The Steve Jobs As Chairman, Tim Cook As CEO Topic

Posted: 25 August 2011 01:33 AM #31

michelc - 25 August 2011 04:29 AM

Tonight I sent a thank you note to Steve and a congratulation one to Tim.

Glad to report that Tim wrote back.

This alone let me know that Apple will stay the same!

Tim wrote back?!  Really?

Well if he’s felt a little left out of the email love lately, that won’t be the case from
    now on!

Good idea - I should write to Tim as well as Steve.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 25 August 2011 01:34 AM #32

I am not trying to claim that I know anything about his health condition, and I am not going to believe anyone that claims to know anything about it either. That wasn’t my point.  But I think there is value in discussing what this news means to us as investors. That does not mean that I am expecting anyone here to make my investing decisions for me. I invested in Apple when it $7.55 a share, long before I even knew this place existed.

It may be counterintuitive, but I think this news is going to make Apple a more predictable investment. That is, it is going to driven by the numbers it delivers from here on in. It is a testament to Steve, that the company no longer needs his mystique to attract investors. The numbers speak for themselves and they are going to be very positive for a long time to come.

Posted: 25 August 2011 01:46 AM #33

Yep third time I wrote to him. Each time I got a reply. Could be a staff person, but the last time it was about the lack of French on apple Canada web site. The day after I got a call from apple Canada and within a year the French portion of the web site was way much in par with the English one.

For sure I don’t take an habit of writing to him ( 3 times in 4 5 years). Maybe that help in getting an answer!

• Posted: 25 August 2011 01:48 AM #34

One of the more insightful articles out there about Steve Job’s modus operandus at Apple that I have come across from Galen Gruman, former editor at MacWorld. Very well balanced and has the ring of truth (published at Infoworld)  http://www.infoworld.com/d/the-industry-standard/steve-jobs-fierce-life-and-legacy-926?page=0,0

• Posted: 25 August 2011 01:50 AM #35

PED did a great job, as usual, with the story:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/08/24/steve-jobs-resigns-puts-tim-cooks-name-forward-as-ceo/

Posted: 25 August 2011 01:55 AM #36

adam

I have a friend who lives in Cupertino.

He worked for Flextronics.  Some of his engineer friends left after being recruited by Apple.  They tried to recruit him and he said No because he hates Apple and SJ.

He then worked for another company while his friends kept recruiting him.  He said no again.

He then worked for Palm and tried to tell me how great their next OS would be.  We know how that turned out.  In the mean time his friends kept recruiting him.

He then worked for HP and was excited about their new cellphone.  We know how that turned out.

When HP announced this week they would abandon WebOS I pleaded with him to work for Apple.  He said no way.  He would rather work for Google.

Needles to say SJ is gone, maybe he will work for Apple some day, but in the mean time he missed out on millions of stock options simply because he is so negative about Apple.

I should point out that his wife loves her iPhone.

The point is that I envy anyone who works for Apple because they have the opportunity of a lifetime.

• Posted: 25 August 2011 01:55 AM #37

We ALREADY know how great Tim Cook will be as CEO.  And I think Steve won’t be half bad as Chairman.  :wink:

Posted: 25 August 2011 01:58 AM #38

Marcel - 25 August 2011 04:55 AM

We ALREADY know how great Tim Cook will be as CEO.  And I think Steve won’t be half bad as Chairman.  :wink:

I still think WS will want to wait a couple of years without SJ at the helm before they declare Apple is on the right path.

The saga of Apple without SJ is just starting and it won’t be resolved for some time.

In the mean time there is enough momentum to drive the earnings up and keep those price targets on track for at least 18 months.

• Posted: 25 August 2011 01:59 AM #39

DawnTreader - 25 August 2011 03:17 AM

SJ’s health issues are his issues. I don’t desire to speculate on his condition nor should this forum community devolve into discussions about his personal health matters.

We all knew this day would come and it’s a day many of us have expected for quite a period of time. It’s an unpleasant day but a day that has come to pass. I look forward to a bright future for Apple, the company’s shareholders, the company’s customers and all of us who have enriched our lives through the uses of Apple products and Apple technology.

