Google working on a Flipboard clone.

• Posted: 16 September 2011 09:02 AM

Kara Swisher, over at All things D is reporting that Google, having made an offer to buy Flipboard and got turned down, are about to release a Flipboard clone.

Earlier today, well-known digerati dude Robert Scoble posted on his social feed on Google+ that the search giant was working on a social and news reader.

?I heard from someone working with Google that Google is working on a Flipboard competitor for both Android and iPad,? posted Scoble. ?My source says that the versions he?s seen so far are mind-blowing good.?

If blowing the minds of hot Silicon Valley start-up Flipboard and Facebook is the goal, then Scooby-Don?t’s rumor is pretty spot-on.

According to numerous sources close to the situation, Google is indeed working on rolling out the new product, which is currently called Propeller.

It seems to me that Google have been doing this a lot lately. Trying to buy new startups and then when refused, and they seem to be getting ferruled a lot more these days, churning out a clone. Is this not the sort of thing that Microsoft got into trouble for back in the day? Seems like an abuse of all that cash they have. Can’t they do something, anything, that doesn’t borrow heavily from someone else?

Kara is getting more and more kinda bitchy these days but the article can be read Here.

Signature

• Posted: 16 September 2011 10:56 AM #1

rattyuk - 16 September 2011 12:02 PM

Kara Swisher, over at All things D is reporting that Google, having made an offer to buy Flipboard and got turned down, are about to release a Flipboard clone.

It seems to me that Google have been doing this a lot lately. Trying to buy new startups and then when refused, and they seem to be getting ferruled a lot more these days, churning out a clone. Is this not the sort of thing that Microsoft got into trouble for back in the day? Seems like an abuse of all that cash they have.

Well, Google’s constant efforts to clone everyone else MIGHT be viewed as anti-competitive IF they weren’t so unsuccessful at it. Time and time again, Google starts these projects, goes 80% of the way towards completion, adds no polish or finish, then loses interest and lets the product rot on the vine. One weird company.

The difference between Microsoft and Google is that Microsoft was a mean spirited, vindictive brat. If they saw you playing with a cool toy, they wanted to build a toy that would CRUSH your toy. Google is like two ADHD kids with a huge trust fund. When they see your cool toy, they rush to buy it and it you won’t sell it, they rush to build one of their own. But in a little while they lose interest and go off and build another toy. And another. And another. And…