AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

• Posted: 05 September 2011 04:09 PM

Back to the battle…

[ Edited: 07 September 2011 11:24 PM by DawnTreader ]      

Posted: 05 September 2011 04:18 PM #1

The eternal battle.

You know my recent deal about how I wish Apple’s iPhone 5 announcement (sometime, right?) would outrun bad news?

Well, here in the US we have Tropical Storm Lee and the Texas wildfires, and over in Europe the same old debt contagion fears are striking again.  Y’know, we just “got over” the August trough…

I’m not worried at the moment, but if you’re a trader trying to establish long positions in AAPL, these are very, very trying times.  (Obviously, moreso if you hold shorter-dated calls.) 

AAPL will get dragged around with the market until a media invite and announcement.  I only hope it’s this month.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 05 September 2011 04:28 PM #2

Mav - 05 September 2011 07:18 PM

The eternal battle.

You know my recent deal about how I wish Apple’s iPhone 5 announcement (sometime, right?) would outrun bad news?

Well, here in the US we have Tropical Storm Lee and the Texas wildfires, and over in Europe the same old debt contagion fears are striking again.  Y’know, we just “got over” the August trough…

I’m not worried at the moment, but if you’re a trader trying to establish long positions in AAPL, these are very, very trying times.  (Obviously, moreso if you hold shorter-dated calls.) 

AAPL will get dragged around with the market until a media invite and announcement.  I only hope it’s this month.

How about a U.S. banking industry that was too big to fail so we threw a king’s ransom in lifelines and now, 3 years later, the government is suing them?

It seems the stock market would do better if congress just stayed on vacation…

Signature

Study the natural order of things and work with it rather than against it…  ? Tao Te Ching

Posted: 05 September 2011 06:23 PM #3

I plan to make lemonade from lemons.

• Posted: 05 September 2011 06:50 PM #4

jjjz - 05 September 2011 07:28 PM

The eternal battle.

How about a U.S. banking industry that was too big to fail so we threw a king’s ransom in lifelines and now, 3 years later, the government is suing them?

I read on one blog that ING already settled for .20 on the dollar-although I haven’t been able to find any other mention on the internet.  If everyone is going to be settling for .20 on the dollar this seems more like a ‘fine’ clearing the banks of any future government action.

• Posted: 05 September 2011 06:55 PM #5

lovemyipad - 05 September 2011 09:23 PM

I’m in Apple long-I was hoping to make Apple Pie.

It’s hard to tell from here (it will be hard to tell at 9:30 tomorrow)-but we could open lower and recover by midday.

I’m guessing (hoping) there are a few investors/countries waiting to come to Europe’s rescue-they’re just waiting for the right time to step up to the plate ($$).  OPEC countries have too much money in Europe to lose it (Quatar has been in talks).

The DOW is currently down 235 in pre-market trading (6:00 PM).

[ Edited: 05 September 2011 07:13 PM by kevinhernandez ]      

Posted: 05 September 2011 07:21 PM #6

kevinhernandez - 05 September 2011 09:55 PM

I’m in Apple long-I was hoping to make Apple Pie.

My favorite. smile

Posted: 05 September 2011 07:22 PM #7

Short something!

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 05 September 2011 07:25 PM #8

The eternal battle.

Isn’t that something? Our government is telling banks that they need to increase reserves and comply with Basel III. So our banks aren’t lending so as to increase their reserves in order to comply. However, our government is also suing our banks with the hopes of capturing some money for the government sponsored entities of Fannie and Freddie. The lawsuit admits that neither Freddie or Fannie performed their due diligence by checking the quality of the loan portfolios they purchased and had rated by independent ratings agencies (S&P, Fitch and Moody), but that aside, our banks must set aside money they could be lending as a reserve against potential losses. Never mind that most of our collateralizations originated from Fannie and Freddie using the same standards of practices as our banks…

Anyway, everybody knows that in order for recovery and prosperity to return to our nation, our banks must fully participate. Now we add that our large banks have 52 regulators who are adding new, and as-of-yet undefined bank regulations and we have a group of banks who are only willing to lend to tier 1 FICO scores (760-850) because they are unwilling to risk capital on more risky ventures like most of American commerce.

