iPhone Beauty Contest:  You Be the Judge

• Posted: 04 September 2011 08:48 PM

Here’s a string of iPhone mock ups, all on the same stage and referenced for your convenience.  :wink:

Miss California!

[ Edited: 04 September 2011 09:09 PM by ByeTMO ]      
  • Posted: 04 September 2011 08:48 PM #1

Miss New York!

[ Edited: 04 September 2011 08:54 PM by ByeTMO ]      
  • Posted: 04 September 2011 08:50 PM #2

Miss Washington! (Never mind the iPhone 4 tag—she looks good enough to include this year)

[ Edited: 04 September 2011 08:55 PM by ByeTMO ]      
  • Posted: 04 September 2011 08:51 PM #3

Miss Georgia!

• Posted: 04 September 2011 08:52 PM #4

Miss Texas!

• Posted: 04 September 2011 08:52 PM #5

Miss Oregon!

[ Edited: 04 September 2011 08:54 PM by ByeTMO ]      
  • Posted: 04 September 2011 08:53 PM #6

Miss Florida!

• Posted: 04 September 2011 08:59 PM #7

Miss Idaho!  (Good chance for Miss Congeniality)

Posted: 04 September 2011 09:06 PM #8

The first concept is looking closest to the rumor consensus, or possibly “common sense”, since Apple might be looking for an easier way of app switching for iPhone 5 by including a touch-sensitive Home button (though I’d be fine with the multi-touch screen chords as demoed on iPads).

I continue to believe Apple won’t tick off case makers - and compromise the usability of its own products - by radically minimizing bezels.  The bezel might be a little thinner than the iPhone 4 (for example, my Speck Pixel HD case has “room” for that kind of adjustment), but trying to eliminate it would be a bad idea.  The “picture frame” still has its place on smartphones.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 04 September 2011 09:09 PM #9

Mav - 05 September 2011 12:06 AM

The first concept is looking closest to the rumor consensus, or possibly “common sense”, since Apple might be looking for an easier way of app switching for iPhone 5 by including a touch-sensitive Home button (though I’d be fine with the multi-touch screen chords as demoed on iPads).

I continue to believe Apple won’t tick off case makers - and compromise the usability of its own products - by radically minimizing bezels.  The bezel might be a little thinner than the iPhone 4 (for example, my Speck Pixel HD case has “room” for that kind of adjustment), but trying to eliminate it would be a bad idea.  The “picture frame” still has its place on smartphones.

Ah, Miss California.  Shapely, blonde and thin.  Nice choice, Mav.

Posted: 04 September 2011 09:15 PM #10

Your words, not mine.  I just said iPhone Concept #1.  raspberry

I’d prefer my iPhone not be TOO thin.  But since even Jony Ive and Steve Jobs know that something the thickness of a sheet of paper can only be so durable LOL, I’ll reserve judgment until the unicorn iPhone 5 finally makes an appearance.  I’d almost prefer the iPhone 5 to be similar to the iPhone 4 in design, which has unbelievable build quality.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 04 September 2011 09:20 PM #11

I like Miss Oregon….thinner with steel back.

Posted: 04 September 2011 09:26 PM #12

A sleek concept, but

(1) I don’t see Apple going back to slider switches for volume, because the whole world is fixated on “the Camera Button”...and why’d the ring/silent switch lose the slider?,

(2) The last time Apple made any visible concessions to improving signal strength and reception in the form of a plastic cut-out, it was with the first iPhone (for iPhone 3G/S, it was more like a “feature”), and

(3) Maybe you meant anodized aluminum back, because that’s what the concept art guy is clearly getting at? 

Don’t get me wrong.  I’d be a big fan of this design too (the steel band/inner frame lends a crazy amount of solidity to the iPhone 4), but I don’t remember the last time Apple mixed up aluminum and steel in the exterior of any Apple product.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 04 September 2011 09:31 PM #13

Mav - 05 September 2011 12:26 AM

Don’t get me wrong.  I’d be a big fan of this design too (the steel band/inner frame lends a crazy amount of solidity to the iPhone 4), but I don’t remember the last time Apple mixed up aluminum and steel in the exterior of any Apple product.

I meant to say metal—stainless with aluminum, as depicted.

Posted: 04 September 2011 09:39 PM #14

Let’s go with Liquidmetal - the Terminator iPhone.  :evilsanta:

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 04 September 2011 09:40 PM #15

Hoping those all metal designs are using the fancy liquid metal tech apple bought rights to use a while back.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics