Day Trading AAPL and other Stocks

Posted: 03 September 2011 07:49 PM

Stupid mistakes I made week before last:

1) Greed/Fear: Did not take (enough) bear profits on SPY @ 113

2) Failed to recognize a Big Trend (reversal) day unfolding

3) Traded NFLX (premature puts!)

Stupid mistakes I made this past week:

1) Clerical: Bought APR’12 bear spreads (put) on AAPL when I meant to sell bull spreads—this from long-habit of doing things on the call side.  Fixed it pronto by rolling one leg, whereupon Mr. Market took his cue and rolled over—leaving me to speculate whether my f*ck-up was an omen.

2) Fear: Didn’t buy nearly enough GLD before the gap up on Friday! :D

Posted: 03 September 2011 09:15 PM #1

lovemyipad - 03 September 2011 10:49 PM

Stupid mistakes I made week before last:

1) Greed/Fear: Did not take (enough) bear profits on SPY @ 113

2) Failed to recognize a Big Trend (reversal) day unfolding

3) Traded NFLX (premature puts!)

Stupid mistakes I made this past week:

1) Clerical: Bought APR’12 bear spreads (put) on AAPL when I meant to sell bull spreads—this from long-habit of doing things on the call side.  Fixed it pronto by rolling one leg, whereupon Mr. Market took his cue and rolled over—leaving me to speculate whether my f*ck-up was an omen.

2) Fear: Didn’t buy nearly enough GLD before the gap up on Friday! :D

did the other thread get closed?

Posted: 04 September 2011 05:08 PM #2

Blah.  Does it really matter?  Not so much.

So, what’s the game plan this week?

I’m thinking…if GLD breaks 190, it’s going parabolic (again).  Until the next margin hike, that is. wink

Posted: 04 September 2011 06:03 PM #3

lovemyipad - 04 September 2011 08:08 PM

I’m thinking…if GLD breaks 190, it’s going parabolic (again).  Until the next margin hike, that is. wink

still my most STUPIDEST trade of 2011 was not buying the GLD when it was at 144.  I waited for it to hit the 100day that it never hit.  I thought I was being ‘smart’. 

You know what would of been smart?  Scaling..

Posted: 04 September 2011 06:32 PM #4

Blaze, IMHO, not too late to scale.  Aggressive shorts will step in near 190.  Aggressive longs will do the same.  Watch and see what happens then.  Consider adding a teeny tiny position on a pullback…one you wouldn’t mind losing or holding underwater for a bit.  OCT or later.  Conversely, if that sucker makes a strong break over 190 (not just 2 seconds), positive feedback loop of buying…bears covering, bulls entering.  Just get the trade on…choo-choo time. wink

Posted: 06 September 2011 02:30 AM #5

P.S. Gold has been a bubble since the beginning of time.  Aside from an occasional pullback, I don’t see it ending anytime soon.

Posted: 07 September 2011 01:28 AM #6

blaze biscuits - 04 September 2011 09:03 PM
    lovemyipad - 04 September 2011 08:08 PM

still my most STUPIDEST trade of 2011 was not buying the GLD when it was at 144.  I waited for it to hit the 100day that it never hit.  I thought I was being ‘smart’. 

You know what would of been smart?  Scaling..

BB, I will take the contrarian view here. I believe GLD has moved out of one of the best looking channels I have ever seen. I believe GLD will retrace below 160 before the end of the year. Just my .02

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 07 September 2011 01:53 AM #7

Gold futures tanking at the moment…

Glad I took 1/2 profits Tuesday morning…though I just couldn’t bring myself to establish bear positions.

Posted: 07 September 2011 02:25 AM #8

lovemyipad - 07 September 2011 04:53 AM

Gold futures tanking at the moment…

Glad I took 1/2 profits Tuesday morning…though I just couldn’t bring myself to establish bear positions.

Love, I added to my position on Friday. The scenario I told you about a while back is till in play in my mind. I have a number in mind, when it is reached I will cash out and flip.

Signature

Posted: 07 September 2011 12:03 PM #9

AT, AT, AT…some wine with your cheese? wink

Posted: 07 September 2011 12:05 PM #10

Bought more GLD…OCT calls.  Couldn’t resist.  Hopefully I can leg into bull spreads quickly and hedge risk…let’s see how far this goes today…

EDIT: hedged…1/4 bear, 3/4 bull…started another nose dive.

EDIT #2: bought lower strike (at lower price) to convert the bear into a bull.  Back to bullish…for now… wink

[ Edited: 07 September 2011 12:43 PM by lovemyipad ]      

Posted: 07 September 2011 02:29 PM #11

I sold my SPY 117/110’s yesterday thinking that 1150 would hold..  Now I bought OCT 111/105’s basically as a hedge against my AAPL Oct Spreads.  I think there is a very good possibility that 120 fails..  I will add more put spreads at 124-ish, should it get up there.

That speech today is the wild card…  that’s why i didn’t add anymore to my SPY puts.  What I have is only to secure my AAPL.

I sold my 370/380’s from yesterday and I bought the same amount (after this third transaction ‘hits’) of 400/410’s, taking dollars off the table and raising the ol’ R/R.  Barring any macro issues and/or serious Iphone5 issues.. I say those spreads should ripen really nice.

I’m looking forward to hanging out in the skype group when I get more time.  I really shouldn’t be doing what I do now..  but I’m addicted to the life.

Hello.. My name is Blaze Biscuits..  and I AM a Stock Market Addict

“HELLO BLAZE!!!”

Posted: 07 September 2011 03:01 PM #12

blaze biscuits - 07 September 2011 05:29 PM

I sold my SPY 117/110’s yesterday thinking that 1150 would hold..  Now I bought OCT 111/105’s basically as a hedge against my AAPL Oct Spreads.  I think there is a very good possibility that 120 fails..  I will add more put spreads at 124-ish, should it get up there.

That speech today is the wild card…  that’s why i didn’t add anymore to my SPY puts.  What I have is only to secure my AAPL.

I sold my 370/380’s from yesterday and I bought the same amount (after this third transaction ‘hits’) of 400/410’s, taking dollars off the table and raising the ol’ R/R.  Barring any macro issues and/or serious Iphone5 issues.. I say those spreads should ripen really nice.

I’m looking forward to hanging out in the skype group when I get more time.  I really shouldn’t be doing what I do now..  but I’m addicted to the life.

Hello.. My name is Blaze Biscuits..  and I AM a Stock Market Addict

“HELLO BLAZE!!!”

Its OK, you are a little twisted like me. Carry on.  LOL

Signature

Posted: 07 September 2011 11:31 PM #13

Unique - 07 September 2011 05:57 PM

Blaze..I believe third time’s the charm…SPX to 1240-1260…inside these 2 weeks..

yeah.. there is a good chance of a fat rally to around that area.  I ended up buying NOV 105/100 put spreads.  I’m not looking for them to make me any money, I’m just looking to have protection to a degree.

I will lay in on the short side around 1250-ish though..

What are your thoughts on Apple going up into OCT OE?

Posted: 07 September 2011 11:32 PM #14

mbeauch - 07 September 2011 06:01 PM

Its OK, you are a little twisted like me. Carry on.  LOL

Yes sir!

Posted: 07 September 2011 11:45 PM #15

What’s everyone think about GLD?  wink  Plenty of extremely risky put and call action to be had there.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.