The Steve Jobs As Chairman, Tim Cook As CEO Topic

Posted: 25 August 2011 03:03 AM #46

AT

I am now seriously debating coming up to Oakland in late Nov. to watch my Bears whip Raider butt.

If I do maybe we can hook up and have Mace join us.

We can have our own aapl 400 party in the Bay Area.smile

And if we are lucky we can go down to Cupwrtino and chat for a few minutes with the new CEO.  Michle. Can hook us up.

Posted: 25 August 2011 03:12 AM #47

I’ve stated most of this before, but here’s my take on how Steve Jobs’s resignation, his continued involvement at Apple, and Tim Cook’s promotion to CEO will affect AAPL:

In the long term, there is a lot we do not know about an Apple without Steve Jobs. We still will benefit from his continuing work as Chairman and Apple employee, but the day will come when we’ll get a better idea of how the market values his vision. He is unquestionably a unique visionary. I guess some people consider this a mere myth, but I believe the mythical Steve Jobs is real and provides value to Apple and AAPL.

We have in Tim Cook a great chief executive for our company. I won’t say “new” leader. It may have been clear to a lot of people that he’d be the next CEO, but now it’s certain. I have a theory that the P/E compression is in part due to market uncertainty over succession.

I now expect P/E compression to reverse, stop, or at least slow down. Depends on how much of a factor succession was, and how much continued uncertainty about Steve Jobs will weigh on valuation. I trust Tim Cook to execute brilliantly, and I have no doubt that financial results will continue to be excellent. But we still face the unique visionary problem, and you can’t divorce vision from valuation.

P.S. buy the dip

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

• Posted: 25 August 2011 03:15 AM #48

Apple II+ - 25 August 2011 06:12 AM

P.S. buy the dip

Agreed.

• Posted: 25 August 2011 03:18 AM #49

adamthompson3232 - 25 August 2011 05:55 AM
    BillH - 25 August 2011 05:33 AM
    Mike in Helsinki - 25 August 2011 05:15 AM

This could be the cue for other execs to leave the stage as well.  Happened at Nokia, other companies.

The only one that concerned me has already left.  I’m hoping one of Tim’s first announcements will be who’s replacing Ron Johnson as head of retail.  Retail continues to be one of the more urgently needed avenues for sustained growth.

Bill,

I agree. Ron Johnson is clearly a stud. But Apple is opening 30 new stores this Q (a 10% overall increase in store count) and I expect that to continue. Just like SJ did for all of Apple, Ron set the vision for these stores, and now someone just needs to apply the cookie cutter. In another few years they’ll all need a refresh but that’s not a big deal as the stores are already so cutting edge and stocked with products nobody else can offer that they’ll be successful even with a monkey running Apple’s retail operations. They just need to open 100 stores or so per quarter (I’m only half kidding) for the next five years or so to satisfy the demand.

On a different note, I’m attending a bachelor party on Saturday night here in SF. Giants game, dinner, club, and then possibly strip club. Perhaps I’ll suggest beer pong at Bar None to cap off the night:)

The tough part about replacing Ron (and for that matter Steve) is their humility as it concerns the customer experience.  Avie can more than look after the evolution of the physical plant.  Speaking of Avie…, would someone PLEASE put him in charge of media events moving forward.  PLEASE!
    On a different note…, good luck getting the lads away from the ladies for a game of beer pong.  :-D Never cared for strippers personally as I was always too cognizant of who was being exploited and it most certainly wasn’t the women.  wink

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 25 August 2011 03:27 AM #50

BillH - 25 August 2011 06:18 AM

The tough part about replacing Ron (and for that matter Steve) is their humility as it concerns the customer experience.  Avie can more than look after the evolution of the physical plant.  Speaking of Avie…, would someone PLEASE put him in charge of media events moving forward.  PLEASE!
    On a different note…, good luck getting the lads away from the ladies for a game of beer pong.  :-D Never cared for strippers personally as I was always too cognizant of who was being exploited and it most certainly wasn’t the women.  wink

Wait wha?  “Avie”?  I fuzzily recall an interim fill-in being named for Ron Johnson but it sure wasn’t “Avie”.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 25 August 2011 03:38 AM #51

Mav - 25 August 2011 06:27 AM
    BillH - 25 August 2011 06:18 AM

Wait wha?  “Avie”?  I fuzzily recall an interim fill-in being named for Ron Johnson but it sure wasn’t “Avie”.

Mav…,you’re reading too fast!  Avie can cover for Ron when it comes to store design input but I wasn’t suggesting he replace Ron.  I’m suggesting he replace Steve on the stage come product announcement time.  Even bad news sounds better wrapped in a British accent.  Can you imagine what good news would sound like?

Signature

Posted: 25 August 2011 03:41 AM #52

Edit:  AH HA!  You meant Jony Ive!  Not Avie Tevanian, who left a while back.

Silly BillH.  wink

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 25 August 2011 03:43 AM #53

Mav - 25 August 2011 06:41 AM

Edit:  AH HA!  You meant Jony Ive!  Not Avie Tevanian, who left a while back.

Silly BillH.  wink

Senior moment…, of course you’re correct…, carry on!

