Thoughts on the death of Flash

Posted: 16 September 2011 02:36 PM #16

“You have the clap?”

It is wireless control feature, uses the devise’s built in microphone. Clap twice to turn stop/start a Flash video.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 16 September 2011 02:52 PM #17

Sir Harry Flashman - 16 September 2011 05:36 PM

“You have the clap?”

It is wireless control feature, uses the devise’s built in microphone. Clap twice to turn stop/start a Flash video.

Harry, Would you be a descendent of King Henry VIII?  :  )

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 16 September 2011 03:32 PM #18

Harry, Would you be a descendent of King Henry VIII?

No, I come from Guy of Wyse.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 16 September 2011 03:53 PM #19

Garion - 16 September 2011 02:35 PM

It would seem that the war against Apple makes for strange bed fellows.

That war, sure.

Likewise for the “war on Google,” waged a few weeks ago by Apple, Microsoft, and Oracle. Now THEM’S strange bedfellows.

Posted: 16 September 2011 04:39 PM #20

I’m wondering what happens to Flash now.

Flash has two sides: vector-based animation and multimedia development. While Multimedia Development has been the focus of the public and publisher for a long time, the vector-based animation side of the equation caused something of a Renaissance in TV animation: It allowed cartoons to be shared in the days before hardware video encoding and broadband internet, and that experience brought Flash in as a cost-effective animation production system.

Yet that side of the software has been given little love for over a decade, in favor of the cross-platform multimedia development. In fact, Flash is rapidly losing ground to ToonBoom, which makes a Flash-based animation system that has been catering to the needs of artists and animators that Flash leaves behind.

And now Flash has completely misread the mobile/touch market, and lost the biggest market for their cross-platform strategy. Flash might still survive as an interface builder by moving away from the SWF format in favor of open source features. That might be the nail in the coffin as an animation platform though.

Too bad… ToonBoom Animate is so nice to use, but freaking expensive.

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

• Posted: 16 September 2011 06:15 PM #21

Sir Harry Flashman - 16 September 2011 04:04 PM

The real problem isn?t new flash content but legacy cruff (especially in the education arena) that will never be touched again. You can already see it with tons of Shockwave based applets.

Oh yeah! But then we pay a tidy sum for tuition and textbooks.

Sorry, I should be clear. I mean K-12 eduction where an undecent number of “EdTech” providers and sites are still mainly based in Shockwave. I almost never had to deal with anything Shcckwave related until I stared working in K-12. Much of it is either companies just sitting on old work squeezing more money out of it long past it’s reasonable life, or individual educator sites built on grant money and who’s creator is no longer around. And don’t get me started on how much text book publishers and test writing companies have been bilking out of K-12.

The biggest problem is the Shockwave plugin doesn’t like playing nice with 64-bit browsers. With IE switching 64-bit you can go look up people complaining about this.

Sir Harry Flashman - 16 September 2011 04:04 PM

And yes, the horrid Flash navigation. I wouldn’t be so rabidly anti Flash if it was just content video.

I am not seeing sarcasm tags so I assume we agree. There are some very visually pretty Flash based front ends but I’m mainly talking about rather simplistic Tab and drop down menus. Both of which should be done in HTML/CSS or at the extreme JavaScript. The menu bar at the top of this page is an example of what I’m bitching at. Take the iobserver link/button and related menu, now needless build all of that in Flash. Why? Why would someone build something like that in Flash as the only way to navigate a site, not even a minimalistic site map.

Anything that will kick that crutch out of lazy lowbrow developers hands is a boon to the Web.

Posted: 16 September 2011 07:06 PM #22

Wonderful thoughts guys! But it doesn’t look like anyone quite hit the mark in the haste to declare Steve Jobs the winner in a mortifying game of “who will outlive the other”. Adobe clarified things today.

Rundown:
    1. Browser in Metro mode of both x86 and ARM devices will not play Flash.
    2. Browser in Desktop mode of both x86 and ARM device will play Flash.
    3. Flash apps can be compiled via AIR as apps for Metro mode of both x86 and ARM devices.
    3a. These apps will have fewer restrictions than AIR apps compiled for iOS. For example, these AIR apps compiled for Metro will be able to download and execute code from the Internet.

Points 3 and 3a are the factors you should be considering in your death watch. Carry on.

• Posted: 16 September 2011 10:20 PM #23

westech - 16 September 2011 05:27 PM
    FalKirk - 16 September 2011 05:23 PM
    eric in Austin - 16 September 2011 05:17 PM

I got slam sung mergatroid once but a little penicillin fixed me right up

Ha! When I read that joke I just had to clap.  :wink:

You have the clap?

Perhaps my humor was too subtle. I thought the emoticon would clue you in. Oh well. Genius is never recognized in it’s own time.

Yes, I was attempting to refer to the Clap.

• Posted: 16 September 2011 10:31 PM #24

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 16 September 2011 10:06 PM

Wonderful thoughts guys! But it doesn’t look like anyone quite hit the mark in the haste to declare Steve Jobs the winner in a mortifying game of “who will outlive the other”. Adobe clarified things today.

