Weekend Updates (Archive)

Posted: 16 September 2011 06:59 PM

Now open for the weekend!

[ Edited: 19 September 2011 12:36 AM by DawnTreader ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 16 September 2011 07:30 PM #1

It’s going to be a nice weekend smile

Posted: 16 September 2011 07:42 PM #2

rolleyes

I’m gonna pretend I didn’t hear yet another gratuitous declaration of how much money so and so made this weekend.

If only because my own trading week was pretty decent overall.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 16 September 2011 07:48 PM #3

adamthompson3232 - 16 September 2011 10:31 PM

Five-figure Fridays kick ass.

Yes they do! Actually had a few five-figure days over the last week.  A bunch of my spreads are now ITM, and I’m still expecting a run up of 5%+ at least before earnings, so that should make all my OCT 11 spreads expire ITM.  After that, it’s rollout time to JAN and APRs.  My JAN 12 spreads are also doing pretty nicely.

I was actually wondering, does anybody do monthly ITM spreads on AAPL, returning, say 20% per month?  Right now, 375/380 OCT11 spreads cost $4.  That’s 25% return in just over a month, with very little downside risk. Assuming AAPL is going up or even flat, this would seem like a sure fire way to make tons of cash every month, possibly going all-in.

Posted: 16 September 2011 07:51 PM #4

adamthompson3232 - 16 September 2011 10:31 PM

Five-figure Fridays kick ass.

$100.00 = FIVE figures?

wink

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 16 September 2011 08:06 PM #5

mjuarez - 16 September 2011 10:48 PM

this would seem like a sure fire way to make tons of cash every month, possibly going all-in.

This site has a bunch of frikken Daniel Negraneau’s. smile  That aside, I think your suggestion makes a ton of sense.  I did one of these with January’s a while back, and am thinking about going short term as well.

Posted: 16 September 2011 09:20 PM #6

mjuarez - 16 September 2011 10:48 PM

I was actually wondering, does anybody do monthly ITM spreads on AAPL, returning, say 20% per month?  Right now, 375/380 OCT11 spreads cost $4.  That’s 25% return in just over a month, with very little downside risk. Assuming AAPL is going up or even flat, this would seem like a sure fire way to make tons of cash every month, possibly going all-in.

that was my thing for a long time…

Posted: 16 September 2011 09:35 PM #7

HOORAY for 400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smile

smile

smile

(Sorry, didn’t get to post in Intraday before it closed!)

Posted: 16 September 2011 10:24 PM #8

lovemyipad - 17 September 2011 12:35 AM

smile

smile

smile

I had a few covered calls expire today….sept 17 400’s.  I was not able to track the close due to business commitments so was surprised to find my absolute conviction that we would close below 400 was, well, to be in error. :bugeyed:

I’ll buy the shares back on Monday if they are called away, as I expect.  Just hope we don’t gap up right at the open and never look back.

Gee, I thought 400 was not in the cards until we got the press release…and I knew that wasn’t going to happen on a Friday.

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 16 September 2011 10:31 PM #9

Technically, media invite, not press release.  That technicality aside, 100% agree, if Apple didn’t make a media announcement by Tuesday/Wednesday this week, Friday was totally out of the question.

I see 400 and change as a sign of strength.  Volatility always looms but AAPL has a damn good chance of separating from the pack with the earnings run-up and any media invite leading up to a good new product announcement and potentially epic burst of initial sales.  And that’s why I rebalanced and picked up medium-ish term options to Jan/Apr 12s, which is a good, if 100% “unhedged”, mix of appreciation power which allows me to ride out any September/October jitters. 

Though that media invite will be within a few weeks…right?  Talk about a “news drought” for Apple, even if the reality is far different from the perception.

[ Edited: 16 September 2011 10:57 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 16 September 2011 10:45 PM #10

Red Shirted Ensign - 17 September 2011 01:24 AM

smile

smile

smile

I had a few covered calls expire today….sept 17 400’s.  I was not able to track the close due to business commitments so was surprised to find my absolute conviction that we would close below 400 was, well, to be in error. :bugeyed:

I’ll buy the shares back on Monday if they are called away, as I expect.  Just hope we don’t gap up right at the open and never look back.

Gee, I thought 400 was not in the cards until we got the press release…and I knew that wasn’t going to happen on a Friday.

Red, look at the tape, the last 30 minutes of a session on a quad-witching day is to make the most pain to call and put holders.

What will happen Monday? We have the Bernanke Put, which brings downside floor through the release of minutes of Fed meeting.

Sentiment that barring headline risk, will get underinvested players chase gains. It happened the whole week, bearishness and surprising upside.

Resistance at SPX proved strong at 1220 as expected and we have it all the way to 1230. Will start to get overbought sometime next week. Doing very little on such shaky ground. Regrets? Never when preserving capital and still making some.

So, Monday is a new day.

Now, please release the invitation to lovemyipad and our friends that care to join for drinks at the picket line. grin

Posted: 16 September 2011 10:59 PM #11

Lovey, Mav, Adam, Mercel, Sponge, Roni, Blaze, Mark, Unique, ( no beer for you , kid), JD…..everybody

Chill and enjoy. The drinks are on Brazilnuts.  LOL

[ Edited: 16 September 2011 11:03 PM by Red Shirted Ensign ]

Signature

Posted: 16 September 2011 11:11 PM #12

smile

smile

smile

That must’ve been one hell of a nooner! grin
    (you’re welcome R!)

Posted: 16 September 2011 11:16 PM #13

Huh?  We didn’t _all_ bet on RIMM, did we Ensign?

If so…awesome!

If you were just setting the table for a relaxing weekend topic, that’s just fine too.  Virtual rounds for everyone!

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 16 September 2011 11:16 PM #14

ChasMac77 - 17 September 2011 02:11 AM

smile

smile

smile

That must’ve been one hell of a nooner! grin
    (you’re welcome R!)

:bugeyed:

Signature

Posted: 16 September 2011 11:21 PM #15

Mav - 17 September 2011 02:16 AM

Huh?  We didn’t _all_ bet on RIMM, did we Ensign?

If so…awesome!

I could not pull the trigger on the RIMM puts, even though I had planned the play last June.

But….a weakened RIMM, losing credibility, market share and,,,hope…is good for Apple. Plus, 400 should be celebrated anyway.

In the picture you can clearly pick out Adam with a goblet of Grey Goose…...the guy with the hat.

Signature