A Big Apple Finance Board Milestone

• Posted: 04 September 2011 11:02 PM

This week the AFB will surpass one quarter of a million posts. It’s been a good ten years and I’m looking forward to the future of this community.

As we reach and surpass this milestone, what do you, the active members of this community, envision for the next ten years?

How does the Apple Finance Board remain relevant in this era of social networking sites, the so-called “Web 2.0” environment and an age in which blogging has proliferated?

What most attracts readers to the community and what is the best way the Apple Finance Board can serve the hundreds of millions of Apple product owners and product enthusiasts around the world?

[ Edited: 05 September 2011 02:34 PM by DawnTreader ]      
  • Posted: 04 September 2011 11:03 PM #1

This is a reminder US markets are closed Monday for Labor Day. The new intraday updates topic for the week will debut tomorrow around noon.

Posted: 04 September 2011 11:44 PM #2

Half of them were Mav’s. grin

Bravo!

Posted: 04 September 2011 11:46 PM #3

That’s harsh stuff, man.

Even if I have gotten a lot more active in AFB lately.

Random thoughts, comments and suggestions to follow, DT.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 04 September 2011 11:47 PM #4

ChasMac77 - 05 September 2011 02:44 AM

Bravo!

Actually, you haven’t done bad yourself.  grin

Back to the questions:

What do members envision for the next ten years?

Posted: 04 September 2011 11:52 PM #5

Mav - 05 September 2011 02:46 AM

That’s harsh stuff, man.

Always enjoy your posts and input, keep it up.

• Posted: 05 September 2011 12:03 AM #6

DawnTreader - 05 September 2011 02:47 AM

Bravo!

Back to the questions:

Me?

More reading than posting.

Posted: 05 September 2011 12:05 AM #7

DawnTreader - 05 September 2011 02:47 AM

Bravo!

Back to the questions:

I doubt any of us could have foretold the previous 10 years, much less 10 years into the future.  The tech world is a significantly different place today than it was in 2001.  I suspect more of the same 10 years from now. . . what that might look like I haven’t given much thought.  But I think I shall ponder it this next week.

BTW, congrats on the milestone.  8-)

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 05 September 2011 12:07 AM #8

ChasMac77 - 05 September 2011 02:52 AM
    Mav - 05 September 2011 02:46 AM

That’s harsh stuff, man.

Always enjoy your posts and input, keep it up.

I enjoy Mav’s input and leadership as well. Please keep it up. In the early days Mace was much more involved in the AFB as an active poster and in the years since other members have stepped up to the plate.

Mav, thank you for all that you bring to the AFB.  grin

• Posted: 05 September 2011 12:08 AM #9

Play Ultimate - 05 September 2011 03:05 AM

BTW, congrats on the milestone.  8-)

The milestone belongs to all of the active members, past and present. The AFB has evolved over time from its early days and has emerged as the premier forum in the TMO community.

• Posted: 05 September 2011 12:15 AM #10

Here’s a link to the first page of AFB posts dating back to 2001. Things have come a long way in ten years.  grin

Posted: 05 September 2011 12:25 AM #11

Thanks for the kind words.  I was only half-joking there, Chas.  raspberry For a while I was fairly inactive on TMO.  Somewhere along the way I got “supercharged” and posted my way up to where you’d expect an almost-8-year forum member to be.  Until my interest in AAPL and price targets and estimates wanes, I don’t see that changing.

So get used to it! :evilsanta:

Ahem.  wink

Ah, the archives.  Never did chat with iBrotha, sadly.  I hope Macette (any relation, Mace? raspberry LOL) kept the 20 (would be 40 if retained) shares of AAPL she got all those years ago.  It’d be something like a 35-bagger!

Still processing comments and suggestions…

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 05 September 2011 12:39 AM #12

DawnTreader - 05 September 2011 03:15 AM

Here’s a link to the first page of AFB posts dating back to 2001. Things have come a long way in ten years.  grin

I see you were forecasting $50 before end of 2002, DT. But it took another two years to get there. Do we need to add two years to your current forecasts?

As regards the future, what interests me is the way Apple is creating the new world economy. So many businesses and employment categories are being swept away by technology. We are in the midst of very rapid change, and this “recession” we are in can be considered as largely the falling away of obsolescent businesses and business practices. (HP’s PC business, Nokia, RIM, bricks and mortar retailers etc)

How will we make payments in ten years? Where will we keep our data? How will we earn a living? (don’t worry - most of today’s jobs didn’t exist 50 years ago).

[ Edited: 05 September 2011 12:41 AM by sleepygeek ]      
  • Posted: 05 September 2011 01:04 AM #13

sleepygeek - 05 September 2011 03:39 AM

I see you were forecasting $50 before end of 2002, DT. But it took another two years to get there. Do we need to add two years to your current forecasts?

As regards the future, what interests me is the way Apple is creating the new world economy. So many businesses and employment categories are being swept away by technology. We are in the midst of very rapid change, and this “recession” we are in can be considered as largely the falling away of obsolescent businesses and business practices. (HP’s PC business, Nokia, RIM, bricks and mortar retailers etc)

How will we make payments in ten years? Where will we keep our data? How will we earn a living? (don’t worry - most of today’s jobs didn’t exist 50 years ago).

I hope it doesn’t take another two years to reach my target!  LOL

You bring up a good point. How best can the AFB meet the needs of readers?  There are many different types and styles of resources available.

Posted: 05 September 2011 01:10 AM #14

Just thought of it - have you considered leveraging TMO for occasional columns about AAPL?  Not like it’d be all that difficult - you already write the material, it’s just a matter of re-posting or cross-linking to Posts At Eventide or SeekingAlpha.

Wondering if you and Bryan or other TMO editors have ever discussed it. 

On a kinda-related note, I’m curious how Bryan and those who “bankroll” TMO view us here in the AFB forums from a pure dollars-and-cents perspective.  Do we offset our bandwidth usage with ad income and more TMO visitors?  How do we fit into (or mess with) TMO’s business model?

[ Edited: 05 September 2011 01:14 AM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 05 September 2011 01:25 AM #15

I think Falkirk was posting as Sarcasticus way back when but the topic was the implausibility of iMac LCD’s rather than Apple TV’s.  No matter how much things change...

(just needling you Falkirk)  :innocent:

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!