Lenovo $199 IdeaPad A1

• Posted: 01 September 2011 02:23 PM #17

Toshiba’s AT200 tablet

and

ViewSonic ViewPad 7x and 10pro

• Posted: 01 September 2011 03:40 PM #18

willrob - 01 September 2011 05:18 PM

Lenovo $199 IdeaPad A1

I don’t have a Disques account but after reading some of the comments I put this rant into writing… In response to someone suggesting that other manufactures need to undercut Apples price with the same specs.

It can’t happen. The is almost nothing the other manufactures can cut to bring that price down. As it stands they cannot best Apple on a Spec by Spec price war. Go lookup anything about the deals on manufacturing Apple’s been making. They are getting the best prices on the stock components.

You are not going to find a Dell of tablets that can figure out how remove one more screw then needed. What are they going to do? Use less glue to hold the screen together? Any corners they cut will show big time. A poster above grumbled about the SoC this tablet is using. Kinda makes the point. To lower the costs other manufactures have to use cheaper parts, which means worse specs, which likely means worse user experience, which means they aren’t going to make a dent in the iPad.

Apple is “owning” the manufacture side. If there is a price war with spec to spec AND comparable user experience, Apple will win because they have the war chest to cut and take less profit… if that’s even needed.

To “win” someone is going to have to out Apple Apple and do way more with way less, and still deliver a satisfying “Appliance.”

• Posted: 01 September 2011 08:24 PM #19

Lenovo $199 IdeaPad A1

Did you see the comment “...when this thing ships sometime later this year.” Vaporware.

• Posted: 02 September 2011 07:31 PM #20

RonMacGuy - 01 September 2011 11:24 PM

Lenovo $199 IdeaPad A1

Did you see the comment “...when this thing ships sometime later this year.” Vaporware.

I did.  How many times has MSFT announced a “New and wonderful” whatever, to be shipped in about a year.  But they just never state which year they are referring to.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 02 September 2011 08:17 PM #21

Gregg Thurman - 02 September 2011 10:31 PM
    RonMacGuy - 01 September 2011 11:24 PM

Lenovo $199 IdeaPad A1

I did.  How many times has MSFT announced a “New and wonderful” whatever, to be shipped in about a year.  But they just never state which year they are referring to.

So someone is selling a 7” Galaxy Tab in 2012 for $200 and we should be impressed?  There is obviously plenty of folks looking for a good deal so the $200 price point is sweet, but I would think the discounted Touchpad at $99 is a much better deal since both have a vacant app catalog.  They can do the main stuff like mail, twitter, facebook, etc.  so why launch at $200 when HP is building more at $99.  Let’s all lose money to establish that we can gain market share but don’t have a clue how to make profits.

Posted: 03 September 2011 03:31 AM #22

Flummoxed and Fracked.

• Posted: 04 September 2011 01:09 AM #23

Honest to God, I just cannot imagine what the people at HTC were thinking. Competing tablets that are priced at or below the iPad are just being crushed. And HTC comes out with $600 plus tablet that requires a two-year contract. Unbelievable.

The podcasters at Engadget - who would never be accused of being pro-Apple - said that they couldn’t think of any reason why anyone would want to buy this tablet. Pretty damning.

Posted: 04 September 2011 02:39 PM #24

FalKirk - 04 September 2011 04:09 AM

The podcasters at Engadget - who would never be accused of being pro-Apple - said that they couldn’t think of any reason why anyone would want to buy this tablet. Pretty damning.

The podcasters at thisismynext went even further (after avoiding the iPad for much of the conversation) and completely trashed all non-iOS tablets (~1 hr. mark). They identified the main problem as software related, both the OS and apps.

These people are reviewing new tablets nearly every week and they said that going back to using their iPad after the review process was like freedom. Topolsky described it as the difference between “night and day”.

I got the impression that they are reluctant converts to Apple products: iPhone, iPad & MB Air. It’s like they fear peer-pressure; their friends are going to accuse them of being Apple fanboys. But look in their pockets and bags and you’ll find Apple products.

• Posted: 04 September 2011 02:47 PM #25

The comparison of Android tablets and iPad could be referred to as the difference between chicken *#$t and chicken salad.

In a more casual environment that is.

Posted: 04 September 2011 07:59 PM #26

How about Chicken Cordon Bleu?

Heck, even Chicken Caesar?

To compare iPad to what I presume to be the chicken version of tuna salad in that comparison does injustice to iPad (and I like both tuna and chicken salad).

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 04 September 2011 08:06 PM #27

After playing with my new HP Touchpad, I have to say it’s not a finished product.  And may never be now.

1.  It cannot hold a WiFI signal when tethering w/my iPhone (a real pain).
    2.  Hard to edit one’s typing.
    3.  Typing is not as crisp, or fast
    4.  Extra steps to one’s bookmarks (but there may be a better way, yet undiscovered)
    5.  The plastic back, although very nice to touch, is a fingerprint magnet
    6.  Very sparse number of apps, rendering this an extremely limited alternative to iPad.

Posted: 04 September 2011 08:11 PM #28

Drew Bear - 04 September 2011 05:39 PM
    FalKirk - 04 September 2011 04:09 AM

The podcasters at thisismynext went even further (after avoiding the iPad for much of the conversation) and completely trashed all non-iOS tablets (~1 hr. mark). They identified the main problem as software related, both the OS and apps.

These people are reviewing new tablets nearly every week and they said that going back to using their iPad after the review process was like freedom. Topolsky described it as the difference between “night and day”.

I got the impression that they are reluctant converts to Apple products: iPhone, iPad & MB Air. It’s like they fear peer-pressure; their friends are going to accuse them of being Apple fanboys. But look in their pockets and bags and you’ll find Apple products.

Drew, help me out here.  I skipped to the Nook Color section and the sheer ignorance I’m hearing from various commentators is sickening.

Nook Color, a raging success?  By what metric?  Did no one notice the $277 million in Nook hardware/related sales in Barnes & Noble’s quarterly results?  That means that under the most ridiculously unrealistic estimates possible given that number, the Nook Color sold 1 million units in a quarter.  The truth, given the cheap Nook, is probably closer to 500,000 (leaving $120 million or so for media and cheaper Nook sales). 

Oh yeah.  BIG dent in Apple’s grand plans there. 

You know what, that alone makes me not want to listen to the rest of that insipid podcast.  Thanks for the summary of the good stuff, Drew.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 04 September 2011 09:23 PM #29

Mav - 04 September 2011 11:11 PM
    Drew Bear - 04 September 2011 05:39 PM

Drew, help me out here.  I skipped to the Nook Color section and the sheer ignorance I’m hearing from various commentators is sickening.

Nook Color, a raging success?  By what metric?  Did no one notice the $277 million in Nook hardware/related sales in Barnes & Noble’s quarterly results?  That means that under the most ridiculously unrealistic estimates possible given that number, the Nook Color sold 1 million units in a quarter.  The truth, given the cheap Nook, is probably closer to 500,000 (leaving $120 million or so for media and cheaper Nook sales). 

Oh yeah.  BIG dent in Apple’s grand plans there. 

You know what, that alone makes me not want to listen to the rest of that insipid podcast.  Thanks for the summary of the good stuff, Drew.

I agree this group does throw out a lot of ignorant junk. I commented on their ideas on give-it-away-for-free business models last week when they discussed the $99 TouchPad. They are in no way business or stock analysts.

My main point was that despite their ignorance and anti-Apple bias, they use Apple products and do recognize why those products are superior.

• Posted: 04 September 2011 09:57 PM #30

Drew Bear - 05 September 2011 12:23 AM

I agree this group does throw out a lot of ignorant junk. I commented on their ideas on give-it-away-for-free business models last week when they discussed the $99 TouchPad. They are in no way business or stock analysts.

Two points.

First, this ignorant assertion that HP’s $99 fire sale has exposed the “sweet spot” in the market really irks me. For comparison, the Ford Focus sells for $17,000 dollars. Imagine if they had a competitor - we’ll call them HP - that also sold a very poorly put together car for $17,000. Suddenly HP announced that they would be selling their car for $3,400 (20% of the original price) AND that they would no longer be making the car. Once the cars on the lot were gone, they would be no more.

Would anyone but a complete moron suggest that HP had found the “sweet spot” for selling cars? Of course not. All that such a fire sale reveals is how poorly HP is run.

Second, on ThisIsMyNext, they were repeating the extremely questionable report suggesting that Apple had only slightly more than 60% of the tablet market. They were surprised and opined that perhaps this was caused by the report including all tablets including the Kindle, Nook and $99 tablets made in China. I’m not inclined towards cursing, but I have to say that this is complete and utter bullshit.

There is no way in hell that competing tablets have nearly 40% market share. The report is counting SHIPMENTS, not sales. By way of proof I offer these two points. First, a Samsung competitor has stated that Samsung has shipped 1 million tablets, but only sold 20,000. The competitor could be lying, but if true, this is a truly stunningly low number. Second, if anyone were truly selling tablets in significant numbers, they would be shouting it from the rooftops. Notice that NO ONE except Apple is announcing sales numbers. There’s a reason for that.