The takeaway is that if merely the banking industry was given some clarity so that they could develop a new business plan in our new regulatory environment, our economy would get a much needed kick in the pants by our banks newfound willingness to lend to riskier ventures.

Banking analyst Richard Bov? explains the problem of the government and banking sector beginning at 1:05 at the video on this link: http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000043581

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 05 September 2011 08:45 PM #9

Eric Landstrom - 05 September 2011 10:22 PM

Short something!

Yeah, let’s really drive a stake through the heart of the stock market tomorrow.  Extremely welcome advice.  Thanks!  rolleyes

Posted: 05 September 2011 08:45 PM #10

Eric Landstrom - 05 September 2011 10:25 PM

The eternal battle.

Isn’t that something? Our government is telling banks that they need to increase reserves and comply with Basel III. So our banks aren’t lending so as to increase their reserves in order to comply. However, our government is also suing our banks with the hopes of capturing some money for the government sponsored entities of Fannie and Freddie. The lawsuit admits that neither Freddie or Fannie performed their due diligence by checking the quality of the loan portfolios they purchased and had rated by independent ratings agencies (S&P, Fitch and Moody), but that aside, our banks must set aside money they could be lending as a reserve against potential losses. Never mind that most of our collateralizations originated from Fannie and Freddie using the same standards of practices as our banks…

Anyway, everybody knows that in order for recovery and prosperity to return to our nation, our banks must fully participate. Now we add that our large banks have 52 regulators who are adding new, and as-of-yet undefined bank regulations and we have a group of banks who are only willing to lend to tier 1 FICO scores (760-850) because they are unwilling to risk capital on more risky ventures like most of American commerce.

The takeaway is that if merely the banking industry was given some clarity so that they could develop a new business plan in our new regulatory environment, our economy would get a much needed kick in the pants by our banks newfound willingness to lend to riskier ventures.

Banking analyst Richard Bov? explains the problem of the government and banking sector beginning at 1:05 at the video on this link: http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000043581

Sounds like a great time for a newcomer to enter the banking market and disrupt the crap out of it.

If only I knew of an american company that had huge cash reserves and was a brand trusted by consumers…

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 05 September 2011 08:47 PM #11

And you’re generous enough to share your recipe. Please don’t stop letting us know what you’re up to. Even though I haven’t been in position to act on all your ideas, they’re critical to my learning process.

Posted: 05 September 2011 09:21 PM #12

Hah….....  gold back to 1900+

Futures look grim so expect some rotten apples tomorrow.

Dr. Venkman summed it up:  “Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”

Short the market…......  short aapl….......  short your granny making it to her next birthday!  rolleyes

JohnG

Posted: 05 September 2011 09:34 PM #13

The 50 day MA is sure to be broken tomorrow ($370.57) so what do folks see as the next level of support? Anyone brave (or dumb) enough to buy the dip tomorrow? At what price level will you be tempted?

Posted: 05 September 2011 09:41 PM #14

Prazan - 06 September 2011 12:34 AM

Anyone brave (or dumb) enough to buy the dip tomorrow?

Me!  smile

Dumb ... brave ... pick your poison.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

• Posted: 05 September 2011 09:52 PM #15

Would this lemonade be with lemons (SPY puts) you’re already in possession of or are you saying you’ll go short tomorrow and then later benefit from it? 

In a situation like this where the market is clearly expected to open much lower, I’ve always found its very difficult to “get in”.  A couple of times I’ve tried to jump in the falling market by shorting, only to get burned when It reverses on me.  I’m gun shy about shorting when it seems too easy (as it appears now).

Just wondering how you would play it if you didn’t already have your short position?