I look forward to SJ’s continuing involvement in his role as the company’s board chair.

Perfect.

• Posted: 25 August 2011 02:06 AM #40

omacvi - 25 August 2011 04:58 AM
    Marcel - 25 August 2011 04:55 AM

I still think WS will want to wait a couple of years without SJ at the helm before they declare Apple is on the right path.

The saga of Apple without SJ is just starting and it won’t be resolved for some time.

In the mean time there is enough momentum to drive the earnings up and keep those price targets on track for at least 18 months.

Two years?  How about two months, about the time when we listen to Q4 2011 earnings. Tim Cook has effectively served as CEO for well over two years, albeit noncontinuous.  Steve gets a new title…what’s changed, really? 

Read PED’s article, as it provides some insight how this could have been a collaborative Board/Steve Jobs decision to remove the uncertainty over his status as CEO.

Posted: 25 August 2011 02:11 AM #41

Marcel - 25 August 2011 04:59 AM
    DawnTreader - 25 August 2011 03:17 AM

SJ’s health issues are his issues. I don’t desire to speculate on his condition nor should this forum community devolve into discussions about his personal health matters.

We all knew this day would come and it’s a day many of us have expected for quite a period of time. It’s an unpleasant day but a day that has come to pass. I look forward to a bright future for Apple, the company’s shareholders, the company’s customers and all of us who have enriched our lives through the uses of Apple products and Apple technology.

I look forward to SJ’s continuing involvement in his role as the company’s board chair.

Perfect.

I want lemonade out of this lemon. I want a brilliant man, freed of the daily grind of being a detail-fixated CEO of the most valuable company in the world, to regain his health, rediscover other parts of his life and, in so doing, see new things that even he had not seen before. Then to bring those wonderful new things back to Apple, as it’s Chairman and chief innovator, where the team he built will make them a reality and amaze the world.

Then I want him to smile.

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 25 August 2011 02:15 AM #42

This could be the cue for other execs to leave the stage as well.  Happened at Nokia, other companies.

• Posted: 25 August 2011 02:33 AM #43

Mike in Helsinki - 25 August 2011 05:15 AM

This could be the cue for other execs to leave the stage as well.  Happened at Nokia, other companies.

The only one that concerned me has already left.  I’m hoping one of Tim’s first announcements will be who’s replacing Ron Johnson as head of retail.  Retail continues to be one of the more urgently needed avenues for sustained growth.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 25 August 2011 02:49 AM #44

Nice to hear you’ve changed your tune, AT.  There’s value here in AAPL right now and there may be more tomorrow. 

From Mossberg’s essay:

To be very clear, Jobs, while seriously ill, is very much alive. Extremely well-informed sources at Apple say he intends to remain involved in developing major future products and strategy and intends to be an active chairman of the board, even while new CEO Tim Cook runs the company day to day.

So, this is not an obituary. But his health is reported to be up and down, and even an active chairman isn?t the same as a CEO.

So until we hear otherwise, I will proceed on the assumption that Steve Jobs will continue to lend his guiding hand until he is simply no longer able.  As it has probably been since his January leave of absence, he’s now more like a proud parent watching his kid bicycle off into the sunset without training wheels - except the kid’s more like a 25-year-old world champion BMX biker who drives a tank to work.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 25 August 2011 02:51 AM #45

Steve Jobs expected to remain on Disney Board after resigning as Apple boss

By Josh Ong

Published: 01:23 AM EST (10:23 PM PST)

According to a person familiar with the matter, Steve Jobs will remain on the board of directors of Walt Disney Co. even after resigning as CEO from Apple.

Bloomberg cited a tipster who said that Jobs’ status on the Disney Board will go unchanged. Jobs joined the company’s board in 2006 as part of the $7.4 billion acquisition of Pixar. He is also the media company’s largest shareholder with a 7.4 percent stake.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/08/25/steve_jobs_expected_to_remain_on_disney_board.html

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before