Thoughts on the death of Flash

• Posted: 15 September 2011 05:35 PM

Steve Jobs explained in his open letter “Thoughts on Flash” that Flash was proprietary, bad for battery life, a security risk, and unreliable.

Ever since, Apple haters have said that Apple hates Adobe, hates the open web, is anti-competitive and only doing this to fence off Flash games and force consumers to buy iOS Apps.

As a direct result of Apple’s rejection of Flash, many of Apple’s competitors rushed to support Flash in order to gain a significant point of differentiation. Not only did competitors rush to support a dying standard, their products suffered as a result.

Today Microsoft IE lead Dean Hachamovitch announced the following:

Running Metro style IE plug-in free improves battery life as well as security, reliability, and privacy for consumers. Plug-ins were important early on in the web?s history. But the web has come a long way since then with HTML5. Providing compatibility with legacy plug-in technologies would detract from, rather than improve, the consumer experience of browsing in the Metro style UI.

I wonder how the Apple haters are gong to spin this.

Posted: 15 September 2011 07:17 PM #1

Clearly Microsoft is wrong.

It is a joint conspiracy between Apple, Microsoft and the Illuminati. Only Google stands in the way of the forces of evil.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 15 September 2011 09:53 PM #2

Of course Google supports Flash. It’s OPEN!

Oh, wait….

• Posted: 16 September 2011 11:35 AM #3

Intruder - 15 September 2011 10:17 PM

Clearly Microsoft is wrong.

It is a joint conspiracy between Apple, Microsoft and the Illuminati. Only Google stands in the way of the forces of evil.

Yep. And the really weird thing is to see Google, the defender of everything “open” and web-based, defend a proprietary non-standard plugin which they have no part in as if their lives depended on it!

It would seem that the war against Apple makes for strange bed fellows.

Signature

Not an insider - not an outsider. Just right in the middle of it all.

• Posted: 16 September 2011 12:09 PM #4

adamthompson3232 - 15 September 2011 10:53 PM

$50 says Bosco is developing in flash in 5 years hoping for a return to flash’s glory days even while no platforms support it any longer.

I was thinking along these lines myself.

With this announcement I see a complete collapse of web designers using Flash from here on out.  Current projects may be completed, but no new ones will be undertaken using it.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 16 September 2011 12:21 PM #5

I wonder how the Apple haters are gong to spin this.

Something along the line of “Yeah, well trying playing the Flash game MegaDeath 2011 in HTML5 it won’t work!” or “The lack of Flash was then only thing keeping from me from buying an iPad2, now I won’t be buying a Metro tablet either. Give me a Slamslung Mergatroid so that I can play games.”

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 16 September 2011 12:30 PM #6

The real problem isn’t new flash content but legacy cruff (especially in the education arena) that will never be touched again. You can already see it with tons of Shockwave based applets.

What I personally hope is developers will finally stop building basic UI like drop down menus in Flash. I’ve run into far to many sites that build such basic UI in Flash rather needlessly and gratuitously.

Posted: 16 September 2011 01:03 PM #7

Gregg Thurman - 16 September 2011 03:09 PM
    adamthompson3232 - 15 September 2011 10:53 PM

$50 says Bosco is developing in flash in 5 years hoping for a return to flash’s glory days even while no platforms support it any longer.

I was thinking along these lines myself.

With this announcement I see a complete collapse of web designers using Flash from here on out.  Current projects may be completed, but no new ones will be undertaken using it.

I think Adobe will adapt their wares and continue to provide web developers with support for converting their applications to the new HTML 5 standards.  Products like the Flash Streaming Server 4.5 and Edge are laying the ground work so that web developers are still using an adobe toolset to build their Applications.  As far as Flash Player, I agree it’s days are numbered.

Posted: 16 September 2011 01:04 PM #8

The real problem isn?t new flash content but legacy cruff (especially in the education arena) that will never be touched again. You can already see it with tons of Shockwave based applets.

Oh yeah! But then we pay a tidy sum for tuition and textbooks.

And yes, the horrid Flash navigation. I wouldn’t be so rabidly anti Flash if it was just content video.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 16 September 2011 01:12 PM #9

Sir Harry Flashman - 16 September 2011 03:21 PM

Give me a Slamslung Mergatroid so ...”

Well, from what I hear the Mergatroid will be a really good looking piece of hardware. A real iPad Beater.
    LOL

(Vaporware always looks better than what’s available.)

As far as Flash, this areticle last week
    http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/adobe_delivers_flash_video_to_iphone_ipad/
    makes me wonder if Adobe had advanced warning.

As I understand it, Adobe Flash Media Server, will allow sites to continue to use Flash video but the server will push it out to non-Flash devices as an HTTP Live Stream. At the time I figured that it was a response to the overwhelming popularity of iOS devices. Now I wonder if they knew that MS was also dropping Flash Support in IE10.

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

Posted: 16 September 2011 01:27 PM #10

As it turns out, “write once, run anywhere” is unspeakably inefficient code UNLESS programmers optimize the hell out of it.  Sounds like…Java!

How do I know?  I’m on a modern multicore system and Flash (when I choose to turn it out) _still_ hasn’t caught up with the times.  Stutters?  Making my browser even a little slower?

Yeah, should work fantastic on mobile devices.  You figure when even Microsoft is figuring it out (maybe for its own proprietary reasons, who knows)...well, there’s a good reason why Adobe is shifting strategy.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 16 September 2011 01:52 PM #11

geoduck - 16 September 2011 04:12 PM
    Sir Harry Flashman - 16 September 2011 03:21 PM

Give me a Slamslung Mergatroid so ...”

Well, from what I hear the Mergatroid will be a really good looking piece of hardware. A real iPad Beater.

I’m not proud of this. But to be perfectly honest, if they ever did put out a Slamslung Mergatroid, I would feel compelled to go and check it out.

Posted: 16 September 2011 02:07 PM #12

I?m not proud of this. But to be perfectly honest, if they ever did put out a Slamslung Mergatroid, I would feel compelled to go and check it out.

Heavens to Mergatroid!

Signature

Posted: 16 September 2011 02:17 PM #13

I got slam sung mergatroid once but a little penicillin fixed me right up

• Posted: 16 September 2011 02:23 PM #14

eric in Austin - 16 September 2011 05:17 PM

Ha! When I read that joke I just had to clap.  :wink:

• Posted: 16 September 2011 02:27 PM #15

FalKirk - 16 September 2011 05:23 PM
    eric in Austin - 16 September 2011 05:17 PM

Ha! When I read that joke I just had to clap.  :wink:

You have the clap?

Signature

The measure of the worth of a product is how much people are willing to pay for it, not how many people will buy it if the price is low enough.