The Steve Jobs As Chairman, Tim Cook As CEO Topic

• Posted: 24 August 2011 09:15 PM

A new sticky topic for the evening hours…

[ Edited: 25 August 2011 06:00 PM by DawnTreader ]      

Posted: 24 August 2011 09:21 PM #1

Just a slap at the union out in California, SJ: it is time we execute our succession plan and name TC as CEO permanently.  tongue laugh

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 24 August 2011 09:24 PM #2

Until we hear otherwise, I’m treating the practical effects of the management shuffle as “another day at the office.” 

Meaning, Tim Cook has been CEO in all but name for years, and Steve will continue doing what he’s been doing since announcing his leave of absence.  This is a more than fine state of affairs.

I’ll be the optimist here and point out again that this was 100% “surprise” news.  No rumors or reports about Steve in decline or contemplating resignation beforehand.  Just Steve being Steve, announcing his resignation on the spot.  Now, he did say he’d hope to return as soon as he could, so it’s pretty clear Steve’s not really getting any better.  Is he getting worse?  Who knows.  The silver lining, Tim Cook is a superbly capable CEO and Steve’s obviously planned and prepped the company well for the post-Steve era.  Hopefully, Apple’s taken no chances and also has a succession plan in place for Tim Cook as well.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 24 August 2011 09:29 PM #3

Time to break open those money jars folks and get busy tomorrow. While a VERY sad day for SJ, his resignation (as CEO) removes the elephant from the corner and should allow aapl to regain some of its lost “value”.

I will be deploying dry powder in the form of early-mid 2012 calls and shares.

Note: I do expect some significant “hit pieces” tomorrow morning. The FUDsters will be out in force.

cheers to the longs
        JohnG

Posted: 24 August 2011 09:33 PM #4

I may do some combination of selling some short-term non-AAPL trades or even dipping, a little, into margin.

Nothing ridiculously reckless.  Still, wish me luck, if you like.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 24 August 2011 09:37 PM #5

Everyone must pass the mantle at some point, TC has done an admirable job and deserves the title of CEO.  This is just the formal transition.  Thank you Steve for your great leadership and vision.  Will be watching with interest as the iPhone 5 is unveiled, we will finally get to appreciate the deep bench of Apple the corporation.

• Posted: 24 August 2011 09:37 PM #6

Mav - 25 August 2011 12:33 AM

I may do some combination of selling some short-term non-AAPL trades or even dipping, a little, into margin.

Good luck smile, to us all.

• Posted: 24 August 2011 09:42 PM #7

Jon Gruber nailed it.  Titled, simply, “Resigned”

http://daringfireball.net/2011/08/resigned

Posted: 24 August 2011 10:14 PM #8

I take this as the last opportunity to get in at the 350-360 level.  I do have some cash set aside, and may add to my holding tomorrow.

I have not sold a single share since I bought in when the first iPod came out, and I have slowly accumulated quite a bit more.  Another opportunity is right now.

I do agree with some of the others at AFB that splitting the stock will have a positive impact on the stock price.  There are plenty of people around with 5 or 10K available and can’t really get into the game, except through options or leaps, and a lot of people are not familiar or comfortable with those.  Maybe TC will convince the Board to do that.

• Posted: 24 August 2011 10:19 PM #9

Sorry to be the one to dampen the mood, but I am very worried for Steve’s health. His resignation letter clearly indicates deterioration, and there are other reports (FT, Bloomberg). I am afraid he may have become resigned to not getting better, and after his incredible endurance over recent years, that would be significant.

[ Edited: 24 August 2011 10:29 PM by sleepygeek ]      
  • Posted: 24 August 2011 10:23 PM #10

Mav - 25 August 2011 12:33 AM

Good luck, Mav.

Posted: 24 August 2011 10:26 PM #11

sleepygeek - 25 August 2011 01:19 AM

Sorry to be the one to dampen the mood, but I am very worried for Steve’s health. His resignation letter clearly indicates deterioration, and there are other reports (FT, Zerohedge). I am afraid he may have become resigned to not getting better, and after his incredible endurance over recent years, that would be significant.

We’re all worried.  This isn’t an Apple thing, it’s a concern for the health of someone who’s been ill for some time now thing.

But until we get some news reports from credible sources such as NYT or WSJ (and believe me, the media will be looking for “scoops” on Steve’s condition like never before), it’s just hand-wringing and speculation.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 24 August 2011 11:04 PM #12

Meet the fellow who will be / is likely the new COO

http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/jeff-williams.html

Posted: 24 August 2011 11:15 PM #13

roni - 25 August 2011 02:04 AM

Meet the fellow who will be / is likely the new COO

http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/jeff-williams.html

Great experience, in very capable hands is Apple.

Posted: 24 August 2011 11:28 PM #14

He’s an IBMer.

Same as Tim Cook, actually!

And joined Apple around the same time as Cook, too.  Apple execs don’t stick around 13 years unless they’re worthy.  If he’s anything like Cook, the COO position will be in good hands.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 25 August 2011 12:00 AM #15

From a medical standpoint it appears as if Steve’s cancer is back.  He delayed his first surgery and the cancer metastasized.  With spread to the liver, he needed a transplant (and second medical leave).  He probably also had spread to other organs which showed up later (after transplant).  He probably had chemo for this, explaining his last medical leave.  With chemo exhausted, he may be looking at the end.  Of course, this is just my speculation.

It is a very sad day indeed.

Signature

A kernel panic is a message displayed by an operating system upon detecting an internal system error from which it cannot recover….