Rundown:
    1. Browser in Metro mode of both x86 and ARM devices will not play Flash.
    2. Browser in Desktop mode of both x86 and ARM device will play Flash.
    3. Flash apps can be compiled via AIR as apps for Metro mode of both x86 and ARM devices.
    3a. These apps will have fewer restrictions than AIR apps compiled for iOS. For example, these AIR apps compiled for Metro will be able to download and execute code from the Internet.

Points 3 and 3a are the factors you should be considering in your death watch. Carry on.

Brad, you just don’t get it, do you.

First, I don’t appreciate the not so subtle reference to Steve Jobs’ health. Hate the man all you want, but don’t make fun of him dying. Have a modicum of decency or if that’s too much to ask then just fake it.

Second, as usual, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Steve Jobs has never had a war against Flash. Flash has always worked on the Mac. He just didn’t include it on the iPhone and the iPad and guess why not? Not because he hated it or had a vendetta against it. It just doesn’t work well on mobile products.

And surprise, surprise, Microsoft agrees!

So let’s reiterate:

1) Flash runs on all Mac products.
    2) Flash doesn’t run well on mobile products.
    3) Apple did not permit Flash to run on their mobile products. Because it doesn’t run well. (See point number 2, above.)
    4) Microsoft did not permit Flash to run on their mobile products either. Because it doesn’t run well. (See point number 2, above.)
    5) Soon Flash will disappear from all mobile products. Because it doesn’t run well. (See point number 2, above.)

Point number 2 is the factor you should be considering in your death watch. Carry on.

Posted: 16 September 2011 10:34 PM #25

Haha Harry on the Slamsung Mergatroid. Append this after you closing Mac hater statement. “I HATE MAC”.  There’s one of those about every 4th line of comments

Signature

pbg

Posted: 16 September 2011 11:23 PM #26

[ Edited: 16 September 2011 11:29 PM by ChasMac77 ]      

Posted: 16 September 2011 11:52 PM #27

FalKirk: Your points 4 and 5 are deliberate misrepresentations and wholly untrue, as are your points 2 and 3. EU regulators ensured that Flash API would be available for developers of iOS products to use, and a recent #1 in the games category was made with Flash. I know this is a big request for the Einsteins on this board, but maybe read up a little on what Flash actually is before celebrating its death. Most of you consistently demonstrate near zero knowledge of the object of your hatred.

• Posted: 17 September 2011 12:19 AM #28

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 17 September 2011 02:52 AM

FalKirk: Your points 4 and 5 are deliberate misrepresentations and wholly untrue, as are your points 2 and 3. EU regulators ensured that Flash API would be available for developers of iOS products to use, and a recent #1 in the games category was made with Flash. I know this is a big request for the Einsteins on this board, but maybe read up a little on what Flash actually is before celebrating its death. Most of you consistently demonstrate near zero knowledge of the object of your hatred.

It’s not a Flash game. It’s translated from Flash. As a developer, you’d probably know that there’s a big difference.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/11/05/02/hulu.blocked.facebook.most.popular.destination/

You wont’ be able to find a single instance of Flash on the iPhone or iPad (or on the Microsoft’s mobile products either). All my points are valid even if you refuse to acknowledge them.

Go ahead, Brad. Live in your fantasy world. Flash is going away. Even Adobe knows it.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2011/08/adobe-quietly-surrenders-steve-jobs-builds-flash-alternative/40669/

And why the hell are you supporting a proprietary standard like Flash anyway? I thought you were the champion of “open”. You have no principles except one. You’d support anything that you viewed as being anti-Apple.

• Posted: 17 September 2011 12:24 AM #29

[ Edited: 19 September 2011 12:47 AM by John Molloy ]

Signature

Posted: 17 September 2011 01:10 AM #30

In your haste to stir up the death cult, FalKirk and rattuk, you have failed to consider how Flash embedded on a website could indeed run under Metro. Let me spell that out for you.

The web server could detect that the Metro browser is accessing the site and offer an alternative link to a native application either on Metro or the Desktop. User clicks the link, Flash player opens, Flash animation or game is played. Metro browser will have a URL scheme registration and binding system. There are too many things like dialers, Skype, and assorted third party apps that have custom schemes to avoid that.

rattyuk, after more than a year of this, you’re still pretty clueless about what Flash is. You’re the one who does not get it. You’re also the one who is against making software development accessible to more people. As a software developer who can code expertly in numerous high and low level languages (even optimized AltiVec graphics code at one point), you’d think I wouldn’t want competition from people who didn’t get an MS in computer science. But I welcome their ideas and perspectives. And I think tools like Flash that make coding of real applications accessible to designers and the like are just amazing.  It’s how I felt almost 25 years ago about HyperCard, and the possibilities it opened to people who hadn’t been formally trained in Pascal. I am flummoxed that Apple fans, of all people, have become the snobby elitists about how code should be written. You lost the dream and the plot.