tell whether or not a new file is available, or if it has been installed. The security update was issued to help protect Mac users from the MacDefender trojan horse application that tries to scam victims into giving up credit card account information.

The version is up to 28 as of Sept.29- 1316. 

The updates are also pushed automatically from Apple to your machine.  There isn’t much you can do beyond that.  However, in this case, the best defense is a good offense.  Meaning, don’t download or install anything that you are not absolutely sure about or don’t trust or just didn’t ask for. If you know you installed flash from the Adobe.com site in the past and are prompted to install flash again, don’t do it. Especially if the request to install isn’t from the Adobe site.

Lastly, even the Adobe site won’t prompt you to install.  You must initiate the install manually.  Which is a good thing.