Signature

• Posted: 25 August 2011 03:58 AM #54

I think it also means that iOS 5 is ready. iPhone 5 is ready. And maybe whatever Apple has planned for Q2 (CQ1) is also ready enough.

He is confident enough to take a step back as the biography book is written and design of Apple campus is completed as well.

SJ chose to resign at a time before any leaks (unlike 2008). And some very big good news (launch) is on the way just like Jan’11 huge quarter after medical leave news.

I think this Q1 is going to be mother of all product launches, a big bang. This can be gleaned from rumors and statements from TC himself. Apple will continue to expand market by additional carriers. Address prepaid customer base by some creative solution. iOS 5 and iCloud will make ecosystem extremely sticky. More retail stores internationally. This is based on what we already know much more can happen.

In six months AAPL stock is likely to be at least 25% higher irrespective of the movement in Aug/Sept. If not tomorrow, I am certainly buying more within next two weeks.

I wish him good health forever.

Posted: 25 August 2011 04:39 AM #55

DawnTreader - 25 August 2011 03:30 AM

AFB Advisory: I will close any topics and review all posts that amount to no more or little more than idle speculation about Steve Jobs and his health issues. I expect leadership from all active AFB members and for this community to live it’s reputation as a premier forum for intelligent and informed discussions.

Look, it is silly to ignore the elephant in the room. Let’s be adults here. Jobs didn’t resign because he is feeling great. If anything, not commenting on our sadness at this development is what looks callous.

It’s a tough line to walk. The markets open tomorrow and we have to be ready to defend our portfolios. But the greatest corporate executive in US history could be gravely ill, and I, for one, have wanted to take anti-depressants all day. I make fun of people who were sad at Princess Di’s death, or Michael Jackson’s death, people they have never met, but this really depresses the shit out of me. I’ve been an Apple evangelist longer than I’ve been a stockholder, and I’ve been long almost 20 years.

All the shitbirds in the world, and Steven Jobs, a unique, supreme talent without peer, has to resign for health issues? Sorry, but yeah, I’m going to comment on it, because it’s really bothering me, regardless of my AAPL positions.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 25 August 2011 08:13 AM #56

libranca - 25 August 2011 06:58 AM

I think it also means that iOS 5 is ready. iPhone 5 is ready. And maybe whatever Apple has planned for Q2 (CQ1) is also ready enough.

He is confident enough to take a step back as the biography book is written and design of Apple campus is completed as well.

SJ chose to resign at a time before any leaks (unlike 2008). And some very big good news (launch) is on the way just like Jan’11 huge quarter after medical leave news.

I think this Q1 is going to be mother of all product launches, a big bang. This can be gleaned from rumors and statements from TC himself. Apple will continue to expand market by additional carriers. Address prepaid customer base by some creative solution. iOS 5 and iCloud will make ecosystem extremely sticky. More retail stores internationally. This is based on what we already know much more can happen.

In six months AAPL stock is likely to be at least 25% higher irrespective of the movement in Aug/Sept. If not tomorrow, I am certainly buying more within next two weeks.

I wish him good health forever.

I completely agree - SJ times everything.  When I first heard the news it was clear to me that this quarter is going to have HUGE announcements and will be a blow out.  I’m wondering if they will even say something about what they may do with some of the cash—but if the trend stays the same - all of these types of announcements are followed by outstanding quarters.

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

• Posted: 25 August 2011 08:53 AM #57

JDSoCal - 25 August 2011 07:39 AM

AFB Advisory: I will close any topics and review all posts that amount to no more or little more than idle speculation about Steve Jobs and his health issues. I expect leadership from all active AFB members and for this community to live it’s reputation as a premier forum for intelligent and informed discussions.

Look, it is silly to ignore the elephant in the room. Let’s be adults here. Jobs didn’t resign because he is feeling great. If anything, not commenting on our sadness at this development is what looks callous.

It’s a tough line to walk. The markets open tomorrow and we have to be ready to defend our portfolios. But the greatest corporate executive in US history could be gravely ill, and I, for one, have wanted to take anti-depressants all day. I make fun of people who were sad at Princess Di’s death, or Michael Jackson’s death, people they have never met, but this really depresses the shit out of me. I’ve been an Apple evangelist longer than I’ve been a stockholder, and I’ve been long almost 20 years.

All the shitbirds in the world, and Steven Jobs, a unique, supreme talent without peer, has to resign for health issues? Sorry, but yeah, I’m going to comment on it, because it’s really bothering me, regardless of my AAPL positions.

+1

Posted: 25 August 2011 09:36 AM #58

Lstream - 25 August 2011 11:53 AM

+1

+1

Signature

The more I learn the higher I go,
        The higher I go the more I see;
    The more I see the less I know,
        The less I know the more I’m free.

• Posted: 25 August 2011 11:03 AM #59

Horace almost moved me to tears with this.

http://www.asymco.com/2011/08/25/polymath/

• Posted: 25 August 2011 11:04 AM #60

I, for one, have wanted to take anti-depressants all day.

I’ve had a strange hollow feeling since hearing the news, even though I’ve been expecting an announcement like this for several years.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.